Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Crusader posted:

Haven't had a chance to asteroid wrangle yet, but the new SLS parts are immensely satisfying in and of themselves. It was really straightforward to replicate the first planned flight (EM-1) with what I felt was a close equivalent of the Block I stack - manned though; KSP doesn't truck in unmanned capsules outside of rescue missions:

This is sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Horrido posted:

With Helvetica, pretty please? Or Exo, it is actually quite futuristic and Squad already uses it.

Troll option: Comic sans.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Just remember for those who want to do a SLS, unlike the Saturn V the SLS is only 2 stages on the rocket. What looks like the third stage is in fact the service module of the Command Pod. It just has an extended (read: HUGE) Space Shuttle External Tank as its first stage, lacking the orange these days granted.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

I can't help but think a different kind of ARM was involved in the creation of that.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
time acceleration while attached to an asteroid can be dangerous, my craft just came out of time accel and instantly exploded into many many pieces :negative:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Does anyone else using a Mac have constant issues with it crashing while loading the launchpad? Not just with this version, but the past several? I started the game up this morning and was very quickly reminded why I stopped playing in the first place.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Good thing that claws and (I assume) asteroids don't break Monoprop flow. After having an impossible time steering a class C rock last night, I decided to see if RCS tugs strapped around something you're grabbing would work, and they do!

Those small tanks on the tugs are all turned off, and gravity's hacked for testing, but it's so much easier to steer a grabbed tank like that. Gotta test it on an asteroid soon :D

Also, be warned, the claw doesn't really take compression too well, so if you use more powerful engines you might want to consider pulling your rock instead of pushing it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Nice. Pity RCS probably won't have enough oomph to actually move the asteroid much (without a LOOOOOONG 'burn' anyway) but that could still be useful for orientation control.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Looks like two of the captive asteroids got flung back out into orbiting Kerbol by Mun and Minmus, but one of them is safely orbiting. Really need to up my tech to go visit that new moon.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Jumbo parts are great, asteroids are cool.
I need to be a little more ambitious and go after something larger than a Class A.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
We really need a tool for launching into non-zero inclination orbits. Or for recognising when an orbit plane crosses your launch site.

Those kind of things are in Orbiter and are reaaaaally useful for rendezvousing with other targets.

You can save fuel too, because you don't need a plane change - although the fuel saved could be spent launching into a non-zero inclination (lack of rotational speed from the planet) so that may cancel each other out.

Anyway, how do we make this happen? MechJeb has a "launch inclination" feature in the ascent guidance. But for manual things? Maybe in Protractor, Enigma?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

thehustler posted:

Anyway, how do we make this happen? MechJeb has a "launch inclination" feature in the ascent guidance. But for manual things? Maybe in Protractor, Enigma?

Just eyeball it and carry more fuel to supply correction burns. :jeb:

As long as you get into the ballpark it's not super hard to fix, if you've ever done it for Minimus that's pretty much all you need to know.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
You can use mech jeb to tell you when to launch and you can have it set the nav ball target to the correct inclination. Then fly it manually yourself.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zero One posted:

You can use mech jeb to tell you when to launch and you can have it set the nav ball target to the correct inclination. Then fly it manually yourself.

Speaking of which, any word on a fix for Mechjeb?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I lost my entire first stage early during booster (and unintentional main engine) separation, and still made it to orbit with 4 km/s delta-v with a three man pod. New parts are insane.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
It's really weird to me to have a new part set larger than 2.5m with an emphasis on heavy first stage lifters when 2.5 still has two high-consumption engines and from what I can tell, the Poodle still sucks except for being the only thing that looks reasonable on 2.5m craft. It's cool to see more rockets that look like real rockets instead of splaying outwards, which is something that's been difficult without mods like KW, but the gulf between the Skipper and Poodle is even more awkward now. I hope 0.24 does automatic shrouds based on the decoupler below or something to allow more customization at the larger sizes.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

DStecks posted:

Speaking of which, any word on a fix for Mechjeb?

It should be fixed already, just grab the latest development release.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

pun pundit posted:

Troll option: Comic sans.

This, but for real, please. Kerbals probably loving love Comic Sans.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

This, but for real, please. Kerbals probably loving love Comic Sans.

They may have no safety standards, and regularly send crews to their death in the name of earning science, but they aren't monsters!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Who likes volumetric clouds? :yaycloud:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Zero One posted:

I didn't think of that. Thanks!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

The new ion engines are useful/fun for rover action. I set the thrust limiter to around 60% for both engines here and was able to cruise around KSC gracefully at full thrust at around 20m/s.

Jeb agrees.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I cleaned up and recompiled EditorExtensions and SelectRoot if any of you use them. They wouldn't compile straight up and they used some older calls so I wouldn't be surprised if people were having trouble with the old ones. Just drop the new DLL over what you have at the moment.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71576136/KSP/EditorExtensions.dll
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71576136/KSP/SelectRoot.dll

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

mad.radhu posted:

time acceleration while attached to an asteroid can be dangerous, my craft just came out of time accel and instantly exploded into many many pieces :negative:

k, so far this is repeatable: I had one claw (just the claw, used a sepatron to detach it) attached to a C class, and grappled it with another craft. Both had been pivoted to Center of Mass on the asteroid. Any measure of time acceleration with focus on the second craft caused it (the craft) to immediately disintegrate (violently) upon coming out of time acceleration. Detaching the first claw from the rock seemed to fix it.

Anyone else wanna try it?

mad.radhu fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 2, 2014

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Oh holy gently caress.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The whole thing is really great, but I particularly like this still from the latest cinematic.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Falken posted:

Oh holy gently caress.

That looks amazing but I'm already cringing at the framerate implications. I don't suppose the update fixed the seemingly enormous GPU load of looking at the ocean?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

haveblue posted:

That looks amazing but I'm already cringing at the framerate implications.

I've been fiddling with the mod for a bit, and on my end at least, there's no noticeable performance drop with these loaded (they very quickly LOD out into flat sprites, so you'll only get the effect when it matters). They look fantastic to boot.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Met posted:

The whole thing is really great, but I particularly like this still from the latest cinematic.

That's not the right map for Kerbin.
:goonsay:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

That's strange. It's mirrored.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Germstore posted:

That's strange. It's mirrored.

No, it's totally out of order. Duna should be next to kerbin which should be next to eve if it was mirrored; instead the planets appear in a mixed up order.

Which I guess I should expect at the KSC, but still...

Edit: Oh wait, yeah, the world map is mirrored. My bad.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So hey, where the hell are the Basic Flight and Orbiting 101 tutorials? The only thing I have under training missions is To the Mun Part 1, which strongly recommends that I already have Basic Flight and Orbiting 101 under my belt.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

haveblue posted:

That looks amazing but I'm already cringing at the framerate implications. I don't suppose the update fixed the seemingly enormous GPU load of looking at the ocean?

Actually I've not noticed that much of a framerate smash from the clouds. They do get awfully bright when you're flying through them, but its still pretty awesome!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

After further testing, top Kerbals have decided that this needs further testing.

Those clouds look really cool, I might have to check those out. The clouds and city lights mod was the cause of a lot of random crashing and FPS hits in .23 for me, has that been alleviated at all?

nvm no cake fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 2, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

So hey, where the hell are the Basic Flight and Orbiting 101 tutorials? The only thing I have under training missions is To the Mun Part 1, which strongly recommends that I already have Basic Flight and Orbiting 101 under my belt.

Should be under training on the main menu. Try verifying your KSP game cache on Steam, and if that fails, try a complete re-install. Sounds like you may be missing some files somewhere.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Met posted:

That man is playing Galaga! Thought we wouldn't notice... but we did.

e: Just tried out the SRBs and liquid boosters. Good lord these are powerful.

Falken fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 2, 2014

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Space elevator, going up.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

New career mode game, went to track some asteroids and found one remarkably close by.

So now I've got about a week to slap a space program together and capture this thing.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Is anyone else getting a lot of crash to desktops (windows 8 64 bit, i5, r7 260x)? It always happens when I'm playing with maneuver nodes, and it's happened with the current and previous version. I just got a new system, so I'd be afraid it is hardware, but everything else has been rock solid. All drivers are up to date. The only mod I have is kerbal engineer.

KSP never crashed on my old system. So I'm thinking maybe a bad interaction with the videocard driver? Besides KSP the only 3D games I've played for any amount of time since the upgrade are EVE, Sims 3 and Dirt 3 and they haven't crashed at all but with KSP it is basically every other launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Met posted:

Middle monitor closest to the front is running Windows 3.1. :science:

• Locked thread