Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Playing on Hard difficulty is fuckin' hard, especially if you hate grinding testing contracts- but it's pretty drat difficult to get anywhere with the insane weight limit for the launchpad and the cost to upgrade it.

I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That's my one problem so far even on normal, it makes me think I'm going to HAVE to do testing contracts to progress and I'm really really :geno: about those

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wooten posted:

Its really easy to gently caress yourself taking the wrong contracts before you realize just how constrained you are.

Even being careful about my contracts, my hard mode progress is just crawling at a snail's pace. I love it.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Sokani posted:

Good thing the plan was to splash down the whole time. Bill can't steer.

I once, just for informative purposes, sent Bill out on an EVA- while his capsule was re-entering at about 12,000 m,

I wasn't paying attention totally, so the capsule itself (and Jeb and Bob within) promptly reached terminal velocity, and smashed into the ground with, what I'm sure was, quite a bit of force.

Bill was listed as MIA for a couple of missions, and must somehow have adapted self-aerobraking technology, because he showed up back in the Astronaut Complex like 3 missions later, ready and raring to go.

In other words, Bill doesn't need to steer.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Wooten posted:

Its really easy to gently caress yourself taking the wrong contracts before you realize just how constrained you are.

This is the truth. I managed to rescue a guy from orbit without targeting or maneuver nodes. On the one hand it took sooo long, but on the other it was pretty satisfying to pull it off and realize how much I've learned about doing things in game.

And if anyone was curious, if you rescue a stranded Kerbal it looks like you can go over your max allotment in the Astronaut Complex. Right now showing up as 6 available with a max of 5.

Lansdowne fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 16, 2014

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Kwik posted:

In other words, Bill doesn't need to steer.

Engineers can fix broken parts. Kerbals are mostly made of parts.

And thus, Bill the Immortal unseated Jeb and took his rightful place as Kerbal Prime.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Where the hell are the landing gear? I have the Aerodynamics parts but not a single landing gear.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yikes, if you want a challenge, accept an orbital rescue mission before you have the capability to set up maneuver nodes and intercepts on the map.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Fina posted:

Where the hell are the landing gear? I have the Aerodynamics parts but not a single landing gear.

The landing gear are in a seperate node, I think. Also, that small landing gear is very, very inadequate for the MK3 parts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So I think to myself, self, you've never built a plane before, let's try to build one for these survey contracts that are up. Bound to be better than testing parts, right?

Then I remember that A) I don't even have any landing gear and B) flying on an LV-909 is going to take a while :saddowns:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ciaphas posted:

So I think to myself, self, you've never built a plane before, let's try to build one for these survey contracts that are up. Bound to be better than testing parts, right?

Then I remember that A) I don't even have any landing gear and B) flying on an LV-909 is going to take a while :saddowns:

Parachutes work for landing gear, and you won't get far on an lv-909 in an atmosphere, the sea level isp is an atrocious 300s. You can do it from orbit, though, right?

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

EightBit posted:

Parachutes work for landing gear, and you won't get far on an lv-909 in an atmosphere, the sea level isp is an atrocious 300s. You can do it from orbit, though, right?

Gotta be under 19.5km. I think I'll use a couple boosters to fly suborbital to nearby then glide to a stately finish :v:

(edit) Haw, that worked perfectly. I think I have a new appreciation for FAR, though, flying is weird.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 16, 2014

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

So ... I take it this is roundabout confirmation that Squad will be accepting bitcoin? :smug:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Gotta be under 19.5km. I think I'll use a couple boosters to fly suborbital to nearby then glide to a stately finish :v:

(edit) Haw, that worked perfectly. I think I have a new appreciation for FAR, though, flying is weird.

Yeah, I'm not exactly looking forward to grinding through this stuff without FAR, but I'm too excited to just wait.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is anyone else having trouble reading the reputation meter?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Keiya posted:

So, half the time the controls inexplicably don't work and enemies will move from off-screen to one-hit-killing you almost instantly?

No, that's just how x64 is these days.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Ah poo poo. Here I just managed to make that damned spaceplane(Catfish Mk. 28) almost work with all the fiddly Interstellar junk.

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD BOYS, WE'RE STARTING FROM SCRATCH(thank god)!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Man it's like flying blind in the early going. I had to spend money to upgrade the launchpad so I could get to the Mun, then couldn't even see SOI changes so I had to roughly guess my intercept. I definitely don't have enough skill to get to Minmus without SOI change info or maneuver nodes so I guess I better get comfortable doing Mun contracts for a while :v:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The horizon trick that works for the moon is pretty good for Minmus, too, just wait until it is 7ish degrees above Kerbin.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Anyone else having a problem using the "load" button in the VAB? Clicking on the launchpad dirt mound lets me pull up saved ships, but the VAB refuses to give me that menu. Not sure if bug or just my install...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

The horizon trick that works for the moon is pretty good for Minmus, too, just wait until it is 7ish degrees above Kerbin.

The problem is that the SOI of Minmus is so small that not being able to see when I have an intercept will make it way more guesswork than it's worth. No maneuver nodes to change planes will compound that problem. It's alright though, these Mun survey missions will get me enough to get by for a while!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Hard mode is a motherfucker, it's tricky to turn a profit on lots of the contracts.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, Hard is definitely that. Forcing myself to increment through the "new altitude record" contracts" for max rep/cash, then invest 25% into fundraising strat (the rep-->cash one). The first thing to get upgraded is the launchpad; 18 tons is barely enough to orbit on.

Edit: No fuel transfer? How evil.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 16, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

OAquinas posted:

:drat:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I don't know what it is, but I've gained about 20fps on linux with this update, even with a bunch of mods. It's ridiculously smooth now and I can dock giant 1000+ part stations with little to no lag. Nice work, Squad.

This game is the exemplar of early access games.

Edit: That's on a radeon hd5770 too, so double the :aaa:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, Hard is definitely that. Forcing myself to increment through the "new altitude record" contracts" for max rep/cash, then invest 25% into fundraising strat (the rep-->cash one). The first thing to get upgraded is the launchpad; 18 tons is barely enough to orbit on.

Fuel transfer wasn't in the difficulty options, is it something you have to reserach?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It's probably unlocked with a building upgrade.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah, the one meeeellion keso upgrade to the science building allows "resource transfers."

The launchpad upgrade was well worth going first though--raises the part count from 30 to 255 and weight from 18 to 140t. Second upgrade is unlim/unlim, but this will do me for a while.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So for the contracts stuff, what does "Longitude of Ascending Node: 302 degrees" mean? As well as "Argument of the Periapsis: 93.6 degrees"? I'm starting to get satellite contract offers and I don't quite understand those parameters.

And boy, they sure want those satellites high up, don't they? Guess there isn't much use for LKO satellites.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So for the contracts stuff, what does "Longitude of Ascending Node: 302 degrees" mean? As well as "Argument of the Periapsis: 93.6 degrees"? I'm starting to get satellite contract offers and I don't quite understand those parameters.

And boy, they sure want those satellites high up, don't they? Guess there isn't much use for LKO satellites.

When you accept the contract, I believe it should show a ghost-version in map mode, of the orbit they want it to go to. All you have to do is match it. The parameters are more useful for people using automated systems etc.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Now imagine people using Cartesian coordinates for orbits and orbiting objects orbiting those objects...

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Now imagine people using Cartesian coordinates for orbits and orbiting objects orbiting those objects...

sounds really messy.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Maxmaps posted:

We think Hard is NES Hard, not Wii Hard. :colbert:

This statement pleases me in many ways. Thanks Maxmaps.

...That is unless it's NES BattleToads hard. Then I have some choice words for you.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, there goes my morning and probably half of today.

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
Does recovering debris from the tracking station give you funds back? I didn't keep track of my funds before and after, and there was no on screen confirmation that I had received funds. Wondering if I'm wasting my time attaching radial parachutes to my early stages.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't think I destroyed anything, but now I cannot even see my craft on the map view. Just the occasional spent stage's trajectory

e: nevermind; I guess I had to go to the tracking station to turn on my vessels category, and I see no option to do that from in-flight??????

ee: The in-flight map mode sorting/filtering toggle auto-tucks into the top middle of the screen

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 16, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Vain posted:

Does recovering debris from the tracking station give you funds back? I didn't keep track of my funds before and after, and there was no on screen confirmation that I had received funds. Wondering if I'm wasting my time attaching radial parachutes to my early stages.

Anything "in atmosphere" that is beyond 2.5km from your craft gets instantly deleted unless it has already landed. Also stuff that lands too close to the landing pad gets deleted. You're likely wasting time.

There are probably mods to work around this however.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Shanakin posted:

Anything "in atmosphere" that is beyond 2.5km from your craft gets instantly deleted unless it has already landed. Also stuff that lands too close to the landing pad gets deleted. You're likely wasting time.

There are probably mods to work around this however.

There's deb-refund stage recovery, but it seems like it only works when debris are beyond the deletion range. It's also not updated yet.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I just started a .25 career that I spent more time downloading mods for than playing :smithicide:

Look like it's last stable build for me for a while!

• Locked thread