Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

I'm sick of my head doing things.
0.90 is live! Hope you guys don't have finals to study for! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

Asimo posted:

Okay, what the hell am I doing wrong. Trying to launch a plane! Except every one I make immediately noses up hard once it's off the pad winds up completely uncontrollable. Everything's symmetrical, plenty of lift and control surfaces and all that, weight and thrust and lift all lined up... but it doesn't matter if the center of lift is ahead of the CoM, vice versa, big planes, small planes, whatever. And it's not a control calibration thing, I don't have (or have ever had) joysticks or anything like that hooked up and the flaps remain neutral unless I'm hitting something. I'm pretty sure it's not a new patch thing since I remember having this issue last patch too, but I recall craft like the ones I'm making working fine a while back... there's obviously something basic I'm missing. :psyduck:

Your CoL should be behind the CoM, not in front of it. But not too far behind it, if that makes any sense.

edit: I made this SSTO earlier today, and while I'm not that great at planes it works pretty well. You'll note that the CoM is only slightly ahead of the CoL - it's actually not an ideal placement, since as the plane burns fuel the CoM moves further back, which can throw the balance completely out of whack. But it does work - the canards tend to help a lot.

Kinger fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 16, 2014

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

loving hell, it's a lot more difficult to earn money now. And with the high cost to upgrade structures.....

I guess what I'm saying is that this game is hard again! Even on normal!

Kinger
Sep 30, 2003

revdrkevind posted:

I think the game was still hard for lots of people, as evidenced by people coming into the thread and saying they were completely stuck on one point or another. It's just that we have a community with years of experience who can give you tips like "burn at Munrise" or Scott Manley videos to make things easier.

That's true. I guess part of it is that I've been playing since 0.19 or so, which means I got used to grinding out a bunch of funds/science early on with only a few nodes unlocked. Now I'm suddenly realizing that I can't do that - a significant amount of my early funding has to go into upgrading buildings - the starting VAB and launchpad are a huge priority, as are mission control (so you can have more than two active contracts) and the tracking station (maneuver nodes!)

Don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining. I'm really enjoying the challenge, and it's definitely more like what I was hoping to see from career mode.

It's just an adjustment, that's all.

Kinger fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread