Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

not not luvd posted:

They have two.

I would have said this before the season, but turns out Loldado is ultra wank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blue Screen Error posted:

Lukaku's agent says he's been in talks with Spurs over a possible move, he also says he won't be going to Swansea.

He knows he wouldn't be able to compete with Wilfried Bony, same as he knows he can't compete with Chelsea's strike options.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Jose posted:

Mitroglou has gone to Italy for treatment for a knee injury and might not play again this season. I'd say he's up there with Lamela for the worst signing this season considering how badly Fulham need someone to score goals

loving lol. What a waste of a shirt he's been.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

not not luvd posted:

Worried about this. If Spurs end up with a better centre forward than we do I will be pissed.

Please don't.

The transfer thread last summer was full of people (especially arsenal posters) melting down because Tottenham bought all those great players and were going to win the league.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

sassassin posted:

He knows he wouldn't be able to compete with Wilfried Bony, same as he knows he can't compete with Chelsea's strike options.

I reckon if Lukaku doesn't sign for us we will just nick Bony off you anyway ftw

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

We do love to nick things after all

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

euroboy posted:

Please don't.

The transfer thread last summer was full of people (especially arsenal posters) melting down because Tottenham bought all those great players and were going to win the league.

Well didn't basically every pundit tell us this was a fact waiting to happen? Not winning the league but easily top 4 even maybe 2nd.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Myssu posted:

I don't think you can include Aspas in that list - he was always going to be a squad player, and it would be basically impossible to break into our attacking lineup this year. He only has one goal and one assist, but he's not had that many appearances and most of those as substitutes. He showed a bit of promise in preseason also, for whatever that is worth.

Overall, I think he'll work out as a decent covering player - he's only a bad investment when you consider his relative cost to someone like Sturridge.

Maybe I'm just an optimist though, I still think Borini will come good too.

Call me old fashioned but if you are wearing a number between 1-11 you should be expected to be at worst be a borderline starter.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Duncan Sperguson posted:

I reckon if Lukaku doesn't sign for us we will just nick Bony off you anyway ftw

Why not just take Van Persie on loan? He'll want to play in the CL

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

euroboy posted:

Please don't.

It did seem they were replacing Bale with a far more balanced team, outside of defenders. Getting in a good manager might make a huge difference but lol if Sherwood somehow stays in the job

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

euroboy posted:

Please don't.

Not really relevant. It's not about being scared by them it's about not wanting a lesser team to have better players when we're in dire need.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

not not luvd posted:

Not really relevant. It's not about being scared by them it's about not wanting a lesser team to have better players when we're in dire need.

I dont think you get how being a lesser team works. If they have better players are they really a lesser team?

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009

not not luvd posted:

Would you say they're an unterteam?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Duncan Sperguson posted:

You'll have to nick Ł20m or so first.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal's last 10 games :stare:

There are teams in a relegation fight in better form.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal's last 10 games :stare:

There are teams in a relegation fight in better form.

We cannot afford to lose on Sunday. Or next weekend for that matter.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

euroboy posted:

Please don't.

Christ.

People said that if those players all gelled together they'd be a scary side. Thankfully they didn't, AVB got sacked and now they have a clueless guy in charge.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

not not luvd posted:

We cannot afford to lose on Sunday. Or next weekend for that matter.

Due for a win, it'll be alright...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Duncan Sperguson posted:

No way Big Brendan's mates at Swansea will sell to your lot

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

No way Big Brendan's mates at Swansea will sell to your lot

We have a Swansea affiliate as our manager too it'll happen

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
Not only is Bobby Martinez going to finish above United in the table he's also going to break Everton's record points total in the PL.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Duncan Sperguson posted:

We have a Swansea affiliate as our manager too it'll happen
Nooooo :negative:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

irlZaphod posted:

Christ.

People said that if those players all gelled together they'd be a scary side. Thankfully they didn't, AVB got sacked and now they have a clueless guy in charge.

People should keep in mind that a lot of those players will have had a full season under their belts too, so they'll be more used to the league. I can see a lot of those players improving drastically under a better manager. If Spurs really do have Van Gaal lined up and exercise patience, it might be a case of wrongly predicting when Spurs become a scary side rather than if.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Eric Cantonese posted:

People should keep in mind that a lot of those players will have had a full season under their belts too, so they'll be more used to the league. I can see a lot of those players improving drastically under a better manager. If Spurs really do have Van Gaal lined up and exercise patience, it might be a case of wrongly predicting when Spurs become a scary side rather than if.

They're all Fernando Torres.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

So what you're saying is, next year might be their year?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

T Fowl posted:

They're all Fernando Torres.

He was good once. He started off well and then got even better and then Liverpool broke him.

Gareth Bale started off as a joke too. Now he's a swole, stylish marketing juggernaut.

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Cart Cam posted:

Not only is Bobby Martinez going to finish above United in the table he's also going to break Everton's record points total in the PL.

Phwoar it's enough to make you want to rub your thighs vigorously.

Remember the sniggers when he said in his first Press Conference that his target was Champions League?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Duncan Sperguson posted:

Phwoar it's enough to make you want to rub your thighs vigorously.

Remember the sniggers when he said in his first Press Conference that his target was Champions League?

No. I thought it was a good target.

I'd still be worried about what Martinez can do beyond loans. Who were his best buys at Wigan?

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

No. I thought it was a good target.

I'm talking about the literal, audible sniggers in the room when he said it, from the journalists.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Call me old fashioned but if you are wearing a number between 1-11 you should be expected to be at worst be a borderline starter.

I didn't even know that this was the case :D

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I remember there was some talk in the CL thread about a commentator calling Antonio Valencia one of the fastest players in the world and people (myself included) not believing it. Apparently it's true :stare:

Measured top speed, acording to FIFA posted:

1. Antonio Valencia, Manchester United: 35,1 km/t
2. Gareth Bale, Real Madrid: 34,7 km/t
3. Aaron Lennon, Tottenham: 33,8 km/t
4. Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid: 33,6 km/t
5. Theo Walcott, Arsenal: 32,7 km/t
6. Lionel Messi, Barcelona: 32,5 km/t
7. Wayne Rooney, Manchester United: 31,2 km/t
8. Franck Ribéry, Bayern München: 30,7 km/t
9. Arjen Robben, Bayern München: 30,4 km/t
10. Alexis Sánchez, Barcelona: 30,1 km/t

(This test was done on star players, so that guy you know thats a sprinter and also sort of good at football doesnt count)

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
If only he wasn't poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Acceleration is far more important in football

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

Well acceleration is pretty much the only thing Valencia is good at these days :v:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

re: Lukaku

Supposedly, Lukaku wants to stay at Everton, so if they somehow scrape together the cash...

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

not not luvd posted:

If only he wasn't poo poo.

He was pretty good for a while. He's only looked bad this season as far as I know.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

He was pretty good for a while. He's only looked bad this season as far as I know.

and last season and the one before

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

so I can be the vision

Jose posted:

It's why bale is worth €100m euros tbh.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

and last season and the one before

yes, but the season before THAT he was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

TheRat posted:

I remember there was some talk in the CL thread about a commentator calling Antonio Valencia one of the fastest players in the world and people (myself included) not believing it. Apparently it's true :stare:

(This test was done on star players, so that guy you know thats a sprinter and also sort of good at football doesnt count)

I dont believe any of these. Mainly because I don't buy that the fastest players in European football from every league are coincidentally also the most technically able, aside from Valencia and Lennon.

• Locked thread