Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I remember there was some talk in the CL thread about a commentator calling Antonio Valencia one of the fastest players in the world and people (myself included) not believing it. Apparently it's true :stare:

Measured top speed, acording to FIFA posted:

1. Antonio Valencia, Manchester United: 35,1 km/t
2. Gareth Bale, Real Madrid: 34,7 km/t
3. Aaron Lennon, Tottenham: 33,8 km/t
4. Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid: 33,6 km/t
5. Theo Walcott, Arsenal: 32,7 km/t
6. Lionel Messi, Barcelona: 32,5 km/t
7. Wayne Rooney, Manchester United: 31,2 km/t
8. Franck Ribéry, Bayern München: 30,7 km/t
9. Arjen Robben, Bayern München: 30,4 km/t
10. Alexis Sánchez, Barcelona: 30,1 km/t

(This test was done on star players, so that guy you know thats a sprinter and also sort of good at football doesnt count)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

Acceleration is far more important in football

Well acceleration is pretty much the only thing Valencia is good at these days :v:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ravel posted:

I dont believe any of these. Mainly because I don't buy that the fastest players in European football from every league are coincidentally also the most technically able, aside from Valencia and Lennon.

Everyone knows that Messi and Ronaldo are absolutely stupidly fast though?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Rooney though? Maybe in 2003

I know people love calling rooney fat and lazy, but he's probably got the highest work rate on the team and is, in fact, very fast.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ravel posted:

Right but I don't buy that Messi is any quicker than, say, Abate. Besides Messi isn't so much a sprinter as he is good at turning ninety degrees at top speed.

You just dont notice it because everything else he does is so good, but Messi's acceleration is godly.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

He's not that fast now though. That's like 5 years ago.

He's lost a lot of sprint speed as he's gotten older (and fatter) compared to someone like Ronaldo who's probably faster than he was

Pretty sure that was last season, mate.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Modus Trollens posted:

isn't that the 8-2?

United had their home kit in the 8-2.

E: My bad, it was 2010.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Are we all just asuming that Bayern have no interest in keeping Mandzukic?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

Good looking young goalie who doesn't need a helmet versus an average looking older chump with a fragile skull? There's no contest. Time for Cech to go to Italy.

I dont know about that, Cech is really quite handsome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mourinho owns so god drat much.

• Locked thread