Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Jose posted:

Mitroglou has gone to Italy for treatment for a knee injury and might not play again this season. I'd say he's up there with Lamela for the worst signing this season considering how badly Fulham need someone to score goals

Lamela, Mitroglou, Altidore, Fellaini, Soldado. There's a lot of great candidates this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

tbf Aspas is looking like one too.

Aspas has barely played (less than 5 games in total in the league), and when he has he's mostly been out of position, but I still think he looked alright. The only time he started a game up front he scored. It's not like not being able to get a game ahead of Suarez or Sturridge necessarily means you're poo poo.

Cissokho has definitely looked worse for us.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Hoops posted:

Well we've pretty much avoided injuries the whole season, particularly to the most important players. But then again Suarez was banned for the start of the season, so that was "unlucky" in the sense our best player did something mental and got banned.

What's characterised Liverpools season is massive scorelines and pretty much all those games had nothing to do with luck.

Enrique got a season ending injury and Sturridge, Sterling, Allen, Lucas, Johnson, Agger, Sakho and Cissokho have all missed games in an already thin squad. We've had a 16 year old who'd only just been promoted to the reserves as the only midfielder on the bench for a couple of games this season. Given that Suarez is indestructible and only misses games due to his own insanity I don't think we've been particularly lucky at all.

not not luvd posted:

Maybe we're not talking about the same posts. It's a pointless discussion anyway. If you don't think Liverpool have been fantastically lucky this season (while still deserving a lot of credit and playing brilliantly) we're not really going to get anywhere.

All we need to remember is that Arsenal Are poo poo.

There's a difference between being lucky with injuries and having the sense not to pay Diaby 50k a week.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah but who is going to take the title of most racist from them?

The team whose captain called his teammate's brother a loving black oval office?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

no i made it up on the spot.

Maybe my mistake was posting about newcastle fans when there wasn't something going on for them to complain about. I should've mentioned it after the winter transfer window ended as they seemed very upset that Ashley wouldn't pay a premium to sign a Cabaye replacement so Newcastle could finish 8th instead of 10th.

Yes, gently caress them for being upset about their side losing their best player in January without even trying to replace him and giving up the season when they were safe from relegation. Don't they understand that football is a business?

irlZaphod posted:

The idea that there's no value in the Winter window is a myth, for example Liverpool signed this season's 2nd top scorer in the Winter window for just over a fifth what Fernando Torres cost.

Also there's a (probably fairly small) financial difference between finishing 8th and 10th.

It was around half a million per place before the new TV deal came in.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

James R posted:

Perfect example of how far Manchester United's position at the top has been declining under Ferguson and then Moyes is Wayne Rooney. In the past bigger and better players like Keane, Stam, Van Nistelrooy and Beckham were shown the door by United for giving indications they wanted to leave or for pissing off the manager. Wayne Rooney has been given bigger, and bigger contracts to re-sign! I mean.. £300k a week? I wonder who really thought he was worth that.

Back then they had a chance of attracting players of the same standard as replacements, if Rooney leaves the quality of the team will be lower for the foreseeable future unless they get lucky and find a Suarez.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

United went looking for somebody who was going to carry on in the manner that it was built, somebody who had the right work ethic and who would be able to show the right commitment to the club. It was very clear what they wanted, and why the chose the person they did, in the same way that Liverpool didn't go out and sign Rodgers purely because no-one else was available. They wanted him as part of the long-term project for the club. I don't think that was necessarily the wrong thing to do. Maybe in retrospect you do what Barcelona did and give Mike Phelan the opportunity to run the club full-time, but considering Brian Kidd and Carlos Queiroz, that may not have worked out brilliantly.

Moyes and Phelan, the only realistic options to manage one of the richest clubs in the world.

Duncan Sperguson posted:

Your team is poo poo and is exactly where it deserves to be. Write 10,000 more words about it.

I disagree, with a decent manager they could easily beat spurs to that last Europa league place.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

There was no real obligation on Moyes to win anything this year, and more than likely the next couple of years as well.

Will this still be the case for his successor? :allears:

Paperhouse posted:

Attracting players is more about money than anything else though. City paid their way from mediocrity to the top, signing players like Aguero, Toure and Silva before winning anything iirc and it didn't really take them very long. United won't have any trouble getting good players in if they're willing to pay what the other teams do.

They'll have no trouble attracting the players that teams offering money, champions league football and the chance of trophies don't want for whatever reason.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Spangly A posted:

I'm amazed how many people are buying into this "it was obvious" myth

it wasn't

quote psybro for comedy gold on page 2 though.

:confused: Seems like all the non-united fans predict them finishing 3rd-7th. Very few people have been surprised by the decline, just that they got this shite this fast.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Spangly A posted:

I'm amazed how many people are buying into this "it was obvious" myth

it wasn't

quote psybro for comedy gold on page 2 though.

psybro posted:

Hahaha oh man, United are not finishing outside the top 2 and you can loving print that.

James R posted:

Uncle, you mean?

:drat: :golfclap:

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

37 years ago united sacked Tommy Docherty for having an affair with the physio's wife, how times change.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

PirateBob posted:

:cawg: They're just going to leave it like this, aren't they. GJ "Communications Department".

I wonder if they were hand pict by Ferguson too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Lot 49 posted:

They need a massive clear out a lot more than a massive bringing in. Imo three new signings and a gently caress load of players shown the door would be ideal.

It's not like you'll be in enough competitions to need the squad depth.

• Locked thread