Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Theo Walcott's injury was the turning point. His pace and movement opened up the attack and it's no coincidence that Ozil and Giroud both look much worse without him in the side. The dumb thing is that replacements were available in January. Look at Salah for Chelsea as an example of exactly the kind of player that Arsenal lack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Arsene isn't stupid. If they miss out on top four, he'll spend a lot in the summer. He seems better suited to a director of football role since he seems to have trouble with man-management and tactics.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

TelekineticBear! posted:

Hard to believe come july gerrard will have captained liverpool to the league title and england to world cup glory

Stevie G. to score the winning goal in the world cup final. England 4 - USA 3, with a hattrick from our boy Jozy.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

DickEmery posted:

Don't think that can happen because of the draw.

Right...it won't happen because of the draw. :)

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Salt Water Solution posted:

The final nail in the Moyes coffin? Damning.

Once you lose the backing of the head chef, you're finished.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
I met a genius on the train
today
about 6 years old,
he sat beside me
and as the train
ran down along the coast
we came to the ocean
and then he looked at me
and said,
it's not pretty.

it was the first time I'd
realized
that.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

cheese posted:

A 14 game win streak would, in fact, earn Liverpool a trophy called the English Premier Barcaleys Premier League Championship Trophy (British).

You get a trophy for this.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Burqa King posted:

Good news everyone - the Soccernomics guys have waded into the debate and have decided that the key determinant for a club's league position is... http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e1e6e5d8-ca14-11e3-ac05-00144feabdc0.html

Seems like Econ 101. The best players are a scarce resource. Therefore, teams who can pay the most will end up with more of the best players. Teams with more of the best players are better than teams with the worst players.

On another note: After the incredible schadenfreude of yesterday, today I'm feeling a sorry for Moyes. Can someone help me understand my feelings?

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Jose can say whatever he wants. I don't think his 'mind games' will really affect either team. Liverpool v. Chelsea will still be an 'unstoppable force meets unmovable object' contest that will probably involve a red card, Stevie G scoring a penalty, and Mourinho throwing a tantrum.

On an unrelated note: it looks like Arsenal might get a new signing before the end of the season. https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/458682563641372672/photo/1. Such a great player when he's fit. I hope he doesn't break immediately.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Not 100% EPL-related, but here's an interesting article about tactics from a player's perspective:
http://deadspin.com/why-soccer-tactics-matter-a-player-explains-1566582214

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
We've moved into a parallel universe, home of the bust-boom cycle.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Skinty McEdger posted:

Daily Mail has put out it's worst 11 for the season.

And Jozy's on the bench again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

peanut- posted:

An article on possession

This might belong in the bad posts thread as it veers into DZ SiBoT territory, but I thought the bit at the end about Mourinho's philosophy was interesting enough:

Didn't Arrigo Sacchi say basically the same thing? That goals only occur as the result of defensive mistakes, and so a perfect game (i.e., a game with no mistakes) would end 0-0.

• Locked thread