Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Lukaku has proved at two different PL clubs that he can score at this level.

So why do Chelsea want to sell him when he's only going to get better?

He's 20 years old, has scored 1 in 2 for two different clubs not as good as Chelsea, and is pretty much the exact model of the strong lone striker you'd think they'd want to play in front of their hundreds of attacking midfielders. It's totally bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Wasn't he born in Belgium? There's a lot of things wrong with Belgium, but I'm pretty sure they've got legit birth certificates.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
At this point I think getting 11 players to actually turn up and pretend to play football should be considered an achievement for Newcastle. Forfeiting the rest of the games this season 3-0 would probably result in a better goal difference than you'll get playing them.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Bus - 1
Blue paint - 1 can
Congestion charge fee - On expenses

I hope they told those cyclists to stop riding on the pavement.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Moyes was never the right choice, but I feel a bit sorry for him because the players and senior staff at United do seem to have tried their hardest to completely gently caress him over.

Also this might be better for the finances thread, but surely United are going to get in trouble with the NYSE over this? Massive leaks of significant information before any official announcements from the business is very naught for a listed company.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Taff posted:

They can announce before the market opens. Its briefing journalists on stuff thats a no no according to @Andersred on twitter who does all the excellent financial stuff

Yeah that's what I mean. The number of journalists who knew exactly what was going on from sources inside the club before any official announcement seems like it should upset the regulators.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
In shocking news Guardiola has ruled himself out of the running so no-one needs to kill themselves.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
As much as I dislike United, pretending that it isn't still one of the biggest jobs in world football is silly. Guardiola and Ancelotti are probably the only two really delusional targets.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Can't be long before Januzaj kicks off wanting the same amount

Why would he ask for a pay cut?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Redundant posted:

It's overpaying, both short and long term, for a position that isn't exactly vital. If the talk of a £200 million budget is true I guess it doesn't matter too much but united have far more pressing concerns than a left back.

A lot of the Jonathan Wilson/Zonal Marking types are convinced that fullback is the most important position on the pitch in modern football.

Though I think that's predicated on the assumption that the rest of the team isn't poo poo.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gorn Myson posted:

If Diego Torres' book on Mourinho's tenure at Real Madrid is even partly true, then Mourinho capitulating the title by fielding a weakened team would very much be in his character.

He's like a child pretending he only didn't win the trophy because he didn't even bother trying.

Chelsea have enough cup tied and suspended players to put a strong enough team out regardless though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
An article on possession

This might belong in the bad posts thread as it veers into DZ SiBoT territory, but I thought the bit at the end about Mourinho's philosophy was interesting enough:

quote:

According to the Spanish journalist Diego Torres in a recent book, Jose Mourinho’s attitude to possession at Real Madrid was summed up thus.

1. The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors.
2. Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition.
3. Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it's better to encourage their mistakes.
4. Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake.
5. Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake.
6. Whoever has the ball has fear.
7. Whoever does not have it is therefore stronger.

This is tiki-taka’s direct nemesis: not necessarily anti-football, but definitely anti-something. The data from Australia proves that below a certain skill threshold, football is primarily a game of mistakes. Mourinho’s genius is in enacting his theory at the very highest level of football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Zenit, and he's played 6 won 6 so far.

• Locked thread