Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
The Cardiff badge and kit fiasco really digs at me but other than the cliche of going American sports team with their name I don't really see the name change as such a massive deal. It'll sound loving stupid if announcers call them by their full name, but I bet it bloody works as a marketing tool. I'm guessing a lot of the supporters frustration is born through not wanting to relinquish their (perceived) control of the football club, and seeing this happen elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Ewar Woowar posted:

I couldn't disagree more.

I expect many people would. But a drastic change from blue to red is a lot worse than making the clubs nickname, that's been with them a hundred years, official. IMO. I don't think for one second the history or folklore of a club should be forgotten or tarnished, but I don't see that happening here - potentially the opposite and a new era of unprecedented success could be upon Hull. Who knows?

I never really got Everton fans issue with the new badge either. Much cleaner design that still kept faith to the history of the club that the fans felt that it was new and they were somehow losing something by the change, but were they, really?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Spangly A posted:

Football clubs hate each other for industrial disputes and stadium relocations that predate most of the fans birth, so they're pretty big on the tradition thing as a rule.

Also Hull Tigers is dumb as gently caress, Cardiff Dragons is dumb as gently caress.

I'm aware of this, most of it is ridiculous. I hate Fulham, I hate Tottenham. There is nothing I can do about this, because the hatred feels genuinely there sometimes, but I realise how stupid it is.

The names are indeed laughable, but on the table of owners ruinin' our clubs, they're pretty pale. I would say the threats of them moving on if they don't get their way should be met with a kind gently caress off then from all fans. But really people obviously don't give that much of a gently caress and would rather take the money. So what's that say about tradition?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Headhunter posted:

It wasn't that it was new. It was because it looks like it's been designed by a 12 year old.

Having said that, a large section of our internet fan base did get particularly riled up about the fact that any change was happening at all, especially any change that dropped any existing elements of the badge (even though some of them hadn't even been around that long).

tl;dr: Football fans be crazy.

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/images/uploads/2013/11/evertonbadges_0.jpeg

4 badges here, top left is the rejected designed crest, top right is the 2014/15 crest others are fan crests. Picture below is the previous crest.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article8635182.ece/BINARY/original/everton.jpg

Tell me the rejected crest is not infinitely nicer to look at than the others. The fact the fans made Bill Kenwright cry over a really decent badge design is pretty funny.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Chelsea are gonna win the league

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

J Hume posted:

I met a genius on the train
today
about 6 years old,
he sat beside me
and as the train
ran down along the coast
we came to the ocean
and then he looked at me
and said,
it's not pretty.

it was the first time I'd
realized
that.

Love it.

Do you hear that? It's the sound of a thousand man utd fans changing their tune. Enjoy the Europa league boys and get used to it.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Earning 30 odd k a week and playing premier league football is never quite made it now ?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Shrapnig posted:

Might as well go on the dole

No doubt we'll be having a good laugh at pictures of Johnny Evans pushing shopping trolleys in the tescos carpark when he's only amassed 3 or 4 million over a 10 year period. I weep for footballers, they have it so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

peanut- posted:

An article on possession

This might belong in the bad posts thread as it veers into DZ SiBoT territory, but I thought the bit at the end about Mourinho's philosophy was interesting enough:

I know everyone is berating mourinho for this but noted tika taka from the other side of scouse land (martinez) spoke about football being a game of errors in that podcast he did so it's not as if this is just mou's thinking but pretty much common fact - and I personally found it ever so slightly insightful really as a different way of thinking. Its especially funny to read that after one huge glaring error from the weekend. That slip was pretty much his philosophy personified and gently caress me it's glorious.

• Locked thread