Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wenger :psyduck: I can't understand how a manager who lots of former players speak of very highly can't motivate a team of talented players into even looking like they give a poo poo.

It's really time for him to go. Jesus what an awful season and all of his decisions have been so questionable its beyond belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The Arsenal board have multiple times stated "There are funds available" Wenger is the one who loses out on a player like Higuain over a few million and then has a moan about there being no "value in the market" or whatever.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

He didn't say starting CB, just another CB when Vermaelen leaves.

Also, I can't believe Santi Cazorla made those comments. It would be insulting and annoying even if it came from a player who is all work-rate and had heart like Rosicky but coming from probably the biggest luxury player currently at Arsenal its infuriating.

not not luvd posted:

I don't believe it's completely Wenger. I think the board are more than happy with fourth.

I'm not so sure, Kroenke for example, has been more than willing to push for more success from his other sports teams. I'm sure in the end he wants to be as profitable as the other oval office bankers on the Arsenal board but the guy knows that sporting success is key. Even in the ridiculous communist train-wreck that is American sports he's spent the money to take the Denver Nuggets to the most success they've ever had and from all accounts its likely to continue.

I don't think that guy would look at Arsenal, as much as its derided and mocked in the press and by pundits and think "Yeah, well just cruise along"

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 9, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

not not luvd posted:

Also I don't really know anything about how Kroenke manages his US stuff but I find it hard to believe he's busting at the gut to spend money to take us up a place or two if we're making money in fourth.

I don't think he's dying to throw immense amounts of money at the problem but I also don't think he's as tone-deaf as people assume. Arsenal has been increasingly associated with a lack of ambition or desire for years now and while I doubt Kroenke gives one poo poo about winning titles I think he's well aware that if that perception continues Arsenal aren't going to continue to be profitable.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Ravel posted:

How different this season would have been had we bid 50m for Suarez lol

They weren't loving selling him. The transfer to be angry about was Higuain where Wenger just gave up on a transfer over a few million, in order to chase Suarez for even loving more money. Its so infuriating. We desperately needed another quality striking option and missing out on a great player, who was nearly certain to be moving clubs, because we were chasing down an even more expensive player, who was hardly a certainty for a transfer, from a club who have plenty of good reasons not to want to sell us their best player, is monumentally retarded.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 9, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

not not luvd posted:

I'm posting too much ITT but I think not paying what Napoli paid for Higuain was the right decision. He's not worth that and I do think Suarez was available if we paid the right amount of money and didn't take the piss.

I just don't think Liverpool selling Suarez was ever realistic. They weren't close, they were flat out not willing to sell him. The club risked legal action by refusing to honor his clause or whatever it was. They risked that because they wanted to keep Suarez not because Arsenal didn't pony up a few million more.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I think Podolski is a good player, that Arsene can't figure out how to set up a team to take advantage of one of the few direct, attacking minded players Arsenal have left at this point in the season is the kind of thing that makes me question his ability as manager.

not not luvd posted:

To be fair it's a lot of injuries not just one and one striker (not) literally catapult us into contention. Liverpool with Giroud instead of Suarez this year wouldn't be about to win the league.

I think the argument that people make a lot is that a Squad that aspires to win titles can't be paper-thin, and I think while a lot of it is "LMAO Arsenal" there is certainly a bit of truth in that. We've known Arsenal needed more players since last season, and while injuries have been pretty cruel to an already thin side, there was an entire window to try and address the problem and Wenger signed one player, who himself was injured.

It's a little bit baffling.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 9, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

In the immediate time following Wenger leaving the club its likely that the discussion of his time at Arsenal focuses on the last few rather lack luster years but I think as time passes people will rightly remember all he accomplished and think of him as a great servant to the club.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its weird how fixated people are on Wenger not spending as much money as loving Chelsea. Aside from very recently it's been understandable why Arsenal weren't constantly breaking the bank and its not like Wenger is perfect and there isn't plenty of room for criticizing him but its always "LMAO he didn't spend literally billions of dollars so small time"

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

not not luvd posted:

I'm glad you're here to post such hard hitting conclusions. I wonder if the teams that are able to spend literally a billion pounds might be doing slightly better. They are? I can't believe it!!!!!

That's a little unfair luvd, Zaph is only saying that while its stupid to complain about Arsenal not spending billions, there are perfectly reasonable criticisms to be made of Wenger and I don't think that's a crazy idea.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That was a good result, it was very nervy to start but credit to the players for a good performance.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I don't get why Spurs are in such a rush to get rid of Sherwood, the dude is definitely crazy but Spurs haven't been too terrible under him, their home form especially has been real good and don't they have something like 15 points from the last 6 matches? That doesn't seem like a manager that desperately needs replacing to me.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MrBling posted:

You obviously haven't seen the actual matches.

Is that seriously what people are mad about? The football hasn't been beautiful enough?

He's gotten them 33 out of 60 points possible in the league so far during the same time period both Arsenal and Everton have managed 36 out of 60. Its a perfectly reasonable record for a team like Spurs. It's not his fault that all those expensive players turned out to be poo poo and couldn't match the teams ambitions.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 29, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

MrBling posted:

Its that his tactics are baffling at best and he seems to no clue on how to actually utilise his players in the best way possible. Nothing to do with beautiful football.

When you're getting bossed by 10-man stoke for an entire half, something is loving wrong with your tactics.

Yeah when your tactics are bad and you don't know how to utilize your players what happens is your form improves and you manage to maintain pace with your rivals.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

There are better managers available than Sherwood, so there's no reason for Spurs to stick with him.

That's fine and all but maybe the club and fans shouldn't discuss the dude like he's a cancer plauging their organization and at least recognize that he's righted the ship and has done alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jose posted:

I don't think their form really did improve though. It stayed about where it was. Turns out having a far better team than most of the league means you outperform them even with a shite manager

It improved slightly. Something like 55% of possible points for AVB and 65% for Sherwood, not amazing but the dude has done fine, and its not his fault 100M in players like Soldado turned out to be total trash. Its one thing for Spurs to be interested in a manager they know can match their ambitions its another for them to pretend Sherwood has done them a massive disservice.

• Locked thread