Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

I think they maybe had a point about the pretzels.

It was decided that the pretzels could be dunked or coated in yogurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Amergin posted:

Great. However, private donations helped cover some of the cost in that article.
Irrelevant. Read the study. It costs ~14,000 per year to house each resident. The average annual saving in medical costs alone was $29,070. Even if you remove private donors from the funding mix and put the whole thing on the taxpayers, the program pays for itself.

If we implemented this thing nationwide tomorrow, your tax bill would go down. Stop opposing it out of blind stubborn stupidity.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The reason welfare programs even exist in the first place is because charity wasn't cutting it. The wealthy and the businesses they own don't give anywhere near the amount required to provide a decent safety net. And just to preempt it, please don't try to sell me a line about how they totally would if it wasn't for some crushing tax burden (that lower then its ever been in modern America).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Wait if we can pull this poo poo why were Combos not on the list?

This vote was a farce of democracy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Munkeymon posted:

That's really easy: you don't put it all in one place - spread it out across the whole metro area or whatever. This is not rocket surgery.

Also, the fact that the policies that generated the ghetto and the policies to provide low income housing were completely separate. You can easily do one without the other, though it requires there to not be a vested interest in keeping a segment of the policy poor

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 7, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

That's really flimsly logic there. I can dunk chips in dip, does that mean the dip is the actual snack?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ATP_Power posted:

Kinda surprised we haven't seen "service guarantees citizenship" as some kind of a right wing response to immigration reform. Maybe if Sky Marshall Bachmann had won the primary...

Biden also said a thing about stopping deportations recently, I guess time will tell if that was Biden foreshadowing or just him getting a heckler to quiet down.
The problem there is that then the wrong kind of people would demand the opportunity for service. If you know what I mean.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It was a public safety issue. Pretzels are stone-cold killers.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

GulMadred posted:

If we implemented this thing nationwide tomorrow, your tax bill would go down. Stop opposing it out of blind stubborn stupidity.

That's giving him too much credit. This is a case where Hanlon's razor is incorrect.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sounds like a conspiracy against Trader Joe's peanut-butter-filled pretzel nuggets, which should be the state snack of every state.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

That's really flimsly logic there. I can dunk chips in dip, does that mean the dip is the actual snack?

Texas compromised on that point. Its official state snack is tortilla chips and salsa.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

OAquinas posted:

Official Snack of the White House

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Axetrain posted:

The reason welfare programs even exist in the first place is because charity wasn't cutting it. The wealthy and the businesses they own don't give anywhere near the amount required to provide a decent safety net. And just to preempt it, please don't try to sell me a line about how they totally would if it wasn't for some crushing tax burden (that lower then its ever been in modern America).

Not to mention that shifts in economic health simultaneously either increase demand for charity while reducing charitable donations or decrease demand while increasing donations. The public sector does not have this problem.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

OAquinas posted:

We are probably lucky this isn't true. President Cheney and Vice President Rumsfeld... Ick

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Here's a direct link to the study: http://shnny.org/research/moore-place-permanent-supportive-housing-evaluation-study.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ATP_Power posted:

Kinda surprised we haven't seen "service guarantees citizenship" as some kind of a right wing response to immigration reform. Maybe if Sky Marshall Bachmann had won the primary...

Biden also said a thing about stopping deportations recently, I guess time will tell if that was Biden foreshadowing or just him getting a heckler to quiet down.

Only "service guarantees citizenship" is literally the Dream Act minus the provision that "service or a college degree guarantees citizenship" that Obama has been pushing and the right wing screams about because anything Obama does is the devil.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

JT Jag posted:

It depends on whether or not you double dip.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Amergin, reading over your posts I noticed something odd about your language. The government doesn't "prevent" anyone from becoming homeless. Camping is completely legal and the couple of homeless dudes I've known well were living out of their backpacks, just like my hippie cousin does for fun. Except, they didn't have cars or houses and they weren't having a lot of fun, and would get hassled by cops if they stayed in one area too long. Sober-living, fortunately employed, but they didn't have a home base and it meant wasting huge portions of the day to do ordinary things. There's a term called "time poor" and while it's a bother when you have means, it's a ball-and-chain when you're homeless.

It's better to internalize the term for government's help as "protect" in this case, because as it stands, you can always go camping but you can't always come home.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

One hour until we find out whether John Boehner suffers from electile dysfunction and if the Speaker of the NC House will have to go into a runoff with a man who thinks the UN's Agenda 21 is going to take away your God given right to own a nuclear weapon :toot:

Also whether Clay Aiken will come in 2nd place once again tonight or 6 months from now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mooyashi posted:

Official Snack of the White House

Is technically M&Ms.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

I'm pretty sure this entire thread defines conservative positions as "crappy".

Perhaps if right wing positions were less than 'shovel the poor directly into a furnace so that they may be used for heating my summer house in winter when I'm not there."

e: also the idea of local business somehow having the spare money or incentive to educate the homeless is hilariously dumb.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 7, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Private charities already aren't filling in the gap that currently exists. What makes you think they'd magically start?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

sweart gliwere posted:

Amergin, reading over your posts I noticed something odd about your language. The government doesn't "prevent" anyone from becoming homeless. Camping is completely legal and the couple of homeless dudes I've known well were living out of their backpacks, just like my hippie cousin does for fun. Except, they didn't have cars or houses and they weren't having a lot of fun, and would get hassled by cops if they stayed in one area too long. Sober-living, fortunately employed, but they didn't have a home base and it meant wasting huge portions of the day to do ordinary things. There's a term called "time poor" and while it's a bother when you have means, it's a ball-and-chain when you're homeless.

It's better to internalize the term for government's help as "protect" in this case, because as it stands, you can always go camping but you can't always come home.

I'm totally fine with the government enacting programs to protect the homeless because if they don't there is a fair chance that the government will just strait up murder the homeless.

But you know, taxes and all that so gently caress the poor.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kalman posted:

Is technically M&Ms.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Only "service guarantees citizenship" is literally the Dream Act minus the provision that "service or a college degree guarantees citizenship" that Obama has been pushing and the right wing screams about because anything Obama does is the devil.

It doesn't matter what the mechanism for achieving citizen status is, Republicans just don't want any non-whites in the country period, especially if they would probably vote Democrat.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PeterWeller posted:

It depends on whether or not you double dip.
If you double dip, you are no friend of mine. It's a moral and sanitary issue. Dip, take a bite and dip again, leaving all your germs in the dip? Disgusting.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Fried Chicken posted:

We are probably lucky this isn't true. President Cheney and Vice President Rumsfeld... Ick

If you ever wanted to try a bag

The incident is strangely absent from their website, but then it looks as if it may not have been updated since before 2002 when it happened.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

JT Jag posted:

If you double dip, you are no friend of mine. It's a moral and sanitary issue. Dip, take a bite and dip again, leaving all your germs in the dip? Disgusting.

What about the flip and dip?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tatum Girlparts posted:

God this is such a smug, condescending, stance to take.
HE LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU!
Wrap it up, everyone, the thread's over.

Pong Daddy posted:

There was some foodscience show where they studied this and basically all forms of dipping are gross.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mooyashi posted:

If you ever wanted to try a bag

The incident is strangely absent from their website, but then it looks as if it may not have been updated since before 2002 when it happened.

I've had them, SAMs club carries them. They are fantastic

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pong Daddy posted:

Only if you put your hand upon your hip, and then when I dip you dip and we dip.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

nutranurse posted:

lol that post was a super-joke. I think you're ridiculous for thinking I'd actually advocate for what, as you point out, amounts to turning our troops into bounty hunters. That's freep insane, man.

In my defense, we do have a guy in this thread who doesn't think that living on the streets causes emergency health problems and appears to be sincere. And I was mostly talking about the other stuff, not the actual "pay per kill" stuff.

Amergin posted:

Nobody has responded to my comment on the private donors.

It's not like there are private donors and business-owners begging to be allowed to help the poor but getting chased off by the government. And we're struggling to get companies to do job trainings/re-trainings for non-homeless people. Also we have an existing job shortage in the country, so helping a homeless guy beat out someone on UI for a rare open position just swaps which of the two guys winds up homeless. It's a nice idea, but it's pretty darn far-fetched and impractical.

Nessus posted:

If you think private charity would magically fill in the gaps and provide equal or greater levels of service, I think you have a high bar to prove. Now you may well prefer private charity for other reasons, although I think preferring the moral virtue of private charity to "the actual relief of the needy" tends to go against most theories of morality. And there is certainly a role for private charity in these operations.

Bingo - if the solution is private charity, why hasn't the problem been solved? Also charitable donations are pro-cyclical - people donate to charities much more during booms than busts, and it's during the busts that those dollars are most sorely needed.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Also, isn't it the case that the rich are more likely to donate to stuff like operas, which they predominantly use, while the poor give a higher proportion of their income to charity for the poor than do the rich?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Texas compromised on that point. Its official state snack is tortilla chips and salsa.

Minnesota doesn't have a state snack apparently, but our state muffin is blueberry muffins so I'll settle for that. Snackwise you could choose almost anything at the State Fair. Deep fried pickles are goddamn heaven.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Illinois has popcorn as it's state snack. Some elementary kids got it chosen...dumb kids, kettle corn is where it is at.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

On this topic wasn't much of Mitt Romney's charitable donations to his church which used the money to fight against gay marriage in California?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Amergin posted:

Yes, I think the government should prevent children from being homeless. I do not, however, think the government should prevent adults from being homeless.

Just world fallacy. I would give my left foot for a society that never mistook bad fortune for poor life choices, or that punished poor life choices with the false assumption that everyone has good judgment, omniscient information about the world, and perfect mental health.

Amergin posted:

No, I'd rather local governments work with local businesses and shelters/social workers to figure out what training could be provided to the homeless, what skills they currently have, and what roles they could fill in finding jobs to find an apartment themselves.

http://www.cmajopen.ca/content/2/2/E69.full

Not all these people will ever be able to find work that a free market would provide them. They need support, helping people is a stretch for you unless you get to give the money whenever and however you want, but fortunately governments formed to solve the problems of charity not cutting it anymore.

I wish every kid in this country had Rawlsian concepts drilled into their thick heads. We are not cut from the same cloth, struck from the same mold, equal in all things. Many will never be able to aspire to any kind of thing we deem a decent living, but we should be motherfucking magnanimous enough to not see their lives be an endless span of suffering and abuse.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Illinois has popcorn as it's state snack. Some elementary kids got it chosen...dumb kids, kettle corn is where it is at.

Isn't one a flavor of the other?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wrap it up, Gohmertailures! The AP has called the OH-08 Republican primary for John Boehner, defeating the guy who got fired from his job over a raunchy campaign ad and a distant relative of George Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I don't like kettle corn. I can eat it, but it's one of those foods that shouldn't be sweet and still is, alongside bread and butter pickles, and BBQ sauce in large quantities.

Fried Chicken posted:

I've had them, SAMs club carries them. They are fantastic

I don't care how good they are. Their website uses Comic Sans all over the place. :colbert:

• Locked thread