Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I know Obamacare is the worst thing that's happened since the Holocaust (if that even happened :ssh:), but don't worry, I've got a solution.

http://www.healthcarecompact.org

Instead of the Federal government doing it, the states will just join in a compact to manage healthcare, with Congress' permission, of course. Congress will still give us that sweet sweet healthcare money too. Remember, healthcare is simply too large and complex to manage at the federal level, and states have generally shown that they're much better regulators than the federal government.

The Health Care Compact isn't about who or what is covered, just about who makes these decisions.

:realtalk:
A buddy of mine posted this on Facebook. I haven't the heart to give this the mocking that it truly deserves.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Nessus posted:

This is said to have been a pre-Islamic Persian tradition, I believe.

According to Herodotus, at least.

Herodotus: Book 1, Chpt 133 posted:

And of all days their wont is to honour most that on which they were born, each one: on this they think it right to set out a feast more liberal than on other days; and in this feast the wealthier of them set upon the table an ox or a horse or a camel or an rear end, roasted whole in an oven, and the poor among them set out small animals in the same way. They have few solid dishes, but many served up after as dessert, and these not in a single course; and for this reason the Persians say that the Hellenes leave off dinner hungry, because after dinner they have nothing worth mentioning served up as dessert, whereas if any good dessert were served up they would not stop eating so soon. To wine-drinking they are very much given, and it is not permitted for a man to vomit or to make water in presence of another. thus do they provide against these things; and they are wont to deliberate when drinking hard about the most important of their affairs, and whatsoever conclusion has pleased them in their deliberation, this on the next day, when they are sober, the master of the house in which they happen to be when they deliberate lays before them for discussion: and if it pleases them when they are sober also, they adopt it, but if it does not please them, they let it go: and that on which they have had the first deliberation when they are sober, they consider again when they are drinking.

I've used this concept effectively to discuss campus issues at the collegiate level. If only Boehner or Priebus would embrace it.

Tacitus cites the Germanic peoples he encountered doing something similar.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 7, 2014

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

A pint of Guinness a day keeps the doctor away.

• Locked thread