Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

withak posted:

Illinois in ~1995-96 was pretty reasonable. We just got told to make sure that we could answer "abstinence" to the question "What is the only 100% reliable form of birth control?".

I went to a Catholic grade school in Illinois in the 90s and while our teacher talked about all the approved methods (and how abstinence was the only 100% effective method), she also told us about condoms and birth control (did not give it glowing reviews but she at least told us how they worked.)

Public high school blew my mind though with the explanation of anal and oral sex. Those were definitely not mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

greatn posted:

My wife earns more than me and has tenure. It rocks.

In the last two months, my wife got a promotion and is not making more than I do. Would you like to know what changed in our relationship? Nothing.

But now that I think about it. I feel emasculated and cannot go on. I will now have to divorce my wife and force my two daughters to deal with the stress of a divorce....if only their mother cared about them more than herself. :smith:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

By the by, I just saw the video for this. It's interesting to note, but I'd want to make sure mentioning this isn't going to turn into InfoWars-style Pollyanna-ing (especially considering that "recommended videos" include movement of materiel in 2010 and 2011 when no new major actions occurred.)

Could you post a link to the video?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I did not know which thread it would go into so I decided here would work well.

My sister shared this on Facebook.

Dr. Ben Carson for President or Paid Speaker in 2016 posted:

There are recent examples of what happens to nations that continue to accumulate debt without regard to its consequences. Like ancient Rome, modern Greece continued to expand the dole for all citizens while increasing taxes on businesses and doing nothing to foster the economy’s growth. As it became clear to lending nations that this pattern was continuing with no imposition of fiscal responsibility, they became less willing to make additional loans to the Greek government, precipitating a crisis. As the Greek government worked to cut down on spending, Greek citizens rioted in the streets to protest austerity measures that decreased the monies they felt they were entitled to receive from the government.

It is hard to believe that our leaders in both political parties do not understand that they are jeopardizing the financial future of the next generations by allowing continued debt accumulation, even if they are slowing the rise of that debt. The government recently announced it will pay down our debt by $35 billion in the next quarter. This sounds good, but that equals about 0.02 percent of the total amount owed. They will probably pat themselves on the back and proclaim what a great job they are doing while at the same time borrowing even more during the next quarter rather than continuing the downward trend in borrowing.

I want to tell her that I am glad that Dr. Carson is so in favor of raising tax revenues in order to make up for the spending while also making cuts in the bloated military budget...but I have a feeling that that is not what he means.

My question is: Have the contenders for 2016 actually talked about what they would do or is it nothing but empty rhetoric to work as red meat to the base?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Brit Hume's voice sounds uncannily similar to Billy West's Nixon impression.

What happened? I could have sworn that Brit Hume was less partisan hack and more straight journalist. Was I wrong this entire time or did he recently switch to the hack side?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I live in a massive blue state (Illinois) but it is not the best thing in the world. It seems like we are behind even some red states. Simply living in a blue state does not remove the stain of corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Illinois has popcorn as it's state snack. Some elementary kids got it chosen...dumb kids, kettle corn is where it is at.

• Locked thread