Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Xibanya posted:

It's easier to get into Harvard than get a job at MacDonalds at a Micky D's job fair.

Which you know brings us to world-endangering financial bubble 2: tuition boogaloo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Apparently, the US created and implemented a fake twitter-esque service to foment rebellion in Cuba against Castro and they did it under the guise of "humanitarian outreach" via the USAID. In the big scheme of things this isn't surprising in the least, it's hilarious in a really hosed up way. I mean, this is the stuff conspiracy theorists dream of, something out of a Tom Clancy novel.

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/03/the_secret_is_out_u_s_built_cuban_twitter_to_stir_up_political_unrest/
http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/3/5577254/us-created-cuban-twitter-to-fuel-anti-castro-dissidence-ap
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26872866

hooooly poo poo this is incredible. What a ridiculous subversion of the organization's mission.

"Whiteytarian outreach"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fried Chicken posted:

They did the same thing in backing Ukraine opposition, which has now blown up in their face

uh never mind here this might actually be a not-good thing to post

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 3, 2014

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chris Christie posted:

Friendly reminder that those wonderful sweet justices on the left side of the SCOTUS have no problem making GBS threads all over things like property rights or 2nd amendment rights.

The Supreme Court is going to be awful no matter which way the 4-4-1 split eventually breaks.

So do I :black101:.

Sorry!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Joementum posted:

Someone is planning a big Libertarian rally in D.C. on May Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-QvSgyWA18

It'll be interesting to find out which of the hundred or so Koch groups is financing this. :allears:

edit: Ha! It's CEI.

What sort of credulous rube takes these things seriously? This video is unabashed propaganda, like almost self-parody.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Cheekio posted:

Have you talked to a Libertarian in person about the Federal Reserve?

Just let me live in my little fantasy world full of people who think critically :smith:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

radical meme posted:

Whatever the date is, South Carolina is determined to be the first state to give that little guy the right to Stand his Ground.

The logical next step would be to permit someone other than the pregnant mother to use deadly force to defend the zygote, or maybe first move to allow any pregnant woman to defend any unborn child.

My fiancée is currently the only person trying to stop this from making it to law. It's a horrible combination of classic progressive problems:

She's a state level organization so six weeks ago when this bill first became a thing, she reached out to ALL of her national partners for assistance because their specialty is teen pregnancy and they have little grounding in gun rights. Not one of her partners, domestic violence groups, the NAACP, minority outreach no one, got back to her. Because here in gosh darn South Carolina we just don't matter on a national stage.

Now that she's invoked the "Stand Your Ground" verbiage (literally, that's all this is about, the words), every one of these organizations is making GBS threads on her for various reasons. She's been accused of being a white woman co opting the black community's struggle. They started the campaign today and already they're taking flak, but frankly, nobody helped her out a month ago, and she couldn't just not try something, so this is what she came up with. I think it's fine, and she's gotten crazy support from our local advocates and such, so I'm pretty proud of the attention it's gotten (FINALLY).

Been a helluva legislative session here in the second worst state in the union. Thanks Mississippi, you've always got our back.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

how does this do anything other than prove his point?

So to follow up on my fiancee's efforts to stop the personhood-masked-in-Stand-Your-Ground-rhetoric bill here in South Carolina's legislature:

Basically her press releases last Friday got HuffPo, ThinkProgress, Jezebel, RawStory and any number of local news outlets from as far away as Tulsa turned on to the story. There's no way this bill passes now, although a local partner apparently said that if there's anything they'd prefer to trade to Senator Lee "Too Stupid To Breathe" Bright for a compromise on other womens' rights bills, it's this one.

The national partner who had called that evening to bitch her out for race-baiting and co-opting "the language of an African-American issue" never called back and simply posted "Congratulations" on her Facebook page this morning.

Now if only we were making progress instead of just stopping regress in this state :smith:

Also the sponsor/"author" of the bill (Americans United for Life wrote it and gave it to her) is local idiot Katrina Shealy who, via her social media outlets and response to the outrage, has basically been on her back foot this week because it's clear she simply DOES NOT UNDERSTAND the broad implications of legislation she supports.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Install Windows posted:

Really weird that the article is quoting the increase as from 6.15, when the federal minimum has been 7.25 for years. And there's essentially no people who would be eligible for state minimum who aren't already eligible for federal minimum

I wouldn't say it's "weird" so much as "positive spin" :( because the rest of the article is full of wonderful uplifting statistics like

The Star Tribune posted:

A Minnesotan who earns $6.15 per hour working full time earns an annual salary of $12,792 — about $7,000 below the poverty line. Raising the minimum wage to $9.50 per hour brings that same worker’s salary within $30 of closing that gap.

god drat.

edit holy poo poo also

The Star Tribune posted:

To help small businesses, the new law establishes lower minimum wage requirements for small employers and young workers. The minimum hourly wage for smaller employers in the state will top out at $7.75 in 2016.

I wonder what the regulations defining "small employers" say. Wowee, a $7.75 minimum wage in 2016 how progressive!

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 19, 2014

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Install Windows posted:

You can't gentrify an area that wasn't already a run down and past its prime area.

I lived at akard and the dart line for two years, "run down and past it's prime" describes downtown Dallas perfectly.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Install Windows posted:

You can't be past your prime when your prime never happened.

Bb b b but Neiman's! (Dallas is a shithole nobody should ever go there regardless of how much you are paid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
donald sterling's ancestors settled the staples center b4 the NBA even existed and have birthright claim to the team #standwithcliven #bundy4ever

• Locked thread