Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Can we at least note that it looks strongly that even in North Carolina, there are kids who understand that the "tradition marriage" argument and the "Gay marriage leads to Bestiality" slippery slope argument is all bullshit? the fact that these candidates were drilled on these alone is a bit promising to me.

EDIT: Oh crap, they really said that we shouldn't punish businesses for loving things up (In response to Duke Energy dumping that toxic ash in the river systems) :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

comes along bort posted:

Coastal NC real estate protip: invest in soundside property. In 30 years it'll be oceanfront! Though in 50 years you'll have a houseboat.

Wow Houseboats! If you don't like your neighbors, you can pull up the anchor and sail some place else!

...Oh wait wrong thread. :doh:

How strong is the Tea Party in North Carolina? Is there any chance of them shifting the politics so far to the right that independents start shifting Democrat?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

greatn posted:

Apparently they are just opposed to IUD's and morning-after pills though because they never took a biology class. The guys at supreme court are OK with normal pills and condoms. Which is not to say there aren't plenty against those too.

Their belief in IUD's and Plan B is that "If you prevent a fertilized egg from implanting, it's baby murder" Yet many times when an egg is fertilized it fails for one reason or another to implant on the uterine wall to begin with. The stars and planets maybe didn't align or some poo poo. As George Carlin said Almost two decades ago "Basically, what these anti-abortion people are telling us is that any woman who’s had more than more than one period is a serial killer!"

Their other argument is the same line, just replace baby murder with "Playing God". Guess we don't need antibiotics, surgery, or anything life saving because we are obviously playing against Gods will! :bang:

And if you ever went to a midwest or southern Sex ed class in 8th grade, It is full of scare tactics (Photos and freak-worst case scenario stories), Religious propaganda, and sometimes outright lies. Of course people are confused about how things work or in a round about way of thinking that no birth control is better than having it, I have no idea how the coasts deal with it but it probably isn't much better

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 14, 2014

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If it gives context 2000 or 2001 was when Our class had our week of brainwashing Abstinence only education. I swear they didn't really even cover anything important in that class, just all the negative consequences. At least one of my best memories in that class was a good size of them calling the guest teacher out on her bull after a really stupid story about how putting all your love (in this case water) in one cup before marriage will leave you empty on the inside. (The cup was lined with something that either evaporated or absorbed all the water)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

I've always found Alan Watts' explanation for western Christianity's revisionism pretty on-the-mark. They turned the religion of Jesus into a religion about Jesus by pedestalizing him, and in doing so, they have a reason to ignore any parts they don't like because "He was the divine son of God and couldn't possibly be speaking of the practicalities of life". All that "Have I not told you that you are all sons of God" (82nd Psalm, I believe) is quietly swept under the rug.

Prosperity Theology mixed with gently caress you Got Mine republican standpoints leads to really lovely Christians. It's really that simple

withak posted:

Illinois in ~1995-96 was pretty reasonable. We just got told to make sure that we could answer "abstinence" to the question "What is the only 100% reliable form of birth control?".

Oh it is, But like with all birth control success is extremely linked to how well you adhere to it, and in case one fails you need to have knowledge on other ways to protect yourself and how to use them properly. the second you don't abstain and you have no knowledge about other methods... welp :shrug:

greatn posted:

Should have answered "Gay or lesbian sex"

Ok I chuckled. Sorry When I go on birth control politics and talks I usually think about Hetro due to... well Birth control parts. It's also important to cover those bases as well because everyone needs to be safe.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 14, 2014

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Paper With Lines posted:

Was reading this buzzfeed article about the guy who shot up the Jewish community centers in Missouri.The article links to this post describing his interaction with the students. Awful awful post. Here is the thread where his forum mates realize that he is the one who killed those people. Disgusting.

Shouldn't have clicked that. Put some NWS tags on that if you'd please. :gonk:

Edit: Thanks for that.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I really lost it with the first post outside of the videos. Going on and on about how awesome it is that people are rising up against Jews and killing them is disgusting. :barf:

• Locked thread