Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Hey, named the thread! That's kinda cool.

So, what's the good news? I figure we might as well start off a new month with some good news first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any chance I can have more detail on this? How does that work, give less oil they become more officially poor to qualify for programs or what? Or is it more oil?

The food stamp cuts did so by raising the level of heating assistance you had to be receiving in order to be eligible for stamps from $1 a month to $20. The idea being that if you're only receiving $1 of heating assistance you're obviously wealthy enough not to need food stamps, you scrounger.

What the GOP was not expecting was that (currently) seven states would decide to just raise the minimum level of heating assistance money handed out to $20 across the board, thereby completely negating the new cuts and reinstating the full level of aid. Boehner has described this as "cheating", which has really not looked good for him in the press.

I should note that several thoroughly Republican governors were in on this "cheating", including Pennsylvania. I don't remember which ones specifically though.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

So in good news it looks like in MN we're going to raise our minimum wage (though only to $9.50) and tie it to inflation! Been working on this project a few months and we'd been getting pushback from some of the centrist DFLers on tying it to inflation, good to see it happen finally.

Yeah, I've been getting and sending e-mail correspondence on this for quite a while. $9.50 isn't an out-of-poverty wage, of course, but it's a considerable increase from the prior state minimum wage, which was actually below the national level ($6.15, which is a joke, and one of the things that made me disappointed in my state). If the national wage goes up, of course, that'll have to be changed again, but indexing the minimum wage to inflation is a big win.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Joementum posted:

Not just the Australians, Minnesotans too.

He's running for Congress in Minnesota's 1st CD, which is R+1, but held by Tim Walz (D) who won in 2012 with 58% of the vote.

I swear to God, Michelle Bachmann aside we're not all crazy up here. We're also probably not going to go Republican again soon--I wouldn't put it out of possibility, since this is a very rural state for the most part, and there is still some legitimate madness stewing in Anoka. But we've had full Democrats in power for a couple years, and the economy's been going whizzo, especially when you compare it to Wisconsin next door who have gone in completely the opposite direction. The state was in a massive, several billion dollar hole a few years ago, and now FY2014-2015 is predicted to run a 48 million dollar surplus (provided I've read the chart correctly).

http://www.mmb.state.mn.us/forecast-documents-feb-14

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

mdemone posted:

Castro, damnit. I'm gonna beat the drum until it starts gaining enough steam to be bandied about by pundits. They may not win Texas, but the frothing GOP response to a woman/Latino ticket would be a very special entertainment.

I don't know too much about Texas politics--are you referring to Mayor Castro or his brother Representative Castro?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

zoux posted:

You know, I think at this point I'm over democracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0-KN5Ijkk

What I see as the good news here is that the Youtube comments section, which is usually a horrifying cesspit, is with a single exception universally disgusted by this thing. Since it was put up by the Republican Governors' Association I'm guessing that was not the intended reception.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

SedanChair posted:

You seem to be accusing Barack Obama of having feelings other than ambition. That's bold, but OK. I'd say Michelle was exactly the wife he was looking for, and he would certainly define that to himself as love.

I'm legitimately a little unnerved by this line of reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

loving good. And it looks like Minnesota has a judicially imposed duty to retreat in some home invasion cases even though it has the castle doctrine in statute. So it's different than Florida's lovely loving law.

Why am I not surprised.

Thank Christ. This whole thing was an amazing horror show. Now that man is somewhere he can't hurt anyone anymore.

• Locked thread