Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Phone posted:

AFAIK VW is going to keep the plant in Chattanooga, but stop investing in it actively. I wouldn't be surprised if they're currently shopping around for a place to drop a new plant in hopes that they could get an organized labor presence so that negotiations aren't a pain in the rear end. I think that SC might be on their radar since BMW and Hyundai already have manufacturing stood up there, but the entire southeast region is completely controlled by GOP Uberalles so who knows.

I'd be tickled if they wound up going to Detroit and wind up revitalizing the area.

This is all goddamn hilarious and infuriating because it's exactly what the shitheels said was going to happen if they voted in favor of the union. If VW looks elsewhere, I hope that the two leading the charge against unionization are made to eat their words but I know, sadly, that it won't happen. All I can want now is for VW to expressly point to the anti-union tactics as to why they're only keeping status quo instead of expanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That's...quite something right there. :stare:

Presuming the police accounts are at all accurate, it sounds like there was a substantial number of the militia who genuinely were looking to kill some feds or whatever, and did all they could to provoke the cops in hopes of having an excuse to throw down and start shooting. This line, in particular:

I find particularly disturbing, given that it's very much in the context of violent confrontation.

And yet it's the young people and minorities who are gonna actually destroy this country... :jerkbag:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Dapper Dan posted:

So what's the GOP up to today? Tackling the massive amount of inequality? Our crumbling infrastructure? The massive imbalance in taxation between the very rich and the very poor? Of course, it's none of the above. It's...Benghazi! Benghazi? Benghazi.

Darrell Issa Subpoenas John Kerry To Testify On Benghazi

I have no idea what the hell they think they are accomplishing by harping on this poo poo. Besides blatantly pandering to their base of course. The majority of Americans could give a poo poo. I'm not saying it wasn't a tragedy, but the bullshit 'conspiracy' part of it. They're more concerned with rising food prices, declining wages and keeping their houses. Harping on something like this does no good and just makes people exhausted from hearing about it. And they're not going to impeach anyone or get anyone to resign over it. The whole thing is getting to be a running joke.

So what happens when Issa shuts off Kerry's mic when he punks Issa's panel? I wanna watch this as if I was watching the Super Bowl. :allears:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

To goatse Daryl Issa irl.....:allears:

"We know how deep this hole goes, Mr. Issa, and you can be sure we won't rest until America has seen what lies inside."

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

SedanChair posted:

The magna-trigger solved this problem years ago, nobody wanted them or cared. This is purely an attempt to make the technology available as a stalking horse for requiring it.

Yeah, ignoring the fact that it was specifically made for law enforcement and even then for two specific gun frames, the fact that they weren't wanted then means that any type of smart-gun tech, or any other type of gun safety measure, is worthless.

I know it's been asked a million loving times but why do "responsible" gun owners fight so heavily against poo poo that requires them to be responsible. Oh, right. They don't want to loving be responsible. Look at how long it took for some loving wacko to start waving his gun around in Georgia.

The government isn't coming to take my or your guns. There's no loving reason guns can't be registered or personalized. If you lose your credit card, you report it stolen. If you're responsible, you shouldn't give a poo poo if you can be tracked back to the gun because if someone takes it, you'll be involved enough to loving call law enforcement like you loving should regardless of whether it's the law or not.

It's called responsibility and any loving time some 2A dipshit decides to rail against registries and smart-guns or any sort of mandatory reporting laws, the true colors of the "my 'freedom' over the safety of the society" flag flies high and should be an immediate loving reason to take your goddamn guns away.

If my neighbor has a gun stolen, I sure as poo poo want them to report it missing. I'm glad I live in a mandatory reporting state. I don't loving understand why something like that is so loving controversial. gently caress.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

SedanChair posted:

You can't, though. So figure out something else to do.

Yep! We can't. So stop cock-blocking reasonable laws.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Because no matter what some people might want to think, we don't loving live in Thunderdome?

Fried Chicken posted:

You are threatening to murder people because they are selling a brand you don't like. How on earth do you think you sound like a reasonable person here? Do you threaten to kill Apple users because you like Android? Unlike your paranoid delusions Apple actively cooperates with the government to suppress your rights.

Pretty much this. When your movement is making soccer hooligans look rational, maybe it's time to take a moment to reflect.

Edit:

Fried Chicken posted:

Are death threats a felony or misdemeanor? Because if it is the former, felons don't get guns

Class 1 Misdemeanor, iirc.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Pong Daddy posted:

Again, tell me why a home invader should be able to use my gun.

You're probably just making up that the invader has your gun to gain sympathy from liberals. :jerkbag:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Yeah that's what safes are for. I suppose there are violent master safecracker thugs who carefully open your safe, then lie in wait for you with your own guns instead of taking and selling them. Wait, that's stupid.

Yeah, if only it was illegal to not store your gun in a safe... Oh wait, of course it's not.

Oh, and just forget about actually having standards for locking devices. We can't have the government meddling in that either.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Hey you can sell them, just don't expect me to like it. Allegations of death threats from random yokels remain unproven.

Oh gently caress off..

Read the loving article, watch the loving video. This dude is about as pro-2A as you can get, don't pull the kind of poo poo that you claim anti-gun people loving do and say that it didn't loving happen. No one should be threatened with physical harm to themselves, their business, or their loving dog, because someone doesn't agree with a business decision.

gently caress it then, allegations that the government is gonna take your guns remain unproven. You don't have to like that people are alleging this but you can let people who actually want to use guns responsibly put laws in place to keep themselves from looking like the, in your words, yokels that threatened a man's dog because he wanted to sell a gun in his store.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm still not sold on the technology, particularly in its ability to stand up to the long-term stress in handguns where there's less mass to mitigate recoil.

If it's RFID, I know that there's been testing done with RFID chips on M1 Abrams tanks to monitor cannon end-of-life maintenance. I wouldn't be too worried about the recoil of a handgun like the Armrtrix.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

SedanChair posted:

The evidence is that police have requested the technology, and police organizations work hand in hand with Bloomberg and others. It's not conclusive evidence and it doesn't need to be. It's good enough evidence to fight it tooth and nail.

Cool, so you're saying the Police are the bad guys here. Good to know.

SedanChair posted:

Is the cannon disabled if the RFID reader stops working?

Nope but that's not what the conversation was about. Try again.

hobbesmaster posted:

Because military and consumer grade equipment is always the same.

No, it's not, but RFID tags are used in high pressure situations such as deep-sea rigs, etc. I'm willing to concede to you for now, though, as I can't find concrete evidence of what RFID tags are actually being used in the Armatrix setup. Making sure that any tech works when needed is something that really should be stressed and I know that RFID chips work in harsher situations than handgun recoil but until I can back myself up in this case, it's a fair point.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread. I can't hit that 100% shitposting mark and that's just unacceptable.

Edit: I can, however, hit the 99% shitposting mark that medical devices have so you know, glad to know that guns need to be held to a higher level than poo poo that actually keeps people alive.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

comes along bort posted:

In which Jane Harman greatly upsets Brit Hume by accurately placing #BENGHAZI on the right wing conspiracy continuum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymb61kORfk

She could have very easily just shot back with "Colin Powell's info and talking points to the UN Security Council about Iraq turned out to be false as well, do you think there was a conspiracy to invade?"

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Amergin posted:

I think conservatives are hammering Benghazi because it's one of the few foreign relations failures that they believe Obama/the dems had options in.

They can hammer Obama on Syria and the red line but they know Americans still have war fatigue so dems would just respond with "Well what did you want us to do? Put boots on the ground?" And that basically ends that conversation, even though it legitimately shouldn't especially given the context of the Russia/Ukraine dance.

In Benghazi, American lives were lost essentially due to gov't incompetence coupled with CIA dealings we didn't want disclosed (this is my brief understanding of the issue). It, like the 2008 financial crisis, is both no one's fault and everyone's fault. The ensuing "cover-up"/fishing for explanations, in the context of the IRS scandal, seems to start putting dots out there conveniently aligned for government shadow doings.

The problem is that the GOP seems to be getting some response and therefore is beating a dead horse until their base gets tired of it, but there are many other decent criticisms of Obama's foreign policy... Namely Russia/Europe and his pivot to Asia which boils down to "hey man mind if we build a base here? Cool thx". Obama has also been strangely silent/reluctant to mention what's going on in Africa, specifically Nigeria and the CAR. This administration has focused on diplomacy which is all well and good until half of your allies realize you're spying on them and your neutral/enemy states realize you won't actually do anything to stop their disputes/landgrabs with neighbors. The Economist had a decent article on the decline of America's projected hard power in the world related to these issues.

I'm new to the thread so I apologize if I'm just repeating dribble but thought I might pitch my $0.02. I think Benghazi is a legitimate talking point if you include context and foreign events that have happened since.

You can't say that including context makes it a talking point when you ignore the context of what's happened since. There has been investigation after investigation that has basically said that, at most, the buck stops at the State Department and not Obama's administration.

Committee after committee has come back with nothing that Obama could have done differently and that's pissing off Republicans. As I understand it, the only reason that this new email is even a thing is that Republicans didn't request this particular dude's emails, the administration didn't release it, it got out, and Issa and crew are now screaming cover-up because Obama's been slow-playing their three ring circus.

Live were lost, and it's tragic, but aside from some questionable actions at the State Department when an attack wasn't expected, there's nothing to see.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

So I can become the principal of a public elementary school and then make it a Satanist elementary school? Cool!

Not at all a constitution scholar so take this with a grain of salt but I think part of the ruling hinges that when complaints were lodged, the council got non-christian types to lead said opening ceremony. The idea is that since they were willing to have other denominations, they're not endorsing one specific religion so it's okay.

Turning a public school Satanist, however, would be a direct endorsement of faith, so that's a no go. I'm personally of the mind that prayer has nothing to do at civic events but constitutional law disagrees as far as I know.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Amergin posted:

I guess I should have clarified a bit: you're right in that there's nothing linking to the Obama administration, but that's not who the GOP is targeting now. Obviously this whole thing is a political move against Hilary in preparation for 2016.

There are two separate issues at hand with Benghazi. You seem to be arguing against the first: who was "responsible" for the tragedy, who could have done something, and why did it happen the way it happened? As you said, what we've learned is essentially it was a clusterfuck and nobody could have stopped it, or at best we might have been able to throw a few CIA personnel in and gotten more people killed. The GOP is still grumbling about the government resources out there and the communication being such a hot mess, which is a decent criticism of much of our current government: bureaucratic red tape, lack of communication/coordination, hot mess.

The second issue is about the explanation after the fact, and this is where the email comes in. Why couldn't the State Dept. just admit that the attack was more coordinated and more "terrorist-y" than just a mob riled up by a movie? Was that the catalyst? Was the movie involved at all? The State Dept. decided to go the safer route and blame the movie, and the timing of all this with the elections just seems fishy (to those who want fishiness - to me it sounds like a PR attempt that failed).

Remember this is coming from a president who originally promised his tenure would be one of the most transparent. I for one would have preferred the State Dept. being straight with the American public. I fall somewhere between "There's nothing to see here" and "Benghazigate: The Dems killed Americans!!!!"

So, remember when Mitt Romney said that the embassy was "apologizing for American principles" before the attack took place and "It's disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks."

It's all stuff he said before he knew all of the facts. And yeah, it'd be great if the State Dept. was more transparent but at this point the Republicans aren't talking about the State Department. They're clearly trying to say that Obama and Clinton are covering up details of what happened. Their current "smoking gun" is an email talking about what should be talked about and not what actually happened.

Yes, the administration spun the story. Just like every administration does. To continue to push it further to there being active involvement in covering up some dubious act at any level higher than State shows a conspiratorial mindset that won't ever stop. Remember that the whole reason that the Republicans are pushing a cover up angle is that the information changed and the administration changed their story accordingly. Remember that the CIA was who gave most of the day 1 info about the attacks. They got the info wrong, Obama didn't tell them to change it. Hell, Obama even released the original CIA talking points.

Benghazi is, at this point, simply red meat. Like I said, investigations have occurred that found problems. The right keeps pushing it because the problems stop before Obama has anything to do with it.

Edit: Misread who you thought this was actually about. Spot on that it's about Clinton but they still won't stop because she's not going anywhere and has just as little to do with it.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 5, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Sword of Chomsky posted:

You're right. You need help from an imaginary sky god for wanting something that you don't understand the consequences of.

This is why we need to put up that border fence, otherwise Quetzecoatl will sneak all of his god friends in and I don't think we're ready for Centon Totochtin's shenanigans. I certainly am not gonna clean up after 400 drunken rabbits.:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

EDIT: anyone have some good rum suggestions?

Ron Zacapa XO is great for sipping post pool parties. Otherwise I go with Sailor Jerry's to get spiced up on the fairly cheap.

Edit: Alright booze snipe it is.

• Locked thread