Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Tons of animals are eaten without being tortured, cockfighting is torture. QED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shbobdb posted:

If by "tons" you mean "such a small percentage that it effectively rounds down to zero" then yes, you are right.

Congrats on being wrong I guess.

zoux posted:

Little context here, the Travis Co DA is responsible for prosecuting any ethics complaints against state lawmakers. The last guy to hold the office, Ronnie Earle, went after the GOP establishment in the statehouse with religious fanaticism, so there is a lot of bad blood between the Governor's office and the DA. The funding he is withholding (to greatly simplify it) pays for the Public Integrity Unit, which is the mechanism by which the DA investigates complaints against state legislatures.

Is that really true? Has it always been that way? It seems really weird to assign the responsibility to the county DA for where the capital happens to be located.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

I have no idea how it works in other states, but it makes sense from the standpoint that any state commission to investigate official wrong doing would be appointed by the Governor or some state body that was appointed by the governor.

Yeah but you should also be able to have DAs from other counties participate, especially in a state like Texas where cities are already free to sprawl across multiple counties without having area annexed to the original county.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shbobdb posted:

Yes, I am wrong:

When you take into account the fact that factory farms raise 99.9 percent of chickens for meat, 97 percent of laying hens, 99 percent of turkeys, 95 percent of pigs, and 78 percent of cattle currently sold in the United States, it's shocking how much time we waste debating each other, rather than trying to actually change the system.

source

Factory farms do not equal torture, check and mate.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

zoux posted:

Well that would require them admitting they executed an innocent man, so it's not terribly surprising. That,s the same board Perry dissolved and reformed after it looked like the members were prepared to exonerate or at least commute Willingham's sentence.

I have no idea when that law went on the books, but if it was any time before the last fifty years it means that the sheer size of the state would hamper investigations conducted from hundreds of miles away.

Yeah but consequently, a lot of official legislator misconduct would also happen in and around their home districts, so it'd be hard for the Travis County DA to effectively investigate given the distance.

That some do it does not mean all do it. His stupid argument relies on all of them always doing it (not to mention that factory farm is a vaguely defined slur term at best).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shbobdb posted:

*citation needed*

You're the one who needs to provide citations buddy!

zoux posted:

I believe that those incidents would still be prosecuted where they took place. It's only when acting in Austin, again I believe, when Travis Co has jurisdiction. So it's mostly executive branch and executive appointed officials that Ronnie Earle went after while he was DA. Lehmann hasn't been beating the war drums nearly as bad as Earle, this is mostly Perry's grudge against the office and the last real bastion of Democratic power in the state.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. I thought you were saying that all state legislative misconduct has to be investigated by Travis County.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shbobdb posted:

The "naw-ah!" defense is not recognized in most countries.

I cited a HuffPo article and then Ginsburg cited Rolling Stone. Both pop sources, I'll admit. But that is more than your "nothing aside from bold assertion".

Neither of you provided any evidence that all factory farms always torture animals. There's also no actual hard-and-fast definition of a factory farm other than as a scare term akin to "anti-life" and "anti-family". It'd be really simple to do this if it was true.

zoux posted:

I looked it up, their charter (1982) gives them purview over cases that "must be investigated in Travis County" so there's probably a list of statutes that set those criteria, and I have no idea what it is. I do know that due to the cut in state funding, they are currently only investigating poo poo locally. I remember that either the county or the city was going to give them as much funding as they could come up with, but I cant remember which entity it came down to in the end.

Ok yeah, that makes it a lot more sensible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
His speech was also, reportedly, really lovely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Cockfighting also used to have the reputation of being engaged in by Italian immigrants back in the day, so I think it's just one of those assocaitions whose core is "those dang immigrants" and whose ethnicity changes to suit whoever is "those dang immigrants" at a given time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Immediately shrieking about your gun rights right after a shooting should be a legal symptom of being mentally unfit to carry guns.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That's a fair way to break it down, although (as many others have pointed out) there's something to be said for acknowledging cost-of-living as well (maybe by breaking down those quintiles by metro-area/state rather than nationwide), since class is usually associated with a lifestyle, which may cost more or less depending on the location.

Cost of living that would severely change the ranking is localized in highly trendy areas within those places. And if you're only middle income within the hyper-rich enclave you're in, that still means you're wealthy, your neighbors are just wealthier.

There's a census tract next to Central Park in Manhattan where the median household income is $228,750. The census tract just uptown of it is $98,669. The tract just uptown of that is $24,286 and the one uptown of that is $31,466. So within a 21 street block by 2 avenue block patch of Manhattan, making $100,000 can make you under half of median, a bit over median, or 3-4x median - would you really argue that your middle class/upper class status changes with that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kalman posted:

Boston's cost of living is about 60% higher than Nashville's and employers pay about 15% more for equivalent jobs.

So your 50k Nashville family could expect to make 57.5k if they moved to Boston! Hurray! Too bad they'd need to make 80k to maintain an equivalent lifestyle.

Yeah but you don't need to live in Boston to work in Boston. It's not really a mystery that suburbs exist.

Not to mention that Boston is one of those cases where the actual city is really quite a small, and there's a major disproportion between housing available and employees who show up on a weekday.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

loquacius posted:

-- a person who does not know how expensive the Boston suburbs are

You don't have to live in the most expensive ones either, bub. You're doing that thing people do with NYC, where they act as if uber trendy Manhattan neighborhoods and the Towns are the only viable places for a job in Manhattan, eliding the tons of much cheaper places in and outside the city.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kalman posted:

So how much cheaper would it be for someone in Nashville to live forty five minutes outside of the city and commute to work instead of living in the trendy neighborhoods in the city near their job?

Apples to apples only works as a criticism if you actually compare apples to apples.

Nashville itself has heavily annexed what were formerly separate suburban areas. It's a lot harder to be 45 minutes outside of Nashville than it is to be 45 minutes outside of Boston.

Plus much more "Boston" employment is solidly outside Boston than "Nashville" employment is outside Nashville. Someone actually transferring from Nashville to "Boston" could be in any of a number of suburbs, edge cities, and satellite cities.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

I think it's fair to say that living in a middle class lifestyle in NYC is pretty obscene, but being poor and in the bronx/a project with four other people where you uncomfortably split two rooms is generally how it's done.

There's no cost of a car if you live in NYC, which subtracts a lot of money from your monthly budget.

Or you know the literal millions of middle class people living all over NYC, who do not make substantially more than the national median.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

One bedrooms are $1300 a month 10 miles out from the city.

Which would be well within Boston's borders if it had expanded by annexation the way places like Philadelphia and NYC did .

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I mistook my distances, I'm 20 miles away from Boston proper and it's $1300 month for apartments around here

And what particular suburb are you in? I mean I know someone in Melrose who pays $550 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's probably a room or an attachment to a house, and not an apartment proper. Lowest Melrose 1 BR on Craigslist is $950 and the rest are much higher. Everything around here is super expensive. Philadelphia's much more affordable.

It's a purpose-built apartment house from the late 80s. The stuff that's currently up on Craigslist isn't a reliable indicator of what people actually pay.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Creationism is on the rise because of the loving Australians.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

It takes a huge amount of rural area to gerrymander out the Democratic votes in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas is trending that way too.

Uh, no, it takes a few hundred square miles of the lovely suburbs that constitute the lion's share of every Texas "city" plus a few hundred more square miles on the rim of the "city" to gerrymander. The rural areas simply get tacked on because you have to put them somewhere, all 20000 square miles and 20000 people of them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Texas isn't a functioning state to begin with so why does it matter if the Texaspawns wouldn't be functioning states either. :smugdog:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Reasons why Florida is Florida:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SumYungGui posted:

It's unfortunately easy to understand how money has turned elections into an Oligarchy free-for-all, with politicians and their election campaigns being regarded as a line-item investments for international mega-corporations. How does that happen for the Supreme Court though? They're not elected and they're in for life, yet every few months we get another 'Gee aren't mega-corporations swell guys? We should give them THIS legal protection' ruling.

Money hasn't "turned" elections into that, that's how elections have always been in the US. Some people might feel that the old days of "you have to have money to even vote" was more honest, of course.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cool Bear posted:

I wish I knew stories of when money failed, and the will of the people won

edit: *at the same time *and the people weren't bad and ruined it *and it was democratic *ghost che guevara save us

It's interesting that you make the assumption that will of the people and the preferences of the moneyed classes never coincide.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cool Bear posted:

I define "will" as what they actually want, and you define it as what they stupidly idiotly vote for

The California Proposition system is an excellent example of the true will of the people also being stupid and great for the moneyed interests. :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cool Bear posted:

If someone with a bunch of money didn't lie to them every single time, then the props would be a perfect democracy

This is basically religous thinking.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Good Citizen posted:

California splitting into multiple states would be a disaster. Research the water situation in California if you want to know why.

Why I'd say California already has tons of experience getting water by signing treaties with states several states away!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

I'm kind of skeptical about the idea that a bureaucratic state is some kind of distinctive disease or original sin of industrial capitalism, because of the historical existence of imperial China.

Also the Romans.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Really weird that the article is quoting the increase as from 6.15, when the federal minimum has been 7.25 for years. And there's essentially no people who would be eligible for state minimum who aren't already eligible for federal minimum

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Is that the state poverty line? Because that's certainly much less than the national poverty line for a family.

Working for the old state minimum was literally illegal, so yeah, it was under the poverty line for sure.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

more friedman units posted:

Business and political elites are asking, particularly because there's less and less distinction between the three groups.

This is an interesting thing to say, considering that people like literal Rockefellers have been in cabinet positions dating back a century, and there's basically never been a time in the US' history that the Congress was not majority business elites.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It should literally be Biden. Biden for eternal vice-president.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ron Jeremy posted:

Given the prewar stalemate, I don't get why the north didn't combine a few of the states together as a condition of readmission to neuter the south in the senate.

It would have been impractical to combine just about any set of them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well the whole point of HFT is to attempt to gain any advantage you can, rather than any sort of long term strategy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Harik posted:

Traders are mostly in NY, but for whatever reason exchanges are located in NJ.=

9/11 dude, that simple.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Job Truniht posted:

It's hard to say anything about this since it was before my time, but I will ask: Did Nixon set the precedent to where Americans became increasingly tolerant towards corruption in Washington for an entire generation? Nobody here can sincerely argue about the surprising amount of sociopaths in Washington when it has been that way for 30 years.

Please describe why you think there was less corruption in the past, and more now?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait they let you carry guns on Amtrak now don't they? gently caress. :negative:

What?

quote:

Effective December 15, 2010, Amtrak will accept reservations of firearms and ammunition for carriage between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains within the United States that offer checked baggage service. Thruway Bus Services will not be included in this service change. The following policies are in effect:

Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted.
The passengers must travel on the same train that is transporting the checked firearms and/or ammunition.
All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier. Please contact your departure station for more details.
All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lb/23 kg.
Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared.
All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lb/5 kg.
The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling.
All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lb/23 kg).
Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary.
At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form.
BB guns and Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers), are to be treated as firearms and must comply with the above firearms policy. Canisters, tanks, or other devices containing propellants must be emptied prior to checking and securely packaged within the contents of the passenger's luggage.

Unloaded guns in checked baggage with forms to fill out at the station doesn't sound like carrying guns to me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

I wish there was some form of national legislation to mitigate this race to the bottom bullshit,

It's called federal law, it sets the bottom.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jagchosis posted:

No poo poo, but federal law doesn't really impact a state's ability to provide idiotic tax breaks to corporations as a carrot to get them to move states. The federal government could just raise taxes nationally, eliminate state taxes and allocate taxes to the states, but that would be unconstitutional. I also think that a federal ban on Right-to-work laws would be held unconstitutional by the current court. And state/local tax breaks and anti-union poo poo are the biggest incentives states have in their arsenal.

It would not be unconstitutional to raise taxes nationally and eliminate state taxes, where did you get that idea? It would simply be extraordinarily unpopular and in about noone's political interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

I'm sure the Roberts court could find a reason, especially if they could somehow ban the income tax in the process. Yes, I know there's a constitutional amendment permitting one; I feel confident they would find a way.

Well the thing is the only way it would ever happen is massive public and elected support for the proposal, possibly near-unaminous. You wouldn't have much in the way of aggrieved parties with standing to get a supreme court ruling at that point.

• Locked thread