Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I think the only reason militias appeared to die down was because GWB was elected as their lord and savior. They never really really disappeared, they just cloaked thenselves in legitimacy or became border minute men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

thefncrow posted:

You could completely ignore Occupy and you still have a level of police violence toward left-wing protests, ones that do not last for much longer than the right-wing protests I'm using as comparisons.

What happened to Occupy is not a deviation from the norm, it is the norm.

Occupy was a deviation from the norm itself though.

edit: ^^^^^^ we can make third parties happen with the power of believing!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

American government as a whole (Federal down to municipal level) is the smallest its been in forever and the only result is services suffer, not be more efficient.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

420DD Butts posted:

If we just cut more programs we'll reach the singularity where government starts working at 1000% efficiency.

Though I do wonder why he wants a Republican to win if his goal is small government, since I'm pretty sure # of federal employees was higher during the Bush years than currently.

I think the number is actually largely flat between Bush and Obama for federal employment, but cities and states have cut back a lot.

edit: also in my experience in public service the ones who wring their hands over cutting employment and hiring freezes and slashing pensions and how we must do these things to be serious sober adults are usually the highest paid public servants and/or got their six figure + severance package lined up to go double dip by being rehired as a consultant

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 6, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Libertarians are the crush poors, kill labor, strangle services party so I dont see why thatd be preferable at all to any option.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Greens make for pretty great sham fake spoiler candidates, that's something at least.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Anti-nukeism is almost kind of understandable as nuclear anything elicits terrifying imagery but seriously, by not pursuing nuclear power more we've been reduced to "clean coal" and fracking so the fruits of thy labor of the anti-nuclear power movement aren't inspiring.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

nutranurse posted:

I dunno how someone who thinks nuclear power is dangerous could turn around and support fracking. Probably they don't know what fracking is or have a poor grasp of it or are in the fracking industry. :shrug:

I don't think there's a direct connection in support. In the mindset of the anti-nuclear activist fracking is another troubling facet of energy generation. But its like "oh god, now we're FRACKING for our energy, why can't we just power everything on solar"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Municipal/county/state elections never matter, only our effort to elect a benevolent federal nation wide savior prince is important.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Itll be worth it once we displace Putin providing gas to Europe :smug:

or the midwest splits down the middle

oooppps

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

"A school failing" is not really a (routine) timely thing, it doesn't occur after a lousy semester.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Amergin posted:

1) Create a mandatory personal finance curriculum spanning grades 9-11/12 (which I admit would be difficult to fit in with all the :siren: STEM :siren: focus these days).
2) Focus on 401ks.
3) ???
4) PROFIT!

But honestly I don't think it's the government's role to "protect you from homelessness." At the very least I would raise the retirement age and attempt at making the disability benefits more strict. But I don't think the government should be in the business of helping people save money, rather it should focus more on educating folks on how to save money and let them have at it.

Great! So if it's a "proven fact" that, taking communication and logistics into account, the more people you have in a government agency the more efficient it is, can I see some stats to back that up?

So here's what I don't understand: People get fired in the private sector over pettiness and politics all the time. It's not easy, but it happens.

I can't imagine that there's no middle ground here. Government agencies aren't able to reward based on merit, effort and quality of work rather than time spent on the job? Government agencies aren't able to quicken the firing process while still making it based on a lack of effort or quality of work while attempting to shield employees from politics?

I don't even understand how the "wanton hiring and firing of federal employees as political favors" would work - again, you need evidence to fire someone. I don't mean that government employees should be droppable for whatever reason. Take the appeal process away and have a third party, non-partisan committee review the documentation of reasons for the firing. There's got to be some middle ground here but everyone seems to take the idea of "make it easier to fire federal employees" and their immediate reaction is "THEN EVERYONE WILL BE FIRED EVERY 4 YEARS AND POLITICS WILL RULE THE FEDERAL HR LANDSCAPE!!!"

There's already a legal framework through an appellate court that mediates complaints/protests of termination. There is already a third party to review any incidents.

edit: wow that page came up fast

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 6, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Amergin posted:

Did I say I was fiscally conservative?

Is it "fiscally conservative" if I want government spending to be curbed slightly? I'm touched to see so many people see this in black and white - "if you don't agree with my fiscal notions you are immediately part of the 'other' and are therefore an idiot who hates poor people'."

This thread right here is what's wrong with American politics.

Dismantling social security, pushing for more to be involved with 401ks (little better than a scam by this point) and driving up retirement ages isnt even fiscally conservative, it's far-right wing policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao