Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

Remember Mitt and Anne Romney knew what it was like to be poor, having sold off bits of Mitt's birthday stock to finance their college living arrangements. Hell Neil Cavuto famously bitched about how back in his day 16 year olds got $2 an hour and were happy, which when adjusted for inflation is greater than the current minimum wage.
My father tried pulling that poo poo.

"I was lucky to make 100 dollars a week working full time."

"Wow, you could pay for a semester of college with one week's pay? That's amazing, you guys really had it easy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You wouldn't put a safety on your penis.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
What if I need to whip it out in an emergency? You wont be so smug when your jimmy is caught on a zipper.

SedanChair posted:

Don't try to be a pro at things you lack the training for.
But by all means, fancy yourself an amateur law enforcement officer.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
No, because if it's white, it's aight.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
When I go shopping, I save money by buying the smallest package available. It's called buying in slim, and is very efficient.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
On the third party voting front: I always get to vote third party because the Democrats don't even run in my district. We had a Democrat try for US representative once, and he was so small fry that he personally stopped by my house. For senate, I got to choose between Republican and Libertarian. So before you go all realpolitik about voting third party, maybe you should consider the majority of the country that does not live in a swing state and doesn't get to cast a vote that matters anyway.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The greens are actually pretty cool, especially compared to the party of expanded civil liberties for land-owning whites.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

computer parts posted:

Well unless you believe in vaccinations.
... and libertarians are pretty cool unless you believe in infrastructure and externalities.

I'm not gung-ho on the greens, but the fantasy of an elected green caucusing with the Democrats is less frightening the reality of Libertarians who caucus with the Republicans.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
We're talking about a country that voluntarily lowered their credit rating because paying bills is not a popular policy position, twice. I usually just vote to entertain myself, because US politics is an unsolvable poo poo-show.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Stein sold me with her "sick of this bullshit" advertisement. All a candidate needs to do to win my vote is make me laugh with them, not at them.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Couldn't we put the plants in the rear end-end of nowhere though? I mean the US is barely populated. Then again, as long as the myth of clean coal persists, people will view it as the best option.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

What is with Australia and refugees? Are there really that many people seeking asylum there?
Enough that they need concentration camps to hold them all.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Efficient government is another one of those seemingly agreeable ideas that have been turned into loaded nonsense by politics.
The easiest way to tell this is true is the SNAP program. It is dollar for dollar the pinnacle of government spending and mysteriously needs to be cut for 'efficiency.' There isn't a program in the history of the US that is a more efficient use of government funds, and yet, it is always too big and bloated. Even if you completely ignore the stated purpose of giving people food to eat, the stimulus effect alone makes an extremely good value providing $1.84 worth of economic activity for every dollar dispersed.

If you're looking at how well it treats the problem it was founded to solve with the funds it receives, it makes drat near any other public initiative look impotent. The SNAP program provided 47.6 million Americans with food assistance in 2013. If the Healthcare exchange had that many enrollees, the Republican party would have disbanded. The drug war cost about the same as the SNAP program did before the recession, yet the budget hawks never target such an obviously failed government program. Most of the time 'smaller government' simply means harming people you don't like to divert public funds to those you do.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Amergin posted:

This is part of the reason why I would try and adjust things to make firing employees easier and encourage a more "meritocratic" system. Would it be truly meritocratic? Of course not. But if you can reward federal employees for effort and curb the number of employees down to those who are most effective, possibly boost their pay, I would hope things would quicken.
That is nonsensical. More people can do more work. That's like gravity. Your plan would literally cut the most stable rewarding jobs in the intercity everywhere. Pretending it isn't racist policy is nice, but it isn't true. Let's look at the policy basis for gutting intercity government employment:

You start out in 1954 by saying, “friend of the family, friend of the family, friend of the family.” By 1968 you can't say “friend of the family” — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “friend of the family, friend of the family.” - Lee Atwater, republican strategist.

Amergin posted:

But honestly I don't think it's the government's role to "protect you from homelessness." At the very least I would raise the retirement age and attempt at making the disability benefits more strict. But I don't think the government should be in the business of helping people save money, rather it should focus more on educating folks on how to save money and let them have at it.
Read the preamble of the constitution. Would millions of homeless elderly people promote the general welfare? How about domestic tranquility? The government doesn't just exist to drop bombs and protect business. What happens the next time the banks decide to raid out pensions again? Oh wait, I said pensions, good luck getting one. Also, poor people should save more money is a very stupid thing to say.

HootTheOwl posted:

This is really interesting, can you source it so I can refer back to it later?
Sure! Here's a decent summary of what the SNAP program does: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3239

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Efficiency works like security: there is no reasonable argument for less of it. So what you do is convince the public that your policy goals increase efficiency.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kalman posted:

Is technically M&Ms.
How can it not be jelly beans? Liberals ruin everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Mad Dog 20/20 is 18% AbV to Night Train's 17.5% :colbert:
I fully support a fortified wine of the month. Orange Jubilee MD 20/20 is a good November drink, because it tastes like chemicals and vomit.
Only red grape mad dog is 18%. Wild Irish rose is 18% too and comes in the 50oz jug, so might be good for Christmas when the money is tight.

• Locked thread