Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This may be of interest to some of you: National Cost of Living Estimates At State, City and County Levels

It was last updated in June 2012 and while I'm not sure how accurate it is generally, it's accurate for everywhere I've lived.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

According to the Heritage Foundation, the middle class is everyone with a household income between $71k and $613k

Somehow, the middle class begins somewhere in the 30th percentile of household income and ends at the top 1%. Also, I'm pretty sure that $613k figure is utterly wrong.

source

If you go by the 60s and 70s sense of the term, they're right. We're not a middle class society anymore by that standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

loquacius posted:

Remember, according to conservative ideology anything that provides the rich with more money conveniently gives you more freedom somehow!

Well, you know what they say: Mo' money, mo' problems.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Hahaha:

quote:

During the 2012 presidential election, voters reportedly waited on line for upwards of six hours. That wait alone is enough to deter would-be voters from going to the polls. But now residents in Florida’s most populous county will have another disincentive: they won’t be able to go to the bathroom.

Earlier this year, the Miami-Dade County Elections Department quietly implemented a policy to close the bathrooms at all polling facilities, according to disability rights lawyer Marc Dubin. Dubin said the policy change was in “direct response” to an inquiry to the Elections Department about whether they had assessed accessibility of polling place bathrooms to those with disabilities.

“I was expecting them to say either yes we have or yes we will,” Dubin said.

Got to do something, I suppose, when the opposition outnumbers your party by tens of millions. This is petty enough maybe it'll register as obvious to average voters.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 11, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
That is both the craziest and dumbest argument I've ever seen.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

What? :psyduck: You mean gently caress as in have sex with? What kind of segue did that involve?

I'd guess it was just the unsolicited opining of an unsocialized moron.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

joeburz posted:

Why can't conservatism die a horrible, quick death? Because life is poo poo.

Propaganda works on humans.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

GetWellGamers posted:

It got pretty tiresome after the election though.

If you put all the white noise posters on ignore it was this really amazing 'PolySci w/Swears' thing that I haven't seen anywhere else. LF didn't earn a special place in anyone's heart with ~Trolling Superstars~ (except TT and his grade-A creative writing).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I don't think you 'get' LF.

LF was awesome. My favorite post was about the Congo. Dude posted lots of pictures and history and it was an honestly good thread. LF effortposts in general were always more informative/accurate than anything else. It started the politoons thread. My favorite comedy thread was "If Africa had a currency, it would be the Afro" :allears:

I think a non-FYAD LF would be great for the mid-term elections and literally drum up business for the site.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Has anyone read Picketty's new book Capital in the Twenty-First Century yet? What I'm hearing's good enough I might put it on the top of my pile.

BUSH 2112 posted:

I disagree, really. The FYAD ruleset (if you will) is what made LF, because a lot of really funny posts were things that old-GBS rules would have disallowed.

Maybe not the best descriptor. I associate the joke posts, empty quoting and 'polysci with swears' dynamic and so on with giving hardcore polysci nerds lax standards and a dedicated haunt. I associate the quadruple triple meta irony, mod-stalking and goatseing with 'no no guys, it's an FYAD lite'.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Gerund posted:

The same idea comes up perennially within Washington state, commonly involving dividing the state between the bread-basket east of the cascade range (Yakima, Spokane) and the more industrially developed western side. It tends to die a death every time as soon as people question such bald-faced political arbitrage.

Do you recall how other more left-right issues, like income tax or infrastructure funding, play out in that context?

Edit: I'm mostly thinking about how much easier it would be to implement state level UHC in a 'West Washington' situation.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

"Tax forms are hard" said the man who was in charge of a major military operation in multiple nations.

He's probably into this kind of poo poo: How to Pay No Taxes: 10 Strategies Used by the Rich

Two strategies:

quote:

The Skyscraper Shuffle
Partnerships that let property owners liquidate without liability

Two people are 50-50 owners, through a partnership, of an office tower worth $100 million. One of the owners—let’s call him McDuck—wants to cash out, which would mean a $50 million gain and $7.5 million in capital-gains taxes.

1. McDuck needs to turn his ownership of the property into a loan. So the partnership borrows $50 million and puts it into a new subsidiary partnership, which contributes the cash to yet another new partnership.

2. The newest partnership lends that $50 million to a finance company for three years, in exchange for a three-year note. (The finance company takes the money and invests it or lends it out at a higher rate.)

3. The original partnership distributes its interest in the lower-tier subsidiary to McDuck. Now, McDuck owns a loan note worth $50 million instead of the property, effectively liquidating his 50 percent interest.

4. Three years later, the note is repaid. McDuck now owns 100 percent of a partnership sitting on a $50 million pile of cash—the amount McDuck would have received from selling his stake in the real estate—without triggering any capital-gains tax.

5. While this cash remains in the partnership, it can be invested or borrowed against. When McDuck dies, it can be passed along to heirs and liquidated or sold tax-free. The deferred tax liability disappears upon McDuck’s death, under a provision that eliminates such taxable gains for heirs.

quote:

The Trust Freeze
“Freezing” the value of an estate, so taxes don’t eat up its future appreciation

A wealthy couple wants to leave a collection of income-producing assets, such as investment partnerships that own shares valued at as much as $150 million, to their children. So they “freeze” the value of the estate at that moment, maybe 20 years before their death, pushing any future appreciation out of the estate and avoiding what could be a $50 million federal estate tax bill.

1. The best approach is an “intentionally defective grantor trust.” The couple makes a gift of $10 million—the maximum amount exempt from the gift tax for the next two years—to the trust, which lists the children as beneficiaries.

2. The trust uses that cash as a down payment to buy the partnership from the parents through a note issued to the parents, but the partnership contains a restriction on the trust’s use of the assets, thus impairing the partnership’s value by, say, 33 percent. That enables the trust to buy the $150 million partnership for just $100 million.

3. The income produced by the investment partnership helps pay off the note. The tax bill on that income is borne by the parents, essentially allowing gifts exempt from the gift tax.

4. When the note is paid off, the trust owns that $150 million worth of assets, minus the $90 million note and interest—plus any appreciation in the meantime. The trust has swept up a $150 million income-producing concern without triggering the federal estate tax.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

US taxes are loving stupid. Okay, Rumsfeld is a dick, but he's not wrong. He's just banging on about it for the wrong reasons. Our tax code is one of the single best anti-government arguments, not because of the amount, but because of how convoluted it is.

Don't fall into Grover Norquist's* trap! We can blame this one on his ilk and the corporations, too: The Tax Complexity Lobby

quote:

You might think that everyone hates tax complexity, but you’d be wrong.

Two factions like things just the way they are: tax software companies (especially Intuit, the maker of TurboTax) and government haters like Grover Norquist, president of the ironically named Americans for Tax Reform.

Both Intuit and Norquist were featured in a recent story in ProPublica and NPR titled “How the Maker of TurboTax Fought Free, Simple Tax Filing.”

Software makers like the status quo because they profit so handsomely from it. Intuit’s profit fell by 40% ($47 million) in the first quarter because the start of the tax season was delayed. Imagine what would happen if most filers could do their tax returns without help.

The second group has a more Machiavellian perspective. Grover Norquist is famous for saying that he wants to shrink the federal government so much that it will fit in a bathtub… and then he wants to drown it. A simpler, less onerous tax system would presumably make people feel better about the government, and that is the last thing Grover and his fellow travelers want.

The Obama Administration had proposed that government pre-fill your tax return with information it collects from employers, financial institutions, etc. The idea has gone nowhere, at least in part because of fierce opposition from the tax software industry. Intuit had also temporarily derailed a free file program in California and killed a simple online filing system in Virginia.

Grover portrays himself as the defender of “seniors, low-income and non-English speaking citizens” who might be intimidated into signing an erroneous tax return completed by the IRS. Maybe, but I’m pretty sure that Norquist’s main fear is that taxpayers would appreciate the simplicity.

* This guy:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Joementum posted:

Breitbart has uncovered footage even more devastating than that time they found the tape of Obama hugging a Professor: Al Franken using traffic cones to play at having big tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXsQI1wFdwE

Not even the Lizard People can save Franken now! :ohdear:

Making cone tits like some fauntleroy is really going to upset the feudalists.

I tried to think of who would care and that's what I came up with.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Magres posted:

Whelp, it's official. Princeton study on how society functions from a policy point of view, and (who would have guessed it?) we're an Oligarchy.

I wonder what the political landscape will look like once the American oligarchy really settles in and hits its stride. Post-Soviet Russia? And what should activism look like in an oligarchy?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Old racist Cliven Bundy thinks that the reason people are calling him a racist is that he said the word "negro" and not that he said the only thing "negros" were good for was picking cotton and that they would be better off as slaves.

There really needs to be a word for the opposite of overthinking something.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
The proposed language use also seems more in line with tried and true propaganda techniques like propping up and constantly reinforcing/reactivating the same concept. The War on Terror as opposed to terrorists. The looming menace of big-C Communism as opposed to communists. Do it right, and you enter into the voluminous pantheon of ideas which are reinforced merely by being discussed even when you're presenting disconfirming information.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

It's extremely easy to move out of the US. Quit being pussies and just do it.

Not to nicer countries. :smith:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Quite a development: Seattle Announces $15 Minimum Wage, Highest In The U.S.

quote:

Seattle will raise its minimum wage to $15 an hour over the coming years under a deal brokered by Mayor Ed Murray and blessed by labor and business groups alike, city leaders announced Thursday afternoon.

The new pay floor will phase in at different speeds for businesses of different sizes, but all employers will have to meet the $15 minimum wage by the end of the decade. Businesses with more than 500 employees nationwide will have a three-year phase-in period, while smaller employers get five years to ratchet up their payscales.

After reaching $15 an hour, the city’s minimum wage will automatically climb by 2.4 percent each year regardless of the rate of inflation
. Even among states with relatively strong minimum wage laws, automatic increases are uncommon. Thursday’s deal will make Seattle the national leader on municipal minimum wage laws. Washington currently has the highest pay floor of any state at $9.32 per hour.

Approval from restaurant owners is especially noteworthy given the deal’s provisions for tipped workers. Tips can only be counted toward worker minimum pay for the next five years. After that, the separate minimum hourly pay rates for tipped and non-tipped workers will disappear, and all employees citywide will have to be paid $15 hourly or more.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Talking about Benghazi gives them a pass for not talking about other things, too. Can't overlook that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
All I care about is that the longer they go on about Benghazi, the larger the cost-figures available for attack ads get.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Amergin posted:

This isn't "the police just leave right-wing protesters alone," I'm sorry but that just sounds petty.

It's a sentiment with precedent.

The intelligence community pissed off Congress during the 70s, so Congress aired out the intelligence communities dirty laundry. Not only is this how we learned about hilarious stuff like completely retarded mind-control experiments,* but it's also how we found out about the feds and intelligence community's domestic operations against political and civil rights group. Operations wherein the threshold for when they'd start up against the left was substantially lower than for the right.

Edit: IIRC, they'd go after targets as benign as women's advocacy groups. Contrastingly, if you were on the right, their threshold hovered around the KKK and militias. Which is to say, they'd pick appropriate right wing targets, and would pick inappropriate left wing targets pursuant to strong institutional biases.

And to the extent that institutional culture typically has serious inertia, I'd expect those same biases today.

* Which pretty well exemplify the kind of goofy poo poo which festers behind closed doors.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 5, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Amergin posted:

Did I say I was fiscally conservative?

Your beliefs being right wing antigovernment ad-copy is what's confusing everyone.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 6, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Alternate Hypothesis: Inequality is rising because the rich are coming back!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: Double-posted waiting for the first to show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

Plenty of soldiers come home with psychological, not physical, wounds and are really hosed up when they get back, and they need care just as much as the guys who lost a leg if they're going to function in society and lead a normal-ish life after the service.

Seriously, I had a buddy come back from an uneventful tour where he just spent the entire year dealing with nightly mortar strikes. While home on leave, the CHU next to his got hit and some people he knew died. He was a surly mother fucker when he got back. After seeing a shrink for about a year he's back on the level. If he wasn't able to get straightened out, he'd probably have settled into his rut and been a crazy rear end in a top hat of an alcoholic for the rest of his life.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Amergin posted:

Did you read the quoted message I responded to? It said "rich" not "0.01%".

It's okay though, I love fried chicken.

We're presupposing* rich enough to relocate internationally at-will and maintain quality of life in a less developed context. I say less developed because the US has the cushiest tax situation of the highly developed world.

Edit: * Otherwise, such a person would take the hit and have already moved.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Amergin posted:

...ultra-liberal browbeating...

Not really. There's nothing about being right wing that obligates you to have crappy positions, and they're piling on you because you've got crappy positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Axetrain posted:

The reason welfare programs even exist in the first place is because charity wasn't cutting it. The wealthy and the businesses they own don't give anywhere near the amount required to provide a decent safety net. And just to preempt it, please don't try to sell me a line about how they totally would if it wasn't for some crushing tax burden (that lower then its ever been in modern America).

Not to mention that shifts in economic health simultaneously either increase demand for charity while reducing charitable donations or decrease demand while increasing donations. The public sector does not have this problem.

• Locked thread