Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Nessus posted:

It kind of sounds like you're talking about yourself here, so think - 'what, that is reasonably plausible, would motivate me?' It would probably best to think in terms of "successful organization for a local candidate" rather than "Getting Congress to actually do something to help America in the next couple of years," obviously

Can't be stressed enough, many of the current problems in Congress can be traced back to the weak ground game of the left for local and state offices. Change isn't going to happen overnight, it's going to be years before change at a national level starts, but you have to start somewhere and starting locally will eventually produce the results needed compared to exhausting yourself fruitlessly at the national level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Republicans controlling the Senate and House won't change the narrative, which is the issue here. Any awful legislation they want to pass will get tacked with important legislation (Bills to feed dogs will require you drown kittens, etc) and if Obama vetoes it then it's not their fault for governing improperly, it's obviously Obamas. Just because people will suffer won't suddenly make them aware of who is really making them suffer.

This is also why I hate accelerationism, it gives in to the idea that people must suffer first to improve things when all evidence, and especially from a progressive viewpoint, suggests that human suffering only makes things worse as people begin to focus on surviving versus prospering. It almost feels like the garbage the rightwing puts out about how poor people are lazy, unmotivated, and the only way to change them is to threaten starvation and sickness.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

rkajdi posted:

I know and agree completely, but since when has right-wing Christianity actually looked at the bible versus just developing their beliefs from their bigoted gut instinct?

Because they don't actually change the message of Jesus being a wonderful, empathic and charitable person, but still hold onto horrible beliefs, they usually cause a sharp break in their children. People want to be good, because they want to feel good about themselves, so there seems to be a tendency for them to side against the bigotry and hypocrisy when resolving the cognitive dissonance. Well, at least that was what did it for me.

Actually it's probably fair to say that bigots appropriate passages out of context so they can use an excuse of faith to hold onto lovely beliefs, and since the religion is mostly antithetical to those beliefs, real believers tend to break away.

For something on topic, here is Rick Scott still being an awful person.

I hope Crist buries Lord Voldemort in the elections.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I know it seems unpalatable but if Crist is just a first step in many in turning Florida blue, I am okay with this. The democratic objective right now should be to gain control of state legislative bodies for 2020.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeah, that'll happen when the zombified corpse of Lawton Chiles rises from beyond the grave to run the state democratic party. The two things driving Florida to keep being Republican is a constant influx of old people from other states as the ones living here die off and a state legislature willing to trick out anything to attract more businesses. You're talking about a state that gave a billion plus dollars in taxpayer money to Progress (now Duke) energy for nuclear reactors that will never be built; that money only started being collected by Duke in 2009, when the state budget was looking like absolute dogshit and there were cuts everywhere.

Please stop reminding me how awful my state is goddamn :smith:. I was meaning as a general rule of thumb for the Democratic party that they should focus on gaining back state legislatures prior to 2020 so they can at least reduce the impact, even if they can't reverse, of the redistricting.

Without it will be just in the same state we are in now forever as a best case scenario :smith:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

If the graph wasn't so obnoxious to look at, am I reading it right and that there was a long term downward trend in gun violence until SYG in 2005, in which case is spiked to a new level that's plateaued into into a higher average?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Lots of military hardware is being shipped out from bases in the Carolinas on rail, akin to what was happening in 2002 back when Bush hadn't even brought up invading Iraq in public yet. (Watching the trains near the big bases is a great and under reported way to track what is going on with out military positioning well before it becomes part of the public discussion) We will be getting involved somewhere, smart money is we are reinforcing NATO/backing up the Ukraine

I apparently haven't been paying enough attention to the Ukrainian crisis, what in the actual hell. No seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Looking at it, I don't see if the study asked why in particular those polled felt more or less optimistic about the countries future, a bit disappointing. I know I'd be less pessimistic if the reason white people are pessimistic is legit dissatisfaction with the right wing elements of society, and not you know, the likely more depressing truth that minorities and "commifascists" scare them :smith:

Evil Fluffy posted:

And in a 5-4 ruling, the SCOTUS tells Congress to get hosed and that this is still unconstitutional.

Just kidding. This is going to die in the senate to a filibusterer so that the House doesn't have to deal with it. :smith:

Even if defeated, it's something to campaign on and it gives me hope that left wing populism is being entertained visibly.

• Locked thread