Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Evil Fluffy posted:

US Politics: Those $20 bills are yuppie food stamps.

That's not actually a new thing? I've heard that stupid phrase since the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

zxqv8 posted:

It *is* pretty much a different side of the same coin, now that you bring it up in that context. Accelerationism is just suggesting that people must suffer further and that will at some magical break-point force them to seek change. It's a different way of rationalizing the same nasty bullshit republican legislators are doing to people now with all their regressive bullshit; making being poor bad enough is seen as a motivator in the accelerationist view, just as it is in the right-wing view ultimately.

Honestly I think if the states keep polarizing we'll be able to point out just how horrible conservative policies really are without inflicting them on the entire nation. I mean, sucks to be Wisconsin but they not only elected walker once, but didn't throw him out when they had the chance.

Speaking of incredibly lovely governors, how's polling for Florida? Do we even have a chance at getting rid of Rick, or are we stuck with him until 2018? It really sucks that we have an off-year governor cycle.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

skaboomizzy posted:

RealClearPolitics has an average for the calendar year so far of Crist +4.5 points. Most of those polls are from January, but there hasn't been anything earth-shattering here since then to sway the numbers in a meaningful way.

It's worth noting that UF and Quinnipiac both ran polls in late January that had Crist up 7-8 points. Rick Scott is in trouble here and has been running TV ads since early March.

Well that's something good. Not that Crist is great, but at least it's not Rick Scott again.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Talmonis posted:

The downside of the Federal government giving him back his cattle and leaving, is that it has emboldened the morons who went looking for a fight. This might start to happen a lot more often, in increasingly rediculous situations.

Honestly I'm glad they're not in the business of escalating into big dickwaving contests with unstable nutjobs. There's no point - we know where the guy lives and can stop him from profiting by blocking his ability to sell on the open market. At no point does this need firearms involved.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Fried Chicken posted:

Klansman who shot 3 people had previously worked with the police as part of the Greenesboro Massacre in 1979

Just so the OP isn't suicidally depressing, you should include this lighter note.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Nessus posted:

Can you explain that one? I'm curious, and I mostly perceive advanced finance as a sort of ZARDOZ-esque destroyer-god.

It's pretty simple, really. Traders are mostly in NY, but for whatever reason exchanges are located in NJ. Trades are either submitted over the internet or leased lines. HFT scammers setup an exchange right at the bottleneck and offer a few shares of whatever people are selling on other exchanges. When someone buys them, they snap up all available shares at the other exchanges and re-list them higher.

It works because traders send trades to all the exchanges at the same time, but messages take time to travel at light-speed. The HFT leeches make sure they have a single-fiber no-buffer path from the canary exchange to all the others, so that their reaction to a trade can make it before a less-optimally routed buy order can.

The solution to it was ingenious - find the exact time it took to reach each exchange, and delay messages such that they hit all of them on the same millisecond.

But yes, it's straight-up theft and they're making millions a day doing it.

Edit: The non-technical explanation is they found a "legal" way to get advanced warning of nearly all transactions so they can buy and instantly resell the stock for a small profit. This is also why their arguments of "but but but liquidity!" are a complete joke - the trades would always have gone through without HFT getting in and taking a cut.

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 27, 2014

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Install Windows posted:

9/11 dude, that simple.

True. The thing that threw me was the fact that there were dozens of exchanges, all trading the same stock. I thought NYSE listed stocks had to be on the NYSE exchange before I read about HFTs.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Pope Guilty posted:

That's a pretty clever little scam. If the solution is known, why can it still happen?

I'm assuming that at this point the investment houses all time their trades so that HFT doesn't work against them, but a brokerage doesn't give a poo poo if a smalltime investor has to pay a few extra cents. There's also the matter of kickbacks - while in a sane world an exchange would charge for transactions, in the HFT world the trader is the product and they get paid to trade there - the money is made selling access to those trades faster than they can reach the other exchanges.

NYTimes longform article on it. It's the new-journalism conversational tone, I like the style, others hate it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Abortion: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/14/america-s-abortion-free-zone-grows.html
Fortunately since this article the judges kicked the North Dakota bill to the curb.
The :unsmith: there was that in North Dakota, Republican state senator Stanley Lyson flipped his vote because

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/health/abortion-north-dakota-tammi-kromenaker

By the way, Cosmo is doing some outstanding abortion/contraception/women's health reporting these days. After 2012 and seeing Republican's speak their minds on women, the editors (largely women) decided to draw a line in the sand and have started going HAM on the topic, aggressively recruiting women (and particularly PoC women) who are reporting and writing on the topic to write and report for them on it. Cynically, its because you can't sell "12 weird sex tips he'll love!" if you are living in The Handmaid's Tale, but really it is more the women running the show there realized this is a fight to the knife and are pushing back.

And yeah, I could do more on the rest of the topics, but I was responding quick and dirty and hungry while I waited for my brother to come meet me for lunch

Speaking of abortion: Florida decided on a twofer - possibly criminalizing miscarriage in one case, and putting a fuzzy line of "fetal viability" without a set gestational age, to make sure that doctors don't risk getting close to that line. Given his uphill battle against Crist, I don't see Scott vetoing an anti-abortion law.

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Rexicon1 posted:

Never engage sedanchair. Got it.

That's an unfair assessment. The original implication was that everyone was a man-child who fertilized his totem, and pointing out that they're as mocked as Libertarians are here is a valid counter to that.

With that logic, you could claim that D&D was pro-drunk driving due to a recent thread.

• Locked thread