Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
One thing I don't understand: wouldn't concealed carry be higher than open carry on the list of "planes of gun ownership utopia"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Joementum posted:

I just finished Flash Boys today and I have to say, it's a really lovely book. Lewis leaves cliffhangers at the end of chapters that he only vaguely answers mid-paragraph in the epilogue and the dialogue is so over the top (even by Michael Lewis standards) that you
get the impression that few of the scenes in the story actually happened. For a 270 page book there's also about 50 pages of unrelated story, everything from women's bike clubs to the mystery of a ringing phone in the office that is left unresolved. I question whether he even has an editor at this point. If you're going to read it, go for the audiobook version or just read the summaries and articles linked here.

Yeah but think of how easy it would be to turn into a screenplay. One should always be prepared for the possibility of one's Dad-Tales Totally 100% Not Embellished Account (Full of Colorful Ethnic Characters) being optioned into a based-on-a-true-story blockbuster.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Crap, my paycheck was a figment of my imagination.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Why is a weakness in export markets a reason for stocks to go up?

Put it this way: if the economy's performance was already known but the Fed's measures were not, then the former was already priced in, while the latter only just became so.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Magres posted:

So what's this about France being invaded by one of its colonies? That sounds hilarious and my history is pretty bad

I think this? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op%E9ration_R%E9surrection

Not exactly being invaded by a colony, but it's the closest event to it I guess.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Only self-defense swords are reliable enough for home defense.

Is there any chance this sword could become brittle and break?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

comes along bort posted:

In which Jane Harman greatly upsets Brit Hume by accurately placing #BENGHAZI on the right wing conspiracy continuum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymb61kORfk

Brit Hume's voice sounds uncannily similar to Billy West's Nixon impression.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

I'm sure, given the way public schools are funded, that it's possible for Texas to absolutely tank national rankings and still have a few good districts where the top quintile types live.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

btw you missed a golden opportunity to coin the term 'taxplaining'

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Hmm yeah I wonder why the guys protesting on the doorstep of the halls of power got their skulls bashed in, while a bunch of yahoos in Tumbleweed Canyon aren't being taken seriously as a threat to anybody but themselves?

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

thefncrow posted:

Or how right-wing protestors protest at the doorstep of the halls of power, as you put it, all the time without having their skulls caved in. Sometimes they even flagrantly trespass on federal land, and somehow avoid being battered and gassed.

You can lump right wing protests into 2 large groups: the "Truckers Take DC" type where like 5 dudes show up and disperse in a matter of hours, and the Cliven Bundy type, that happen in remote, backwater type areas.

For some reason right wing protests don't often seem to take place in major (or hey, even minor) cities, and those that do are less noticeable than a fart at a chili eating contest.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

thefncrow posted:

Like, once again, I point you to the protest during the shutdown at the WW2 memorial that was closed because of the shutdown, where protestors dismantled the barricades and trespassed in order to hold their rally.

I wasn't there, naturally, but that incident barely escalated beyond "collective temper tantrum". Trying to compare that to a demonstration on the scale of OWS, or even much less durable demonstrations such as at G8, is laughable on its face.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Install Windows posted:

Larger governments are more efficient.

If you're having a slow Saturday night, ask a right winger why this isn't the case, and yet WalMart's size allows it to leverage economies of scale.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Reminder that Barack Hussein Obama is the moderate realpolitik mix that self-avowed conservatives claim to clamor for.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

You're right. Let's all collectively decide to not vote.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Welp, I live in Florida, so I can't afford to throw my vote away.

Not so fast. What county do you live in?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Presidential elections don't work that way. A vote in a podunk town in the Everglades means as much as a vote in Miami.

My House district is R+4 or so though.

Sure, true enough. My point was that campaigns in '12 were so laser targeted that even large swaths of even so-called swing states were considered already locked up, at least as far as the Obama campaign was concerned.

Putin It In Mah ASS fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 6, 2014

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Stanos posted:

That's because Illinois would be red as poo poo if it weren't for Chicago.

Yes, thank goodness for Chicago holding back the tide of corruption in our state.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Amergin posted:

Please show me some sources of this. Otherwise empirically you're not talking empirically.

It doesn't work that way. One doesn't get to walk in, toss some bombs, and then demand to be proven wrong. As has already been pointed out, this thread gets "one of your kind" in here every few weeks pulling this same act. You could try reading some earlier pages, or previous threads. But coming in here and expecting sources to be laid at your feet like you're the golden child probably won't work out too great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

I had y'all pegged as the caffeine sippin' type of agitators.

• Locked thread