Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Remember when the United Gamefowl Breeders Association said that Mitch McConnell would be "destroyed in Kentucky" because of a bill that criminalizes being a spectator at cockfights? Well, now his challenger Matt Bevin is speaking at rallies of the Gamefowl Defense Network, which I guess is another pro-cockfighting group in Kentucky because one wasn't enough.

quote:

“I was the first person to speak and then I left,” Bevin said. “They knew I was here. They asked if I would be interested in speaking. I’m a politician running statewide, any chance I get to speak to a few hundred people I’m going to take it.”

Bevin, a businessman from Louisville, is challenging incumbent U.S. Senator Mitch McConnell in the Republican Primary. McConnell serves as Minority Leader in the Senate.

Bevin said it was his understanding that the gathering was focused on “state’s rights” and the concern by Kentucky citizens that the federal government has become overreaching.

Yes, true, it was about "state's rights", specifically the right to raise chickens for fighting, a right that's come under more fire this year than anyone would have guessed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

tbp posted:

I can't get on board with this sort of cockfighting. To me, it's a bad thing, and the people that engage in it - hell, they're bad too. Can anyone give me any difference between that and dog-fighting (which I'm sure everyone involved in cockfighting demonized when Michael Vick did it (hm, wonder why :allears:)). Despicable practice, how is it continuing on in the year of our lord which is 2014.

Glad you asked! The Director of the Gamefowl Defense Network, Michael Devereaux, would be happy to explain.

quote:

Devereaux said those who raise fighting cocks have done a poor job advocating their position to the public and telling their story. As a result, public perception equates cock fighting to dog fighting.

The largest issue is that while dogs are raised to be companions to people and dogs are not predisposed to fight one another, more than 8 million chickens are consumed in the United States, annually.

“Commercial poultry lives about six weeks as opposed to two years for a game fowl,” Devereaux said.

In addition, because of breeding, Devereux said gamecocks are predisposed to fight if they get near each other, similar to male beta fish that are put into the same tank.

Devereaux said gamecocks are not just thrown in the trash. The fowl are edible. In addition the feathers are used for fly-fishing lures and for decoration.

So, cockfighting is OK, fish fighting is OK, chicken boxing (which is totally not cockfighting) is OK, but dog fighting is bad.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PostNouveau posted:

Surely being pro-cockfighting in the primary is going to hurt McConnell in the general, right? Right??

McConnell is anti-cockfighting. His primary opponent, Matt Bevin, spoke at the pro-cockfighting rally, but claims that he was only aware that the Gamefowl Defense Network was a state's rights advocacy group.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I really do love this country.

quote:

"But it's interesting when you look at cockfighting and dogfighting as well," [US Senate candidate Matt] Bevin said in an interview on the Terry Meiners Show on Louisville's WHAS on Thursday. "This isn't something new, it wasn't invented in Kentucky for example. I mean the Founding Fathers were all many of them very involved in this and always have been [sic.]"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

I think the comedy value coming from this is the existence of not one, but two cockfighting trade groups, as well as the existence of "chicken boxing" being raised as a serious counterproposal to a minor issue regarding animal cruelty

And also the really bad spin the Bevin campaign is putting out, first saying that he had no idea the Gamefowl Defense Network was a cockfighting group and now the pivot to "James Madison: probable cockfighting enthusiast".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DemeaninDemon posted:

Here's a sentence I would never have thought I'd see in total seriousness. Hopefully this is just the tip of the ice berg for crazy poo poo this year.

There was also the story about Senate candidate Chris McDaniel deciding to quit his speaking spot at the neo-confederate gun show in Guntown, Mississippi today.

He's the one who earlier this year couldn't remember how many League of the South rallies he'd spoken at.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It turns out that President William Henry Harrison probably didn't die of pneumonia he contracted by giving a long inauguration speech, but rather because the White House's water supply was full of poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Vladimir Putin as painted by "43".

If you look into his eyes, you can see his soul.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Urdnot Fire posted:

Nixon signed the EPA into law, it was Democratic senator Henry M. Jackson who proposed it.

Actually, Nixon did propose the EPA, but a big part of the motivation was to consolidate many different agencies and offices, some of which reported to Congress, under one sub-cabinet official who would report to the executive. There were no net new positions or funding created for the Agency at the time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

So smart move? I'm all for efficiency when it makes sense but sometimes it does more harm than good, especially in government where we need a lot of checks/balances and red tape to make sure no one agency is too powerful. Although, if it gave environmentalists more power in government then that was probably a good thing.

Yeah, I'd say the creation of the EPA was a positive for the environmental movement. I'm just pointing out that Nixon's motivation for doing it was, well, Nixonian.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The McCutcheon decision is actually net positive for people who are worried about the influence of money in politics.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I am starting to feel this way. I'm seeing a massive blowback coming from both liberals and conservatives which dud not happen following Citizens United, which I actually saw conservatives defend.

Or do you mean in another way?

McCutcheon lets people donate to multiple campaigns, but those donations need to be disclosed and are subject to FEC (rather than IRS) regulations. If we're going to allow unlimited money in politics, and it looks like the Roberts court is going to allow this, then I much prefer that money going through channels where all the donations are disclosed and where the people spending it are the DNC, RNC, or campaigns where the candidate is required to say, "and I approve this message", rather than ads being run by PACs named "Americans for Liberty and Justice".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

UberJew posted:

The decision does not mandate disclosure and doesn't even guarantee that the court would find any disclosure regulations constitutional.

This at best says 'maybe we won't shoot down your regulatory framework mandating disclosure, unless we don't like it because mandated disclosure is still a 1a violation'.

Given the way this court makes decisions, I would expect any such disclosure regulations (if they were ever enacted, which they currently are not and will never be) to be shot down because corruption in politics (defined strictly as quid pro quo arrangements and nothing else, remember?) is not currently a legitimate government issue because there isn't enough of it: the same rationale that justified overturning VRA preclearance.

It's true that the decision does not mandate disclosure, but regulation currently does mandate it for donations in excess of $100. I do believe that the Roberts court will have few problems overturning limits on donations to individual campaigns when that case inevitably comes before the court in a couple years, but I'm not so pessimistic as to believe that they will overturn disclosure requirements, nor do I predict a serious legal challenge on that front. In fact, a key part of the McCutcheon decision cites the ease with which voters can see information about campaign donations and expenditures on sites like OpenSecrets as a reason why ceilings on donations were no longer necessary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

UberJew posted:

Not if the donations are to a 501(c), or more likely in the future to a JFC (except in the latter case if the donor earmarks their donations for a specific candidate, as long as they do not there is no disclosure mandate)

Yes, but that was already the case pre-McCutcheon without limit. My (qualified) argument that McCutcheon is a net positive is that in an environment where that lack of regulation exists, and is unlikely to spring into existence soon, it may end up being better for voters if donor give directly to campaigns rather than 501(c)s.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

sullat posted:

One day, there will be a politician who understands social media. But until that day, good times.

Unfortunately that politician already exists* and his name is Steve Stockman.

* for another nine months.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Barack Obama does not want Jack Kingston in the Senate and called to tell him as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmhOVz5Ucx4

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

We must, as Matt Bevin argued, return the the Godly ways of our founding fathers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
While that's obviously an edit, there's a rooster in McNaughton's "Obamanation" painting, which according to his site is supposed to represent Jeremiah Wright, who once said that America's "chickens are coming home to roost".

There's also sad Mitt holding a billfold and a soldier crying as he eats a gay wedding cake.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

Normally I can spin out the reasoning but what the hell is that supposed to mean? Equalize the middle class and the rich overnight? Why because we storm your mansions finally?

In order to understand Civilization's Rules, you must think like their Definer. He's saying the rich are not currently equal to the middle class because, unlike the middle class, the rich are not able to give as much money as they would like. You see, it's the rich who are suffering here.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"Thad Cochran... Jimmy Carter... hmmm, are they brothers?" wonders the Club for Growth in its new ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1y0zWGMU_g

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz and Chuck Schumer found something they agree on and a bill to ban Iran's UN ambassador from entering the US will get a floor vote tonight.

The wonders of bipartisanship never cease.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Clinton and Monica did it in a windowless corridor next to the Oval Office because he was worried that gardeners would see.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Not just the Australians, Minnesotans too.

quote:

In his convention speech, [Aaron] Miller called for limited government, reduction of the federal deficit and the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, which he said could not be fixed. He said he can also reach out to the youth vote, which he said would be important for a Republican in the race. During this speech, he had about 20 college Republicans who work with his campaign standing in front of the stage.

He also called for more religious freedoms. He repeated his story about his daughter returning home from school because evolution was being taught in her class. He said the teacher admitted to not believing in the scientific theory to his daughter but told her that the government forced him to teach the lesson.

“We should decide what is taught in our schools, not Washington D.C.,” Miller said.

Miller has declined to provide any more information to verify his story.

He's running for Congress in Minnesota's 1st CD, which is R+1, but held by Tim Walz (D) who won in 2012 with 58% of the vote.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's a helpful chart from Fox News about last week's campaign finance decision.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

This has to be an edit

Yes, but it's an edit of this real chart they made.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Eric Holder is casting aspersions on Louie Gohmert's asparagus again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay9eThmzp1Q

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well now there's probably no chance that Gohmert will work in a bipartisan fashion with the administration. And they were so close! :ohdear:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

He is retiring later this year anyways, why deal with it? Stress already put him in the hospital once a few months ago

You're probably thinking of Steve Stockman. Gohmert is on the ballot for 2014.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

StandardVC10 posted:

Speaking of Ron Paul, the amazing 2007 RON PAUL Helldump thread seems to have vanished from the Comedy Goldmine. :confused:

It got moved into the Helldump goldmine.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ron Paul also believes that gold and silver are the only forms of currency authorized by the Constitution because Article 1 Section 10 says that they are the only things states can use to discharge debt, ignoring Article 1 Section 8 where it says Congress can do whatever the gently caress it wants as far as coining money.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think at this point Republican sex scandals are only noteworthy if they involve crime, homosexuality, or an underage victim, i.e., "dead girl or live boy." Garden-variety infidelity is so . . . twentieth century. He'll "repent" and by the time of the next election cycle he'll be fine.

Keep in mind that we're talking about the state where David "diaperboy" Vitter got re-elected to the Senate and is probably going to be the next Governor.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He was trying to say "aspersions on my character". Just before the asparagus line he said, "I cannot have a witness challenge my character."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bush should have tried asking people to let him be clear.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mike Huckabee has a few more thoughts on the ladies. Also too, the gays.

quote:

You see, I have a concern that one of the reasons we lose battles we should win is because we wait to see whether or not the crowd is going to be with us. My question to you tonight — it's nice to see a nice, full crowd of folks here in this wonderful Point of Grace Church — but I just wonder if you were the only one who showed up tonight, would you still be ready to take on the cause? Because the fact is we don't like to do things by ourselves. We really don't. Guys like to go fishing with other men. They like to go hunting with other men. Women like to go to the restroom with other women. I don't get that. I can tell you this much: if I ever say, 'I have to go to the restroom' and some guy says, 'I'll go with you,' he ain't goin' with me. That much I know.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cheekio posted:

Does SA do twitter? Because GOP Teens is great.

Maybe that's who Sensenbrenner is trying to write here.

Reminder: Rep. Sensenbrenner wrote the the USA PATRIOT Act, including the part that specifies what types of data intelligence agencies can collect and store.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Interesting polling find. Of those who oppose Obamacare because it's "not liberal enough", only 10% (or about 1% of the total population) actually want more liberal healthcare.

You could possibly lump a couple more of those response sets in (like "doesn't help poor enough"), but there's still a significant number who say it's not liberal enough, but also oppose more government control, don't like the mandate portion, or would be otherwise opposed to any realistically more-liberal-Obamacare policy, as well as quite a few low information voters who really have no idea what they're saying.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Whiskey Sours posted:

Yes, he certainly accomplished a lot in Iran and Kuwait.

You know who else didn't accomplish much in Iran and Kuwait.....

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Thursday. Thursday. Thursday! 9AM. Book it/her!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Mitch McConnell posed a query to the facebooks.

Let's see how people answered... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Lindsey Graham uses a Senate hearing to complain about his TV service.

• Locked thread