Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Good thing too, in order to achieve his goal of a balanced budget in 10 years with no tax reform and no changes to social security while expanding defense, he has to lay in deep cuts to the social safety net. ~86% of the costs in the Ryan budget would be born by the poor. gently caress this guy.

I don't think you understand how Ryan is the only one in Washington who is being serious about debt. After all, that is why his budget made the headlines for a few days and why you never heard a peep about the Better Off Budget released by the House Progressive Caucus on anything other than Counterspin on NPR. Maybe if they were willing to be SERIOUS about cutting our unfunded entitlements the press might actually give them some airtime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

An Angry Bug posted:

Not just suffering. Dying. Guess our country is run by flat-out murderers.

You mean the drone strikes didn't tip you off?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Probably just in the Democratic Primary but hey, maybe he'll force Clinton to pretend to be slightly less neoliberal for a month or two!

I live in California so I won't even get to do that since their primary is so late (even if I wanted to register as a Democrat) :shepicide:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Chris Christie posted:

The U.S. government publishes statistics showing the upper and lower household income limits by quintile and for the top 5%. I always go by that. Bottom 20% = Poor, 20-40% = lower middle class, 40-60% = middle class, 60-80% = upper middle class, above 80% = upper class, top 5% = rich. I think that's pretty reasonable.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/historical/families/

So for the latest year available, 2012:

Poor = Less than $28,000
Lower Middle Class = $28,000 - $50,000
Middle Class = $50,000 - $77,000
Upper Middle Class = $77,000 - $119,000
Upper Class = $120,000 and up
Rich/5%er = $210,000 and up

Honestly, I think Census should keep tracking the 5% level just to enable comparisons over tome since they've already been tracking it, but I think 1% really is more meaningful to measure. I'd like to see them add it.

That's a fair way to break it down, although (as many others have pointed out) there's something to be said for acknowledging cost-of-living as well (maybe by breaking down those quintiles by metro-area/state rather than nationwide), since class is usually associated with a lifestyle, which may cost more or less depending on the location.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 5, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It's academic to argue the point though. From the poor white in the south voting to "keep the government out of my Medicare" to the moderately rich black voting to lower taxes because it will create jobs, people vote against the better interests of themselves and society as a whole at all income levels.

In short: the base of the Republican Party tends to consist of short-sighted and misinformed individuals, ladies and gentlemen. Hope that helps.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

HootTheOwl posted:

Please, D&D has the best food derails.

It's telling that the California Politics thread died due to never-ending food derails.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It didn't die, it just got deported to Tourism and Travel.

And it still has food derails (which, granted, probably says more about California than it does about D&D).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Amphion posted:

Maine is really annoying, Obama can win by 16 but they vote in people like LePage, King, and Collins.

"If it's 50-50 and the Republicans can offer me a sweet committee chair position..."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

How... Responsible! :swoon:

Paul Ryan is my kind of serious politician, not like that fiscally irresponsible House Progressive Caucus...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SedanChair posted:

Are these facts? Then we already know how much they'll affect the debate.

I didn't realize that the truthfulness of those statements would actually matter to the people who support Bundy. (Either way they are "lies of the liberal media.")

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

I've been working on an overhaul of the OP.

(snip)

This post could really do with links. Last news I'd heard about abortion was that Albuquerque beat back the 20-week ban that would have closed one of the only late-term abortion clinics in the country. Given that you're talking about the west here did the pro-life/anti-abortion activists get the last laugh?

Also I hadn't heard the latest news on the unionization of the Northwestern players.

EDIT: Other possibly relevant news items include Supreme Court rulings, FCC's rule making legalizing pay-to-play on the Internet, possibly a heads-up on the next round of budget battling (Ryan vs. Progressive proposal vs. what's actually likely)

It might also be worth doing a roundup of the Republican 2016 candidates too (Don't forget to mention Jeb)

Any Seattleites have any Kshama Sawant news?

Oh, and you might want to expand the Boehner vs. Republican thing into a "the state of immigration reform" paragraph.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 26, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Beamed posted:

I can't really take people talking about Boehner being replaced as Speaker of the House after the loving hilarious 2012 show of it. "If anyone sees this e-mail, you're fired".

Yeah, but wasn't he something like one vote away from a second vote? And other than Stockman, it's not like any of the Tea Party rebels are going to lose their seats this year.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Lots of military hardware is being shipped out from bases in the Carolinas on rail, akin to what was happening in 2002 back when Bush hadn't even brought up invading Iraq in public yet. (Watching the trains near the big bases is a great and under reported way to track what is going on with out military positioning well before it becomes part of the public discussion) We will be getting involved somewhere, smart money is we are reinforcing NATO/backing up the Ukraine

By the by, I just saw the video for this. It's interesting to note, but I'd want to make sure mentioning this isn't going to turn into InfoWars-style Pollyanna-ing (especially considering that "recommended videos" include movement of materiel in 2010 and 2011 when no new major actions occurred.)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Could you post a link to the video?

Here you go.

There are several copies of the same video on YouTube if you look. Most are (unsurprisingly) riddled with comments right out of InfoWars about FEMA internment camps, and links to other such movements over the past four years, none of which were related to subsequent military action. Given all this I'm inclined to note that movement is happening but it's probable that it is normal movement, not anything special. At least not until there's corroborating evidence suggesting that this is actually unusual. Especially when you have to move north toward Richmond or south toward Atlanta before you can really move stuff west by rail.

EDIT: Fried Chicken's response is probably the most probable explanation: part drawdown, part repositioning, but not necessarily war preparations.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 27, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tatum Girlparts posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10 how afraid of the knockout game are you, because if saying 'yo maybe you don't need an AR-whatever' is calling every rural working class person a hick somehow you must be just enraged that one of the main faces of gun rights in this country uses that as a constant thing people should be afraid of.

To be fair both SedanChair and Republicans are almost certainly conflating the post-Sandy Hook events with Obama's "clinging to guns and religion" comment. In fact, that '08 comment was probably more harmful to the gun control movement than any of the actual actions taken after Sandy Hook.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JT Jag posted:

Technically speaking if two thirds of both houses or two thirds of a national convention vote for an amendment, then the input of the states is not constitutionally required, though amendments have been ratified by the states in all but one case in US history.

There is no end-run around ratification. You can end-run around the legislatures (except for in New Mexico), but you can't bypass the states giving their input. The two-thirds is only to submit it to the states for ratification in the first place.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mo_Steel posted:

"C-SPAN is like Paranormal Activity movies. Grainy shots of empty rooms interrupted by shots of people you're pretty sure died years ago." :allears: Looks like he did great.

"As it stands right now, the Republican presidential nominee will either be Jeb Bush, Rand Paul, or a bag of flour with Ronald Reagan's face drawn on it." :allears:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SedanChair posted:

e: I came very close to voting Stein in 2012 but didn't do it even in a blue state. Badnarik '04

I like to think that my vote for the former morally offset my vote for the latter. There was an Obama vote in the middle there, but even then that was more because New Mexico was almost a swing state than for any love of Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sword of Chomsky posted:

Not to mention their other rampant anti-science viewpoints. Greens aren't an option for me. I'll stick with the devil I know, thank you very much.

If I recall correctly, even Stein has admitted that it would be preferable if the Greens weren't so... That way. Her campaign wasn't so much about Green (the party) so much as the other kind of green that led to Occupy. I decided to go with her over Rocky Anderson in the end mostly for ballot access reasons (I concluded that the greens having access was more likely than the New Mexico Independent Party who backed Anderson)

But you're right in general and it's why I've refused to register as Green here in California. (And the Stewart Alexander/Roseanne issue puts me off the Peace and Freedom Party, even if I don't fully agree with Alexander's politics, so I remain independent)

• Locked thread