Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Globally as well.

I mean, they are about to get WAY worse than we have seen in a long time in the next few decades when climate change kicks into overdrive, but right now violence, hunger, disease, and lack of clean water are at the lowest point they have ever been in world history.

Are you guys serious with this poo poo?

Please name a time outside of the 90's (and I hope you weren't gay) that were better then the here and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Justus posted:

I read poo poo like this, and I thank my lucky stars I was raised in family that imparted useful frugality philosophy and skills. It's difficult for me to imagine "barely treading water" with a $71k household income. I understand it's not much for dual income, but with a decently non-hedonic lifestyle, that should be plenty to fund a family of four pretty comfortably.

Anecdotally, I make about that much as a single earner, get like $50k net, and manage to invest about $30k of that and live QUITE luxuriously on the remaining $20k. My perspective is that most of my upper-middle class coworkers blow their paychecks on silly hedonistic things like hundreds on shoes and clothes, new $100k cars bought on credit, brand new furniture every couple of years, etc.

I know this one couple that has a kid in 1st grade, and they live even better than I do but spend only about $25k/yr for all three of them.

Keep in mind location makes a big difference, moving from TN to MA changes my yearly rent bill from $5,400 to $34,800 for a smaller place.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

down with slavery posted:

... That's a little more than moving states. MA is not 7x as expensive as Tennessee

From rural TN to the inner suburbs of Boston? yes, yes it is.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

So Apples to Oranges then.

How the gently caress is that apples to oranges?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vavrek posted:

In terms of living cost to living cost, it's not. I think the issue was that you initially made the comparison as TN vs. MA, full stop, when your move also was rural to urban.

Thats irrelevant to the point I was making, which was N dollars can be a totally different quality of life based on where you're living because of cost of living changes.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

That's fine, but MA is not seven times as expensive as TN. If you want to talk about downtown boston versus bumfuck nowhere, that's fine. But there's no reason to go crazy making insane claims.

Loving the "but but 90k in household income isn't that much" liberals are the best

Thats literally my old rent as of Feb 2012 in TNx12 versus my rent as of 1 Jun in MAx12.

Who said 90k isn't that much?

edit: fair comparison of what?

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 5, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

where in MA

now where in TN

do you get it yet?

Sorry that superfluous letters in my statement caused your autism to flair up or something, here I rewrote it in the hope it will be more on your reading level:

Keep in mind location makes a big difference, moving from one part of the country to another changed my yearly rent bill from $5,400 to $34,800 for a smaller place.

So for example $50k family income might be a comfortable life for someone in some parts of the country but paycheck to paycheck in another

pages of "but cost of living"

So no one

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

Basically I'm hobbled in this argument because I don't really understand what the political point is that people are trying to make by vehemently denying that some areas are more expensive to live in than others :confused:

I don't know, I was only making the point that cost of living varies by location and therefore should be taken into account when trying to judge someone's quality of life based on a static annual income figure.

Since I went from living in one of the cheapest housing markets to one of the most expensive I thought my anecdote would illustrate the point.

For some reason this has caused certain individuals to lose their loving minds trying to show... what I don't really know.

I got a good deal on the place in TN because the local rental market was poo poo at the time due to the entire loving 101st being deployed at the same time, my housing allowance jumped about 5x based on the move if that number makes you feel better.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

You used exact numbers that are bullshit, which is why you were called out. If you make $70k in America (EVEN AS HOUSEHOLD INCOME), no matter where you live, you are doing pretty good. Even in NYC/SF. You have no concept of what poverty is like if you think otherwise.

It would have had you been honest

That you're full of poo poo? I'm still waiting for you to explain how $450/mo goes as far as $2900/mo in Boston. Maybe some pictures/descriptions of your property (its all good we both know you're wrong anyways)

I never said 70k wasn't doing pretty good, I don't think I ever even typed the number 70k in reference to anything. You're arguing with people that don't exist and calling people liars about poo poo that not only do you clearly know absolutely nothing about but isn't even relevant to the point being made.

I'm not posting pictures of my loving house, they are both 2 bedroom multi unit buildings, TN was a townhouse and MA is a "Philly" style. Its within walk/bike range of the edge of the Boston subway system. Your indignation is loving retarded because I could find a similar unit for even more money if you tried to live near Harvard or Central. I could find cheaper if I wanted to live in some of the lovely non-updated buildings they market to the local students.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Soviet Commubot posted:

Probably most but not all, that's for sure. All this talk about about COL and wages in various places really brings home to me how out of touch I must be with US society at large. Both of my parents were uneducated rural white people (mother had a high school education, father quit school in 6th grade) who never made over minimum wage and at 31 the most I've ever made was as a sergeant in the Army, which I thought was pretty good money but is apparently barely a pittance compared to what most of you guys make. It would probably be depressing if I could really fathom what a $70k a year lifestyle is like in anything but academic terms. I'm cognizant of my white privilege as an immigrant to another first world country but you guys posting about $22k a year in just housing expenses is kind of a mindfuck for me.

Boston E-5 BAH /w dep is ~$33,600 annual, its what paying for my apartment

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yeah I am really angry at people who support politicians who continue to enforce the status quo, which means children in my country go hungry, the poor don't have access to healthcare, and large financial institutions like banks and student loan vendors just continue to gently caress the poor over and over again while maintaining a broad level of support from those who describe themselves as "liberal"

Oh boo hoo hoo your anecdote is bullshit get over it

http://cookeville.craigslist.org/search/apa?zoomToPosting=&catAbb=apa&query=&minAsk=&maxAsk=&bedrooms=2&housing_type=&excats=

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/search/apa?zoomToPosting=&catAbb=apa&query=&minAsk=&maxAsk=&bedrooms=2&housing_type=&excats=

^ a load of loving bullshit

Should I just ignore it when you say incorrect things? Sorry for letting my "autism" flare up, I just figured some level of accuracy would be helpful if we're going to actually debate the impact of cost of living on standard of living.

Western MA? Are you loving serious with this poo poo? I paid $725/mo when I lived in Western MA ten years ago, its loving farm country.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

It's almost as if TN vs MA is not a good comparison and that one isn't 7x as expensive as the other.

You're either drunk, high, or no poo poo have some sort of serious disorder, either way I'm done and I apologize to everyone else in this thread for my part facilitating this stupid loving derail.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is it really? I thought it was purely as a means by which companies can control wage/salary negotiations/expectations. Or has social mores turned it into something rude as a result of it being prohibited under company policies for so long?

No its considered rude on its own merits totally outside of the fact companies discourage it in order to reduce employee bargaining power.

Far too many people put far too much emotional stock into salary as a measure of a person's worth, so discussing it has always been considered extremely rude, even if the person you're speaking with works at a different company or in a different field.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

zoux posted:

My grandfather grew up in pre WWII Louisiana and my dad grew up in immediately post-Jim Crow Mississippi so I have pretty first hand experience about how otherwise good people can hold pretty abhorrent views on race.

Ya my exposure to some of the worst of the South via the army has really taught me this, and so the hyperbolic caricatures (see: the gunchat a few pages back) that get thrown around this forum I find just as offensively stupid as when I get some stupid image macros about liberals popping up on my Facebook feed from old army buddies.

People are people, it used to be so easy when I lived in the northeast my whole life to just hate the bigots as the "other", but for the most part they're otherwise good people who think they're doing the right thing but whose judgement is clouded by ignorance.

I used to get real mad, still do at some special brands of shitheel like Bundy, but now for the most part is just makes me sad. I've had some success at picking away at ignorance I've encountered, but its hard because human beings are so quick to label something antithetical to their world view as some sort of malevolent other and shut down without applying critical thinking that you have to gently pick away at the edges in ways they can relate if you want them to actually internalize and think about what you have to say.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

W/r/t the discussion of whether to call someone "racist" or "a racist": The strategy I've seen recommended which I like best is to do neither, but to point out that something they said was racist. That's less likely to put them in full-out kneejerk defensive mode and more likely to make them actually reconsider an idea they've expressed, or defend it on its own merits, instead of pointing out that they have black friends.

e: To put it more plainly, hate the racism not the racist. Unless you just like shouting matches. Then go nuts I guess.

gently caress even bringing up racism, point out why what they're saying is wrong

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd like to think that being racist is its own punishment in terms of being stink-eyed in public, losing out on potential friends and such, but I guess in some most places it isn't.

Fixed that for you,

Did you know that outside of the US and maybe Canada people are openly and flagrantly racist without any sort of social sanction?

As an American living in Europe it always amuses me when the young liberals idealize this place without realizing that the reason you never hear about racism in Europe isn't because Europe doesn't have racism, its that no one seems to care about it here. I haven't spent that much time in Germany/England/France, but in southern and eastern Europe people will say horrendously racist things that would be shocking to hear in the deep south as casually as they comment on the weather.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Literally every society since they were invented was to some degree racist and it's really only in the last 100 years or so when anyone ever thought "hey maybe bigotry isn't cool".

Well my point is that despite common perceptions for the most part the US and a handful of others are the only ones that reached "hey maybe that ain't cool stage"

I think it mostly has to do with the non-homogeneous nature of North America and the late Imperial powers causing racism to lead to a lot of friction and therefore gotten attention as a society

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'm trying to figure out a way to contort the switching bourbon for Canadian whiskey not drinking your bourbon straight into the act of an unpatriotic liberal hippie, but cannot manage it at the moment. Stupid head cold.

fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ReindeerF posted:

Gary "intern loving murder suspect later exonerated" Condit? If so, I would bet indignation over his treatment.

Hey guys due process is only important when its people we like

• Locked thread