Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Jesus, what a fiasco for everyone involved.

I would request vaporization by detonation of like 500 pounds of explosives molded to my body or something.

Morbid Question: How did they choose who went first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So Oklahoma cheaped out on every step of this execution then?

The end of the NYT article posted:

Mr. Lockett did register one final protest of sorts. For his last meal, he requested Chateaubriand steak, fried shrimp, a loaded baked potato, garlic toast, an entire pecan pie and a liter of Coke Classic. His order was denied because its cost exceeded the state’s $15 limit, said Jerry Massie, spokesman for the Department of Corrections.

Yep.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there any kind of period in recent history where there was a prison or jail and it wasn't always nearly full or over-capacity and whoever was in charge said something like: "Well poo poo, I guess we didn't need this big of a place after all, or at least for a good while, make it a lasertag arena for the next 10 years."

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
We can outsource prison terms as a study-abroad incarceration program. You can be less likely to be murdered and when released have learned a valuable language skill for today's global economy!
DID I JUST POST IN FAVOR OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING?!

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Iron Twinkie posted:

"Suspicious Deaths of Bankers Are Now Classified as “Trade Secrets” by Federal Regulator"
http://wallstreetonparade.com/2014/...eral-regulator/

:tinfoil:

I wonder if hire-for-murder rather than murder-for-hire is still 'in the 1st degree'.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

SnakePlissken posted:

Toyota ain't Toolin' up in Texas for Taxes - Says Texans Workin', Not twerkin'

While it's likely that a "Big Deal Company" like Toyota got some kind of specialized tax treatment, according to this pretty neat Washington monthly article, most businesses in Texas won't see lower taxes than elsewhere. It's going to be a very interesting next 15-25 years in Texas, especially for Greater Houston(basically Harris and surrounding counties), as the current ludicrous growth speed is all but certain to continue for decades. That pace of expansion, combined with the unstoppable shift in regional/state/national demographics, is hopefully something Texas can handle because anywhere that becomes the next boom-state will probably look to what Texas will have done as an example, hopefully a good one.

Here's a short piece about how the GOP is trying to deal with those changes. I found it a useful primer on how political parties perceive these coming changes:
Democrats Want To Mess With Texas? GOP Says Not So Fast you can listen to it here too.

If you have more time on your hands(~30min), last week there was a really cool interview with Dr. Stephen Klineberg co-director of this institute at Rice Univeristy about his latest study. It is a great discussion about the future of the "Blob that Ate East Texas": https://soundcloud.com/houstonmatters/what-does-the-latest-klineberg-study-tell-us-about-houston

Kinder Institute Houston Area Survey posted:

Now into its 33rd year, the annual “Kinder Institute Houston Area Survey” has measured systematically this region's ongoing economic and demographic transformations and recorded the way area residents are responding to them. No other metropolitan region in America has been the focus of a research program of this scope. No city more clearly exemplifies the trends that are rapidly refashioning the social and political landscape across all of urban America.

Wait, what are all these egghead words doing 'round here? I meant to post:
"I've got yer Toyoders now, Yankee..."
:clint::clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

SedanChair posted:

All candidates should do ads while visibly buzzed.

Wasn't there a representative government or something in the past 500 years where they would debate bills and proposals in week long sessions that alternated between sober/hammered so that both the public and the representatives could see which proposals stood up and which ones fell apart because they were just smoke screen put up by a grinning face who didn't believe a word he was saying?

• Locked thread