Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Is there much of anything in terms of on-the-ground reporting? Actually talking to the militiamen, I mean.

If they harm someone for not being "qualified" to pass a checkpoint, at that point isn't Waco:2014 inevitable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
If they don't use glow-paint on the eyes and pentagram, I'll buy a round-trip ticket and do it myself.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Pretty sure the Satanists have done it about as well as it can be done.

Um. I don't see any plans to install Van de Graaff generators in the fingertips?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Subpoena Kerry? What's the point, he wasn't even sec of state when it happened. Is he supposed to dump all of Clinton's documents or something?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Benghazi is the something they're stuck on, because superficially it should be the long-awaiting presidency-ruining scandal they've been waiting for since 2008.

At this point, it's like a hybrid of the Clinton impeachment and the Swiftboat Truthers. New media makes both strategies obselete, but they're cargo-culting pretty much everything else so why not do it for attacks, I guess?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

I can't find anything suggesting he changed his name. Was he born with that name? I want to believe.

Reminds me of the original Lowtax (died last year).

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

As for what the smaller government would be like... to be vague, let's start with cuts to public education administration costs and (administration) personnel, cuts to military expenditures, a weening off of Social Security/slow wiping out of Social Security, a simplification of our tax system (vague soundbytes!), cuts/revamping of disability benefits and cuts to unemployment while redirecting those funds to SNAP.
Also cuts to government personnel while making it easier to fire government employees in an attempt at making government employment slightly more meritocratic.

Curious about your social security idea: what happens after weaning off? Because private charity didn't cut poverty rates among elderly down to ~9%. Before SS was enacted, the elderly had a poverty rate of 35%. Inequality is worse now than in the sixties, wealth distribution is even worse than the great depression. It's not a safe bet to count on everyone having a private retirement account.

You've been pretty vague, are you suggesting a GMI for all, or military-style housing stipends for old people, or just cutting the safety net entirely? Food aid is great, but it's not going to protect you from homelessness the way SS can.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=4037
http://www.nber.org/bah/summer04/w10466.html

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

SubponticatePoster posted:

I live in Utah. I could vote for a ham sandwich and it wouldn't matter unless said sandwich has an -R after its name, in which case it will be elected. Also here Democrats are third party, after "absolutely loving crazy tea party Republican" aka Mike Lee, and "really right wing but less goddamn crazy Republican" aka Jon Huntsman.

Is Huntsman really less crazy? All I remember from the presidential primaries is that he was exceptionally polite. His policy proposals were more extreme than Romney's, at least in part.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

comes along bort posted:

It's one of the stupidest ideas to come out of one of the historically stupidest legislatures. NC schools with few exceptions are organized at the county level- the bill is about letting kids from poorer counties go to schools in much richer neighboring counties like from Johnston to Wake or Alamance to Orange. All it does is screw over the poorer places by removing funding since it's determined on a per-pupil basis.

You're just mad that kids from Murphy have the chance to attend schools in Manteo, thus disintegrating the family unit by spending seventeen hours a day on the bus. You must be a proponent of homeschooling to ignore the luxurious free transit in that generous proposal, nobody else would complai aaaaargh gently caress

God, I hate our state government.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

1) Create a mandatory personal finance curriculum spanning grades 9-11/12 (which I admit would be difficult to fit in with all the :siren: STEM :siren: focus these days).
2) Focus on 401ks.
3) ???
4) PROFIT!

But honestly I don't think it's the government's role to "protect you from homelessness." At the very least I would raise the retirement age and attempt at making the disability benefits more strict. But I don't think the government should be in the business of helping people save money, rather it should focus more on educating folks on how to save money and let them have at it.

There's a bunch of foundational steps you'd have to take to get to (1) being worth a drat. Minimum living wage, medicare for all, probably a wealth tax, etc.

Just to get it out there, would you disagree that government's role includes "Ensure every citizen has access to a life worth living" - without any unrealistic assumptions like everyone gets a pony and has a castle?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Chantilly Say posted:

What else am I paying taxes for? You don't think it's the government's job to ensure its citizens have basic necessities?

Following this: would our hypothetical shrunken government still provide free housing for soldiers? If so, is it because they deserve it or because of institutional inertia?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Radish posted:

I'm curious about something that someone with a background in economics might be better at answering. What exactly happens if the uber rich decided to leave? The natural resources, grown food, skilled laborers, and buyers are still all here. In GOP theory there is no longer anyone there to pay people to do anything, however obviously the reality is that people wouldn't just sit around and starve, they'd pay for people to do stuff and another economy would emerge. However does that economy use the same dollar, a new currency, or does the dollar get massively devalued? I really have no idea how that sort of incredibly improbable situation would work out but I'm curious if knowledgeable people have thought about it.

Check out Argentina (wrt closed factories). I wish Americans had that set of cojones.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

Yes, I would agree to that - however I see that as being "government makes sure the ceiling isn't low" rather than "government makes sure the floor is high enough for you to touch the ceiling".

What I want is really more like "The floor is high enough so you can leave the room when you want to, because sometimes you have to eat or poop or have hobbies and relationships and schooling, and why are we in this pit?" since economics and government aren't detached from society the way theoretical physics is.

e: also, you never answered the military free housing question

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Amergin, reading over your posts I noticed something odd about your language. The government doesn't "prevent" anyone from becoming homeless. Camping is completely legal and the couple of homeless dudes I've known well were living out of their backpacks, just like my hippie cousin does for fun. Except, they didn't have cars or houses and they weren't having a lot of fun, and would get hassled by cops if they stayed in one area too long. Sober-living, fortunately employed, but they didn't have a home base and it meant wasting huge portions of the day to do ordinary things. There's a term called "time poor" and while it's a bother when you have means, it's a ball-and-chain when you're homeless.

It's better to internalize the term for government's help as "protect" in this case, because as it stands, you can always go camping but you can't always come home.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

If there are any silver linings for the Paul camp, Walter Jones looks like he will narrowly hang on in NC-03.

You sure? N&O's interactive map shows Jones losing at this point. Are the unaccounted areas just heavily Jonesing?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

For those who don't know Jones, he was the Congressman who came up with "Freedom Fries", but turned hard against the Iraq War after having to write too many grievance letters to families in his district and was a close ally of Ron Paul in the House.

Last time I went to the Blue Marlin Tournament in Morehead, I was actually able to buy freedom fries from a food truck. If memory serves, it was after 2010.

And tonight, we are all Claymates who've been Aiken for this moment :rimshot:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
I appreciate his showboating of NC beer in the video, but that doesn't look like he's stocking Covington vodka, or Carriage House apple brandy, or bros Vilgalys Krupnika, or Topo whiskey, or Cardinal gin. Got himself a nasty case of out-of-state liquor. Bastard.

vvv e: i legit hope this is foreshadowing for him pulling a Perry or Priebus during whatever debates he gets

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 7, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Don't get me wrong, I prefer London Dry style gin. Cardinal's heavy on the spearmint and no favorite of mine, but Our State uber alles.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

I thought real Americans only drank whiskey and/or bourbon. <:mad:>

Sweet potato vodka (derived, not flavored) is the nectar of the gods. Rye and scotch are fine, bourbon's too sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

nutranurse posted:

How could you recommend to us a $60-$110 bottle of booze in good faith knowing that the discussion that would take place in the thread would be how poor we are and how much poorer we're going to become???

Lagavulin 16. Near the top of your range. Finest scotch, if you aren't being ridiculous and buying stuff older than yourself.

• Locked thread