Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Don't forget that the designer children are also just avatars and their actual mind is in those fancy cubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Artum posted:

Puck was using the Install system, he literally copied over Kube's mind.
Which would make him a copy of Puck, not an extension of Puck, so they might come into conflict.

Although maybe the show will just ignore that.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Not gonna lie guys, I'm gonna be REALLY narked off if bugbear doesn't dramatically change sides what with there being a 2 parter dedicated to showing how hes not a complete psychopath like amarok and malkin.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought that at first, but there hasn't really been much since then to show him as being any different from the others so I've given up hope on that, personally.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
There was the stuff between him and Seiren/Setsuna in the most recent episode but that's about it. That's why I'd be narked off: the show already has pacing issues and if they don't touch on it in a big way then they wasted 2 episodes.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Bugbear and Lieban both stick out to me as prime candidates for turning to Globe's side - or, if the theorizing with Puck turns out to be true, they'll be the first of the Planetary Gears to do so at least. The follow-up on the Lieban-versus-Nebula fight just screams "I'm going to join you because you bested me and I'll probably wrap it up in some sort of wind analogy."

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oddly I get the feeling Seiren does too, was surprising that she misses her space squirrel.

Malkin and Amarok have been awake since they were 7 or whatever so they've spent the majority of their time as space-vampire-supremacists, Zimbalt and Aiatar both had lovely lives so they really don't seem like they'd turn coat. The rest seem to have enough of a buffer of a normal-ish life to distance them all the kiltgang rhetoric a little.

That'd set up for a neat 4v4 if not for Daichi and Hana.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lurking Haro posted:

Don't forget that the designer children are also just avatars and their actual mind is in those fancy cubes.

The fact that Teppei destroyed his outright and didn't turn into a vegetable while still retaining his Kiltgang memories suggests that it isn't quite this clear-cut.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Artum posted:

That'd set up for a neat 4v4 if not for Daichi and Hana.

Speaking of which holy poo poo the Earth Engine Impacter needs to do something soon. Rolling out auxiliary Impacter robots is cool and all but last time we saw it in action was nearly ten episodes ago.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

The fact that Teppei destroyed his outright and didn't turn into a vegetable while still retaining his Kiltgang memories suggests that it isn't quite this clear-cut.

Backup unit, then. You can't deny that they are connected somehow.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Shaezerus posted:

Speaking of which holy poo poo the Earth Engine Impacter needs to do something soon. Rolling out auxiliary Impacter robots is cool and all but last time we saw it in action was nearly ten episodes ago.

The new opening seems to be telegraphing pretty hard that Daichi's going to be getting his shining finger/punch on at some point soon, which is kinda needed what with his team being space-knight teppei and precog-Guncannon Hana.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Puck is manipulating the gears as well, I'm starting to suspect that they aren't really aliens at all. What if their memories of being immortal aliens is false? Maybe the alien ship just sends down Puck to planets and then gets the inhabitants to do all of the work, then eats everyone's orgone including its unwitting servants. I'm not sure how that squares with Hana and Blume, but something is fishy about this whole situation.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Puck is manipulating the gears as well, I'm starting to suspect that they aren't really aliens at all. What if their memories of being immortal aliens is false? Maybe the alien ship just sends down Puck to planets and then gets the inhabitants to do all of the work, then eats everyone's orgone including its unwitting servants. I'm not sure how that squares with Hana and Blume, but something is fishy about this whole situation.
"Planetary Gears"? What are you, twelve?! - Puck, episode 25.

Come to think of it, didn't Star Driver have exact same problem where it was established that protagonist can't lose a single fight or the story is over, thus robbing it of all tension? And now same team is doing it again.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Forgall posted:

Come to think of it, didn't Star Driver have exact same problem where it was established that protagonist can't lose a single fight or the story is over, thus robbing it of all tension? And now same team is doing it again.

It did, but now it's compounded by the fact that the Planetary Gears are only vaguely annoyed by defeat.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
With star driver it went beyond not being able to lose a fight, Takuto had to be largely invincible since they had no way to repair Tauburn so he only actually takes damage twice in the entire show. Still love Star Driver despite that mind you.

Daichi's lost pretty badly twice but he's had Teppei pull him out of the fire both times.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is a charming show, but the robot fights aren't terribly interesting. Earth Engine in particular is notable only for being able to take a beating.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Forgall posted:

In fairness, there's been an awful lot of kids shows where the protagonist has basically never lost a fight.

I'm not saying that the formula can't be screwed up of course, but it's hardly some unprecedented blunder that it's impossible to make a successful show from. With Star Driver the fact that Takuto was never going to lose bothered me less than the fact that the badguys were too numerous for the more interesting ones to get much spotlight. At least Captain Earth has a relatively small number of Planetary Gears so they can (hopefully) get their own story arcs.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 21, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

In fairness, there's been an awful lot of kids shows where the protagonist has basically never lost a fight.

I'm not saying that the formula can't be screwed up of course, but it's hardly some unprecedented blunder that it's impossible to make a successful show from. With Star Driver the fact that Takuto was never going to lose bothered me less than the fact that the badguys were too numerous for the more interesting ones to get much spotlight. At least Captain Earth has a relatively small number of Planetary Gears so they can (hopefully) get their own story arcs.

Though there are a couple who seem marked as cannon fodder - croupier-guy and idol-girl, for a start. Not sure which way they're going to jump on biker-girl.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I thought that Star Driver was helped out by the giant list of enemies - it helped sell how crazy the town was that basically everyone was in on the big secret plot. Admittedly you're right on the characterization front. Though, to be fair, other than Bugbear and Siren there really hasn't been much character development with the Planetary Gears. It's a pretty strict formula where they have a lovely life and something is missing - surprise kiss, giant robot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Finally got around to watching the last couple of episodes as catch-up.

Jesus christ, the people who write this show are absolutely allergic to actually explaining anything to the audience. Hana's little freakout followed by Daichi going "no it's cool I know who/what you are it's fine" is surreal as poo poo because they never bother to explain who/what she is to the audience and you're just kind of expected to have picked up on it by inference and conjecture.

Also the recent mech scenes have been super lazy and boring even though the designs are still rad as poo poo. :smith:

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I knew who Hana was the minute they showed Siren with one of those space squirrels.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

I knew who Hana was the minute they showed Siren with one of those space squirrels.

They're still quite ambiguous over it. Siren is Planetary Gear Royalty, but the Gears treat Hana quite differently and with open hostility(but seemingly still need her for something involving Blume). Teppei also mentions that Hana was created using material from Planetary Gear royalty, which suggests she's some kind of artificial being and/or different from the others.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The fact that she was a little kid the same time Daishi and Teppei were would bear that out, but she definitely has Planetary Gear powers, or some of them at least. I doubt she's immortal, but she used her singularity on the Blume, didn't she?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Muffinlord posted:

The fact that she was a little kid the same time Daishi and Teppei were would bear that out, but she definitely has Planetary Gear powers, or some of them at least. I doubt she's immortal, but she used her singularity on the Blume, didn't she?

They're also super vague as to what her singularity is. They imply very strongly that it's related to precognition, which would have nothing to do with activating Blume which would make that some other power she has.

Basically what I'm saying is the writing in this show is really scattershot and lovely and relies on the audience trying to string together conclusions from randomly scattered throwaway lines and inferences. It's really annoying.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Dammit Akari stop DOING that. You're cool when you're doing pretty much anything that isn't thrusting into people faces.

Team fight was pretty cool, the large amount of reused footage is irksome but Earth and Nebula back to back made up for it.

I was really not sold on the whole ark/intercept faction split before and even less so now that there's a concrete chance of them ending the threat rather than running away and leaving billions of people to die. Instead the ark faction just rolls their eyes at the prospect that they might not be able to kill all the poors indirectly.

Also, gently caress Amarok. Oh sure you're the true humans because you moved far enough along the tech ladder to defeat death, that instantly makes all younger civilizations than yours inherently inferior. I was under the impression that being immortal space vampires was in some way an intrinsic quality.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Wacky Japanese Teenagers versus Ayn Rand Acolytes: the anime?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This episode saw the return of the crazy cup on a laser string so this is the best episode in a while.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

I can't wait for all four of them to go up into space and transform for 8 minutes.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Widdiful posted:

I can't wait for all four of them to go up into space and transform for 8 minutes.

I really want to like this show. I REALLY really want to like it. Hell, I've been looking past the super vague and lovely writing in hopes they'll explain everything given time.

However, this is the one thing that bugs me the most. The first time Daichi shot up in the first episode and transformed? AWESOME!

But after the second, third or forth time? Also the second third or forth time being shot out of a ground based launcher? Come onnnnnn.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Runefaust posted:

I really want to like this show. I REALLY really want to like it. Hell, I've been looking past the super vague and lovely writing in hopes they'll explain everything given time.

However, this is the one thing that bugs me the most. The first time Daichi shot up in the first episode and transformed? AWESOME!

But after the second, third or forth time? Also the second third or forth time being shot out of a ground based launcher? Come onnnnnn.

Gotta save money by reusing the poo poo out of the transformation scene. That's one or two more minutes you don't have to animate! Score!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are so many characters with amazing abilities on this show, but somehow every single character ends up being kind of stupid. Even Puck has started to think with his dick.

However, I can't exactly blame the ark faction for sending out unmanned weapons even though one of the kiltgangs has a hacking singularity. After all, Nishikubo has kept that and every other fact they've learned about the kiltgangs secret.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 31, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is actually a really dumb show that probably will never get anywhere interesting, and I'm tempted to drop the poo poo out of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

This is actually a really dumb show that probably will never get anywhere interesting, and I'm tempted to drop the poo poo out of it.

But think about all that time you've already spent on it. It'll be wasted if you drop it now, for all you know these last ten or so episodes are gonna be fantastic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

But think about all that time you've already spent on it. It'll be wasted if you drop it now, for all you know these last ten or so episodes are gonna be fantastic.

That's a great example of the sunk cost fallacy in action.

Phobophilia posted:

I dropped the show at around episode 5 or so but I've been keeping my ears open. If I hear positive things after it ends then I'll pick it back up. I recommend doing the same!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

That's a great example of the sunk cost fallacy in action.
:thejoke:

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

There are so many characters with amazing abilities on this show, but somehow every single character ends up being kind of stupid. Even Puck has started to think with his dick.

Calling it now: Puck gets the School Megacorporation Days ending.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

This show is the kind of show that I would have absolutely dropped long ago if I were watching it all at once, but in bite sized weekly chunks I think it's worth it.

The robots are pretty rad.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
The robits are pretty cool but the real reason to watch this show is the new ending credits sequence. If only the whole show had that much style.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I love everything about the new ending sequence, the song especially owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

This show is the kind of show that I would have absolutely dropped long ago if I were watching it all at once, but in bite sized weekly chunks I think it's worth it.

The robots are pretty rad.

The robots are super rad but they don't really do that much and it's really disappointing.

• Locked thread