Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Redcrimson posted:

Can't it be both? There's like a 99% chance it's supposed to be a pun.

Sure, it's just a pet peeve when shows like this take some western phrase and then totally mangle it to the point where you wouldn't even know what they're trying to reference anymore. I feel like this happened (possibly multiple times) in Eureka 7 or Code Geass, where it wasn't until halfway through the show that subbers realized what some of the terms they were using were supposed to reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

The giant command screen at GLOBE shows it as Kill-T-Gang.

So does the official website.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And here I was thinking they were going all :scotland: on us with the terrifying menace of the Kilt Gang.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
So this show is pretty great. I don't think it's totally cooked yet, and there seems to be a lot of plotlines, but I'm excited. I've never watched a mecha anime all the way through, as it was airing, and the only anime I've ever done that with at all is Kill la Kill.

I'm officially 100% back into anime for the first time in 8+ years and it feels great.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neowyrm posted:

So this show is pretty great. I don't think it's totally cooked yet, and there seems to be a lot of plotlines, but I'm excited. I've never watched a mecha anime all the way through, as it was airing, and the only anime I've ever done that with at all is Kill la Kill.

I'm officially 100% back into anime for the first time in 8+ years and it feels great.

Give Jojo a go as well. Everything so far is on CR, and it's basically KLK with extra manservice and slightly less weird incest stuff.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Darth Walrus posted:

Give Jojo a go as well. Everything so far is on CR, and it's basically KLK with extra manservice and slightly less weird incest stuff.

Ah! You're actually not the first person to recommend Jojo to me. It looks completely ridiculous, and that's just my kind of thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neowyrm posted:

Ah! You're actually not the first person to recommend Jojo to me. It looks completely ridiculous, and that's just my kind of thing.

The ED for Part 3 is Walk Like An Egyptian. Sold yet?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That secret conspiracy is sparing no expense with its cardboard-cup-and-laser-string communication system.
Episode was alright though, the plot thins like they said it would and the star driver vibes are only getting stronger.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Artum posted:

That secret conspiracy is sparing no expense with its cardboard-cup-and-laser-string communication system.
Episode was alright though, the plot thins like they said it would and the star driver vibes are only getting stronger.

I had to pause the video and laugh a good minute at that scene.

Also, regarding the preview: it's only episode 4 and SEELE is already attacking NERV headquarters? :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haha, this is such a silly coming-of-age story/adolescent power fantasy story, yet somehow it's done well enough that I'm enjoying myself. When I grow up I want to be both an astronaut AND fly a giant robot AND hit on pretty girls. It's either not self-aware or completely self-aware and doesn't care at all.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This truly is Star Driver in space. I love it, it's so absurd. :allears:

I'm 100% on board now that there has been both robots powered by libido AND singing.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!

Artum posted:

It was amazing, only puck could have come up with this. I can only hope we will see other forms of communication soon.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

It was amazing, only puck could have come up with this. I can only hope we will see other forms of communication soon.

Boomerang telephone. I don't know why, but I want to see it happen now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

The best part was that it even sounded right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I really love how this-was-written-by-an-eight-year-old this is, all the way from the title to our protagonist breaking out his friends from a military facility so they can play on the beach with a boomerang to the eeevil bad guy contacting his eeevil superiors by paper-cup telephone. It's like Axe Cop gone anime.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Or a super robot anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

Or a super robot anime.

Eh, they're not usually so open about it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Obvious kid wish fulfillment is the rule with super robot animes, stuff like Big O is by far in the minority.
This show isn't that blatant either, the braves series which primarily about 10 year old kids and their squad of super robots who do as they say because they're so great, THAT is blatant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Artum posted:

Obvious kid wish fulfillment is the rule with super robot animes, stuff like Big O is by far in the minority.
This show isn't that blatant either, the braves series which primarily about 10 year old kids and their squad of super robots who do as they say because they're so great, THAT is blatant.

Braves I'll grant you. I mean, yeah, it is a story about your super-special robot buddies defeating evil with the contents of Dad's toybox. I guess I'm more used to written-by-an-angsty-teenager-trying-to-be-taken-seriously stuff like Escaflowne and Gundam, or weird-Uncle-Go-telling-bedroom-stories-until-your-mum-overhears-him-and-tells-him-to-leave stuff like Mazinger.

I get that much super-robot stuff is written for kids, but there's a difference between for kids and by kids, if you get me.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 20, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Episode 3 was fun, with some good 'comedy' moments, though I'm still not sure if the show's obsession with its cosmology and acronyms / metaphors is comedic or kind of obnoxious. There's a point where it becomes impossible to even keep track of half that poo poo. This isn't even a super robot thing, most super robot shows are pretty straight forward even when it comes to outlandish poo poo, its one of its typical charms really.

I hope Earth Engine actually does things soon, rather than showing up and just being ineffective for a million times. You can do that early on to some degree but after a point it becomes pretty boring when the titular mecha doesn't do poo poo.

The episode appears to confirm the fact that the bad Kilt-Gang duo work for the megacorporation + AI that wants to use it as an excuse to do the Ark Plan with Salty Dog, as well as that Teppei (and maybe Hana???) is also a Kilt-Gang duder. How any of this works and how/why exactly an alien force is invading Earth from Earth, on the other hand is something else.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
To be fair earth engines launched twice and one of them was essentially a 1 hit KO.

Definitely agree about Teppei and Hana being the real deal kiltgang people or whatever, hopefully they explain Blume under Tanegashima soon. Also its kind of weird that the designer kids set up the giant crystal spire on the moon and spent 9 whole years doing nothing with it, and if they haven't been sending the active machines for that time what the hell was globe doing to justify its existence?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Maybe I'm misunderstanding things but it looks like the Kil-t-gang's robot hanger is in some other dimension. The way the cubes are launched and appear through a portal makes it seem like they aren't already on the moon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im really digging the the mecha design in the series. They are massive and pretty stylish.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im really digging the the mecha design in the series. They are massive and pretty stylish.

Whenever I watched mecha shows I can't help but compare the heads of the mechas to Gundams. It seems to me to be really rare for a mecha head to look anywhere near as good as a Gundam, and so all I can ever see when looking at all these robots is how stupid their heads look.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Overlord K posted:

This truly is Star Driver in *realistic* space. I love it, it's so absurd. :allears:

I'm 100% on board now that there has been both robots powered by libido AND singing.

Ftfy
Wasn't Star Driver already in "space"?

The song by Hana was also totally SD in full form. Melody of Oblivion also had singing to power robots right? And RahXephon too?
Enokido loves him some singing robots. I'm not arguing, I like it too, but it's funny that it's in so many of his works.

For those talking about transformation sequences, I'm still not sure what to think. I haven't finished SD yet so I can't say if that had any relevance to Takt's transformation, but Utena used the stock footage to great effect, as it was a semi-parody/homage to Magical Girl stuff.

One thing I really appreciate about this show is how it does feel more like the world is a part of the story, and it's not just Japan doing it, even in a case when that wouldn't make sense. Sure, we've got super magical hacker girl who is somehow better than all security systems combined, but we've also got a fairly diverse team at the helm.

I am interested in the "Designer Children" line. Is that a hint that they may be non-humans or manufactured human beings?

e:^^ If your robot ain't wearin' a fancy hat, it ain't a robot worth pilotin'. :colbert:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Postal Parcel posted:

e:^^ If your robot ain't wearin' a fancy hat, it ain't a robot worth pilotin'. :colbert:

And the best part was that the feather on that hat was made of pure energy and would unfurl as he did the transformation sequence.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Captain Earth would be way better if it weren't so dramatic and cheesy about every little thing that happens. I know that's Enokido's style... but it doesn't work when there's almost nothing going on, beyond cryptic, vague implications that are aimed at fairly boring run-of-the-mill "plot twists" and story progression. Still, Captain Earth's robots are very pretty and cool as hell, so I'll continue watching. But it's simply alright and being held back considerably by its heavyhanded writing.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Killer Queen posted:

Captain Earth would be way better if it weren't so dramatic and cheesy about every little thing that happens. I know that's Enokido's style... but it doesn't work when there's almost nothing going on, beyond cryptic, vague implications that are aimed at fairly boring run-of-the-mill "plot twists" and story progression. Still, Captain Earth's robots are very pretty and cool as hell, so I'll continue watching. But it's simply alright and being held back considerably by its heavyhanded writing.

I'm actually loving how over-the-top dramatic and cheesy it is. I hope we get some stupid line about how the wind is happy/sad/tragic/courageous/good/bad/sorrowful/singing every episode, it's cracking me up.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope the wind gets so bad that it ends up drowning everything out to the point that half of the lines in the entire episode are "WHAT?"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm actually loving how over-the-top dramatic and cheesy it is. I hope we get some stupid line about how the wind is happy/sad/tragic/courageous/good/bad/sorrowful/singing every episode, it's cracking me up.

See, I like the cheesiness, but some of the crap veers dangerously into overly anime pretentious / precocious. For example, the whole HACKER = MAGICAL GIRL thing veered dangerously in 'oh wait they think this is actually endearing' territory for me.

We need more stuff like the idiotic Salty Dog goofiness, that poo poo slayed me.

Level Slide posted:

I hope the wind gets so bad that it ends up drowning everything out to the point that half of the lines in the entire episode are "WHAT?"

This on the other hand I would be totally down for.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I watched the first ep of this yesterday and I had the goofiest grin on my face when they launch a rocket with a small robot into space which then turns into a big robot in three stages.

I don't know if that's what the physics would require or whether it's to look cool or what but I loving loved it, more than made up for the slow build up.

Consider me sold.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
So if there are 3 components that merge with Earth Engine and there are three other kids besides Daichi does this mean that we'll eventually get to have a multipilot combiner super robot? I'm hoping yes.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Zorak posted:

See, I like the cheesiness, but some of the crap veers dangerously into overly anime pretentious / precocious. For example, the whole HACKER = MAGICAL GIRL thing veered dangerously in 'oh wait they think this is actually endearing' territory for me.

We need more stuff like the idiotic Salty Dog goofiness, that poo poo slayed me.

This on the other hand I would be totally down for.

If it's one of those, it'll probably be the former, but maybe the Magical Girl thing is this show's Prince.

Revolver Bunker posted:

So if there are 3 components that merge with Earth Engine and there are three other kids besides Daichi does this mean that we'll eventually get to have a multipilot combiner super robot? I'm hoping yes.

Teppei has a robot-libido, so I can only imagine what will happen for their possible 4-way combine.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Just marathoned the first three eps, Akari is the best thing. :allears: Also with all the libido/sex related stuff so far and the combining stuff, I'm almost hoping for some Aquarion shenanigans.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Episode 4 is out and Daichi is shounen as gently caress which never fails to entertain me.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This show is set on making sure nothing makes sense.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I believe I understand less about what is going on after the fourth episode than after the third. I thought I had a handle on who was what. I don't think so any more.

I was seriously worried that the crepes were going to be tainted in some fashion. That was my largest concern of the episode.

I will, however, willingly believe they can fit a full-sized robot in the trailer behind their traveling crepe kitchen.

Also, crepe sales is the obvious choice for alien military infiltration. Makes me wonder about the ice-cream sales vans that drive around my neighborhood in the summer time....

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wait, Teppei is supposed to be 17? Does that go for Daichi and Akari as well? Those are some childish rear end looking anime teens if that's the case. Usually it's the other way around.

That being said, I think it's probably a bad thing for this show that right now I like the Kilty Gang much more than the actual cast. Probably because while everyone else is running their mouths about FF13-y plot jargon babble and interorganization politics that we don't know enough about to care for, they actually make poo poo happen, even if they end up being chased off like Team Rocket every time.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

Wait, Teppei is supposed to be 17? Does that go for Daichi and Akari as well? Those are some childish rear end looking anime teens if that's the case. Usually it's the other way around.

Yeah, they're pretty drat tiny. I dunno if it's just that Star Driver had like nil adults in it, but I got the feeling it handled the HEY: THESE ARE TEENS better design wise. Not that it really matters at all.

e: watching this week's episode right now, I wonder if we're going to actually get poo poo like in the OP, explosion crazy fightin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
This week: bad guys don't know bout my wind.

• Locked thread