Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Forgall posted:

"Planetary Gears"? What are you, twelve?! - Puck, episode 25.

Come to think of it, didn't Star Driver have exact same problem where it was established that protagonist can't lose a single fight or the story is over, thus robbing it of all tension? And now same team is doing it again.

It did, but now it's compounded by the fact that the Planetary Gears are only vaguely annoyed by defeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I'm not saying that the formula can't be screwed up of course, but it's hardly some unprecedented blunder that it's impossible to make a successful show from. With Star Driver the fact that Takuto was never going to lose bothered me less than the fact that the badguys were too numerous for the more interesting ones to get much spotlight. At least Captain Earth has a relatively small number of Planetary Gears so they can (hopefully) get their own story arcs.

I thought that Star Driver was helped out by the giant list of enemies - it helped sell how crazy the town was that basically everyone was in on the big secret plot. Admittedly you're right on the characterization front. Though, to be fair, other than Bugbear and Siren there really hasn't been much character development with the Planetary Gears. It's a pretty strict formula where they have a lovely life and something is missing - surprise kiss, giant robot.

• Locked thread