Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've never watched Star Driver, but I have watched Gurren Lagann and the robot powered by Manhood/Orgones, and phallic imagery, and the little robot fitting inside the bigger robot makes me think of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well apparently the director comes out of the same pedigree as Sailor Moon and Utena so you're not far off!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ahem don't mind me I'm just gonna sit on my chair in my orgone box and meditate upon my energies with a smooth, rhythmic motion.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Redcrimson posted:

So, yeah. Daichi is suddenly given a "gun" that girls cannot "fire", has a "mind of its own", and compels him to "battle" libido-powered "aliens". If this show isn't about puberty, I will eat my FLCL BDs.

Considering the very tagline is about the end of childhood, yes, this is one barely veiled puberty metaphor.

Oh yeah and all the characters wear actual chastity belts around their heads this episode. That dude was basically a controlling father archetype.

And come on girl, let me show you my boomerang.

Edit: And the flower imagery right at the end. We're gonna zoom right in to the pistil and stamens.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 13, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

"Well sir, the assignment requires monitoring and safeguarding a group of teenagers whose powers could jeopardise the safety of Earth if misused. Now as a vast conspiracy of men and women in awesome black suits I'm sure we could acquire the services of an officer with an abundant knowledge of child psychology or extensive experience working with troubled young people, but frankly the job's a pisser so I say we just lump it on Officer Douchenozzle who everybody hates cause he's a petty, controlling rear end in a top hat with all the interpersonal skills of a rabid moonbat, because gently caress that guy."

Show seems okay for now, and I liked Star Driver even if I would have liked it to go in a slightly different direction and think it could have used a less large cast. So I'm going to give Captain Earth a watch.

These are not realistic characters nor organisations, everyone talks in cryptic jargon, the whole point is to make him a creepy controlling father archetype who tries to control the sexuality of others. Just as a giant robot organisation is not going to give some random kid a giant robot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sometimes a boomerang is just a boomerang.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haha, this is such a silly coming-of-age story/adolescent power fantasy story, yet somehow it's done well enough that I'm enjoying myself. When I grow up I want to be both an astronaut AND fly a giant robot AND hit on pretty girls. It's either not self-aware or completely self-aware and doesn't care at all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was a totally different episode. The commander's plan was dumb as hell, but everything else was great, especially Teppei's dad. All his characterisation was done via sparse words and a quiet menace, and it was enough to make him perfectly likable.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Eiji's a great dad, he's just completely unreadable until it's too late and you realise how much he cares.

Also, I'm convinces that Teppei's symbol on his palm is a countdown on how many "uses" of his gear form he has until he bites it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darth Walrus posted:

I think this is close, but the plan wasn't for Eiji's sake. It was for Teppei's. The guy is still having a hard time adjusting to the whole Kiltgang thing, even with the help of his friends, so this was a way to help him reconnect to humanity. That actually justifies the complexity and riskiness of the plan - they absolutely cannot afford the Ark Faction getting a third Kiltgang, so keeping Teppei sweet is worth just about anything.

I agree that was the thematic reason for it, it was just that the plan was so wild and half-assed that it feeled like the producers were just loving with us.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Teppei's Kiltgang literally manifested within the earth's defence zone, so idkwtfigo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm relatively sure CEO dude is also planning on backstabbing Blue and Pink. He was so friendly it was suspicious. And he's had better practice at this kind of game than a bunch of alien kids.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure Puck says that he is subservient to absolutely everyone.

Then again, the CEO heads Macbeth enterprises. Does that make the CEO Duncan, or the designer children Duncan?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was a decent episode, it's like the best ones focus on a completely new character and their story. Well, this new character isn't quite as interesting as Teppei's dad, but you can't win them all.

So when it boils down to it, is this show really about saving the planet from disaffected youths who'd been exploited for some bizarre and nonsensical reason in the past?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haven't read any side material, but Zin's beef is that he feels exploited by others, like what happened with his old friend, or that mob boss.

As soon as he gets his own agency, he goes on a rampage.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
maybe its a metaphor for half an hour of foreplay and blowing your load a minute in

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Worst girls do as the kidnappers say. Best girls play chicken with nukes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this is anime your plan is terrible

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Captain Earth is so much better at his job on Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is actually a really dumb show that probably will never get anywhere interesting, and I'm tempted to drop the poo poo out of it.

• Locked thread