Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
I don't really think they're cursed so much as they're really, really inconsistent.

Eureka Seven, for instance, was good! But it dragged somewhere around at several points, and while the complete package was good, it had enough to going against it to keep from truly legendary status.

The sequel has generally been poor across the board then, not to mention Actually unfinished, unless the last two episodes aired at some point when I wasn't looking.

Star Driver was a trip, but also had a kind of blah ending, and was pretty much Giant Robot of the Week for most of the series.

Watching something from Studio Bones is like a game of roulette. Everything may go perfectly fine and you'll get a nice spot of entertainment! Or you'll get a boring piece of poo poo that nobody remembers a year from now because it was so forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Huh, so the reason that they absolutely can't afford to have the Kiltgang reach Earth is because They can pull a Samekh on it at that range. And the crazy moon-base was Created from the few dozen people who were over there when they first showed up.

That kind of does put the whole "Welp, we're hosed" outlook that everyone has into perspective. Though the Earth Engine's so far shown itself to Barely match a single Kiltgang who's dicking around, let alone two who are treating it with a modicum of seriousness. That the Intercept Faction seems to be treated like a joke by everyone does make more sense in light of that.

Though next episode apparently shows "A Ray of Hope?"

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Kanos posted:

This "old people not having respect for the young" thing would have been a lot more poignant and make a lot more sense if they had placed it at the beginning of the series before everyone on the Midsummer's Knights became a proven hardened combat veteran with multiple Kiltgang kills under their belt. Having Salty Dog treat them like idiot children who can be easily manipulated at this point just paints the organization as stupid as hell rather than dismissive and disrespectful.

Placing this stuff earlier in the series would help the pacing a whole shitload too because we're currently ping-ponging between "Let's go fight world-ending alien invaders" and "Let's deal with inter-office politics and idiots in black suits" so fast it's going to cause whiplash.

Except they did? I'm pretty sure the first seven or eight episodes were all about "Salty Dog and the rest of the Ark Faction sabotaging them because "There's no way that kids can solve this problem" "

Of course, the fact that they're doubling down despite the fact that the Midsummer's Knights are actually doing a fine job holding the line and have a pretty reasonable chance of success is kind of odd. Makes me wonder How they're so convinced that the Intercept Faction is a bunch of fuckups when they're pretty consistently getting poo poo done. And what it is they know that makes it a good idea to actively sabotage the defense of the earth-especially since there's gently caress-all that conventional Impactors can do to stop a Kiltgang, and they'll hardly have enough time to blast off into space in their space bunkers once they're convinced that defeat is imminent.

Then again, maybe they're just stupid dicks who work against their own interest to give a conventional villain. Depends how Saturday Morning Cartoon the morality here is, and that's not going to be clear until the ending.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

Sindai posted:

Wait, who was the blue-haired girl who showed up at the very end? I remember seeing her before but not when. Has she just been chilling in the background the whole time? I guess that means she has something to do with the livlasters, since they keep saying they're also living aliens but never went anywhere with that.

Also I still haven't the slightest idea what "neoteny" is supposed to mean.

"Neoteny" is a term for "An adult that retains aspects of it's juvenile state". Or something along those lines. In this case, it's Probably from the perspective of the Planetary Gears as "Someone who can use Orgonne like us, but still has the body of a fleshling"

Blue-haired girl is pretty strongly implied to be an anthropromorphic personification of the Livlasters. She usually shows up or you hear her little "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" bit from her recorder right before someone gains a Livlaster, or is about to do something crazy with one.

• Locked thread