Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I really liked (what I've seen so far of) Star Driver and really liked the first episode of this. Good shows with interesting themes to them, SD has got a lot of criticism but I'm yet to really see if it deserves it so far from the show. People talking so lovingly about the transformation sequence is cool - it's like a veritable orgy of symbolism. It reminds me a lot of Captain Planet (by our powers combined...) only way more sexual. Got to finish SD now so I can compare the two better.

e:

OnimaruXLR posted:

Although I will say, the mysterious singing in this one SUCKS by comparison.
The singing was canon in SD. It remains to be seen if that's the case here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I can only assume the show may go downhill in episode two when it decides to explain everything, but I really enjoyed the incredibly densely-packed story and character we got this episode without needing to slow down and tell me why there are giant robots or what the space gun is.

Good mecha stuff either dispenses with needless exposition and lets the viewer pick it up as they go through good execution, or dismisses stuff that people will be familiar with if they have even a passing interest in the genre - Star Driver turned this into a big joke by having Takuto refer to conversations with his grandfather we never witnessed, but which were obviously big deals to him. Some stuff, like Shin Mazinger Zero, actively does a thing with the fact that at this point these stories are full of trite bullshit that doesn't need to be explained because the reader already knows it. Kouji-kun is trapped in a cyclical existential nightmare and it rules. Shin Mazinger Z explicitly begins after the end of the final episode in a blasted impossible hellscape, then goes back to try and figure out how the hell things got so messed up. It's a neverending cycle of pain and destruction that only has a 'good ending' if you watch literally the first scene of episode one and then turn the show off at 'HAPPY END' and never touch the series again. It's a massive joke at the expense of the viewer, a-la the Dark Tower series. "Here's your ending. Oh, you want more? WELL NOW YOU'RE hosed!"

• Locked thread