Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

Good mecha stuff either dispenses with needless exposition and lets the viewer pick it up as they go through good execution, or dismisses stuff that people will be familiar with if they have even a passing interest in the genre - Star Driver turned this into a big joke by having Takuto refer to conversations with his grandfather we never witnessed, but which were obviously big deals to him. Some stuff, like Shin Mazinger Zero, actively does a thing with the fact that at this point these stories are full of trite bullshit that doesn't need to be explained because the reader already knows it. Kouji-kun is trapped in a cyclical existential nightmare and it rules. Shin Mazinger Z explicitly begins after the end of the final episode in a blasted impossible hellscape, then goes back to try and figure out how the hell things got so messed up. It's a neverending cycle of pain and destruction that only has a 'good ending' if you watch literally the first scene of episode one and then turn the show off at 'HAPPY END' and never touch the series again. It's a massive joke at the expense of the viewer, a-la the Dark Tower series. "Here's your ending. Oh, you want more? WELL NOW YOU'RE hosed!"

In fact, Star Driver basically had a scene (in the school play episode) that flat out stated something similar. The series villain told the president of the school's drama club that the only reason the story had a happy ending was because it stopped right at the point that you could hope everything would work out for the best, even if the more likely path (in his view) was that everything would go to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

So that creepy guy who "oversees" Hana sure is transparently creepy to the point of cartoon villainy. Not that subtlety is this creative team's strength but... sheesh. If he doesn't prove to serve some sort of valuable purpose to the organization in 2-3 episodes I'm going to have a constant scream of "WHY DO THEY KEEP THIS rear end in a top hat AROUND?" in the back of my head.

"Well sir, the assignment requires monitoring and safeguarding a group of teenagers whose powers could jeopardise the safety of Earth if misused. Now as a vast conspiracy of men and women in awesome black suits I'm sure we could acquire the services of an officer with an abundant knowledge of child psychology or extensive experience working with troubled young people, but frankly the job's a pisser so I say we just lump it on Officer Douchenozzle who everybody hates cause he's a petty, controlling rear end in a top hat with all the interpersonal skills of a rabid moonbat, because gently caress that guy."

Show seems okay for now, and I liked Star Driver even if I would have liked it to go in a slightly different direction and think it could have used a less large cast. So I'm going to give Captain Earth a watch.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 13, 2014

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Oh I know. I just think it's funny. I loved the over-the-topness of Star Driver too.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Forgall posted:

"Planetary Gears"? What are you, twelve?! - Puck, episode 25.

Come to think of it, didn't Star Driver have exact same problem where it was established that protagonist can't lose a single fight or the story is over, thus robbing it of all tension? And now same team is doing it again.

In fairness, there's been an awful lot of kids shows where the protagonist has basically never lost a fight.

I'm not saying that the formula can't be screwed up of course, but it's hardly some unprecedented blunder that it's impossible to make a successful show from. With Star Driver the fact that Takuto was never going to lose bothered me less than the fact that the badguys were too numerous for the more interesting ones to get much spotlight. At least Captain Earth has a relatively small number of Planetary Gears so they can (hopefully) get their own story arcs.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 21, 2014

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Holy poo poo, the mobile armor this episode loving ruled! :hellyeah:

Calling it now, at some point Puck is going to hijack an upgraded version of that thing for a proper human vs AI final boss throwdown.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Astro Nut posted:

Though... I feel like the twist with Puck is just gonna end up used as an excuse to let the Kiltgang off easy for all the stuff they've done by making them into technical good guys for the final fight.

Shades of Star Driver there, unsurprisingly. Although to be fair to Star Driver most of the Glittering Crux weren't anywhere near as nasty as the Kiltgang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The show feels like one which didn't have enough episodes to flesh out all the ideas it wanted... except that two cours is pretty much the standard allotment of episodes that anything which doesn't have major backing or massive success gets so they must have known that was what they had to work with. Baffling.

I mean given how Star Driver ended I can appreciate that some elements of this are probably deliberate, I mean Enokido clearly has a thing about leaving stories with deliberate loose ends that are open to interpretation, but there's the Japanese artistic appreciation of impermanence and then there's just not making the effort to tell an interesting story and needlessly obfuscating simple concepts.

• Locked thread