Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And here I was thinking they were going all :scotland: on us with the terrifying menace of the Kilt Gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neowyrm posted:

So this show is pretty great. I don't think it's totally cooked yet, and there seems to be a lot of plotlines, but I'm excited. I've never watched a mecha anime all the way through, as it was airing, and the only anime I've ever done that with at all is Kill la Kill.

I'm officially 100% back into anime for the first time in 8+ years and it feels great.

Give Jojo a go as well. Everything so far is on CR, and it's basically KLK with extra manservice and slightly less weird incest stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neowyrm posted:

Ah! You're actually not the first person to recommend Jojo to me. It looks completely ridiculous, and that's just my kind of thing.

The ED for Part 3 is Walk Like An Egyptian. Sold yet?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I really love how this-was-written-by-an-eight-year-old this is, all the way from the title to our protagonist breaking out his friends from a military facility so they can play on the beach with a boomerang to the eeevil bad guy contacting his eeevil superiors by paper-cup telephone. It's like Axe Cop gone anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

Or a super robot anime.

Eh, they're not usually so open about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Artum posted:

Obvious kid wish fulfillment is the rule with super robot animes, stuff like Big O is by far in the minority.
This show isn't that blatant either, the braves series which primarily about 10 year old kids and their squad of super robots who do as they say because they're so great, THAT is blatant.

Braves I'll grant you. I mean, yeah, it is a story about your super-special robot buddies defeating evil with the contents of Dad's toybox. I guess I'm more used to written-by-an-angsty-teenager-trying-to-be-taken-seriously stuff like Escaflowne and Gundam, or weird-Uncle-Go-telling-bedroom-stories-until-your-mum-overhears-him-and-tells-him-to-leave stuff like Mazinger.

I get that much super-robot stuff is written for kids, but there's a difference between for kids and by kids, if you get me.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 20, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

And a lot of people are saying that Akari's dad plan was dumb, I dont really think it that way. It was actually pretty genius in the "written by an 8 year old" way. The intent was never to get the guy out. He knew that the guy was basically L-Elf so the moment he was woken up he'd get himself out, regardless of who did it. It was just an extremely contrived way of getting the guy to see his son and have his daughter see her mom at the same time.

I think this is close, but the plan wasn't for Eiji's sake. It was for Teppei's. The guy is still having a hard time adjusting to the whole Kiltgang thing, even with the help of his friends, so this was a way to help him reconnect to humanity. That actually justifies the complexity and riskiness of the plan - they absolutely cannot afford the Ark Faction getting a third Kiltgang, so keeping Teppei sweet is worth just about anything.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

So the Kiltgang want to feed on humanity's libido, and the various Earth factions can't agree on what's the best way to handle the threat. Would that sum up what's going on so far?

Sort of, except that the reason they can't agree is that the Ark faction, backed by Macbeth, appears to be causing the crisis in the first place in order to justify their giant eugenics exercise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the other thing is that all Kiltgangs are summonable from that big base on the moon (including Teppei's), so GLOBE's job is to prevent them from getting from there to here. You can't just summon one directly next to you and go 'lol I win'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ethiser posted:

The character at the end of this week's preview looks like he stole his clothes from the Star Driver wardrobe department.

Also the computer turned out to be evil who would have guessed.

It was always evil. The only thing that's changed is the particular flavour of evil.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

So, if I'm clear on this, the designer children are artifically created host bodies for Kiltgang intelligences residing somewhere around Jupiter in their big fancy ship that's out of juice.

How the gently caress does Teppei self-identify as a human if his body is a shell for a Kiltgang?

Because he was raised human (for a given value of 'raised'), spends most of his time in a human body, and prefers humans to the Kiltgang?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

He was raised in a locked camp by people who did things like attach shock collars to his head. They even make a big deal over the fact that once Daichi arrives and blows up the transmitter the base commander is like "Man I should have let you guys leave the building a long time ago".

Thus the 'for a given value'. Despite this, he still seemed to be under the assumption that he was human-but-weird right up until he manifested Albion. e honestly seemed pretty surprised about the whole 'actually Galactus' thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

So Hana was pretty much 'No I'm a monster and you'll hate me because I can shoot a giant laser from my spaceship to save the world'

Come on Daichi the first thing you should've said when she did that is 'Whoa that was pretty awesome'.

She did make it fairly clear that she believes he'll hate her because it's supposed to be her job to kill him and she kinda-sorta-almost wants to. Which is generally kind of a dealbreaker. I think everyone knows by now that Daichi is cool with freaky space aliens who don't want to kill him.

Odds on the Blume being this show's version of Samekh from Star Driver?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On this episode, it's interesting that despite Hana spending well over half the show being totally demure, passive, and sweet-natured, her Engine and Livlaster are totally geared towards offence. I mean, the Flare Engine seems to be loaded up with all of the guns ever, and whilst, say, Teppei's magic penis-gun can create a shield to protect his friends, Hana's will loving hunt you down.

Also, jesus christ Puck :stonk:. I mean, everyone and their pet alien squirrel knew some form of that twist was coming, but I doubt many of us expected things to get that freaky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Artum posted:

Nice to see Hana continue to get more agency, doesn't quite make up for the first half of the series yet but its a start.

Really not sure how the whole puck thing works if he's both the computer and the rewritten Kube at the same time.

A computer can run the same programs on multiple platforms, and Puck seems to be built with hyper-advanced Planetary Gear tech. The body is basically an avatar for his big ol' robot brain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I was thinking, though - they're drawing heavily on the Midsummer's Night Dream parallels, and in that, Puck was a loyal agent of Oberon in a low-key fairy civil war. What if the Planetary Gears' mothership has its own agenda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

In fairness, there's been an awful lot of kids shows where the protagonist has basically never lost a fight.

I'm not saying that the formula can't be screwed up of course, but it's hardly some unprecedented blunder that it's impossible to make a successful show from. With Star Driver the fact that Takuto was never going to lose bothered me less than the fact that the badguys were too numerous for the more interesting ones to get much spotlight. At least Captain Earth has a relatively small number of Planetary Gears so they can (hopefully) get their own story arcs.

Though there are a couple who seem marked as cannon fodder - croupier-guy and idol-girl, for a start. Not sure which way they're going to jump on biker-girl.

• Locked thread