Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
A medium sized mecha is the smallest part of the machine...
How loving big is that robot.:stare:

Serious star driver vibes off that whole sequence with the pink haired girl's mecha too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I'd only just marathoned Star Driver two weeks back so its going to be interesting going straight from that to this.

Having watched the assembly sequence more times than I care to admit, soaking in all the little details, I REALLY hope they dont use the full thing quite as often as they did Tauburn's entrance. Yes it's extremely cool but at a point its clear they're doing it to save money, not because its cool.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The fact that the kill-t-gang machine was powered by libido and its groin was a hollow containing an energy pellet thing makes me slightly more like to buy into people talking about sexual themes in something, for once.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That secret conspiracy is sparing no expense with its cardboard-cup-and-laser-string communication system.
Episode was alright though, the plot thins like they said it would and the star driver vibes are only getting stronger.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Obvious kid wish fulfillment is the rule with super robot animes, stuff like Big O is by far in the minority.
This show isn't that blatant either, the braves series which primarily about 10 year old kids and their squad of super robots who do as they say because they're so great, THAT is blatant.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
To be fair earth engines launched twice and one of them was essentially a 1 hit KO.

Definitely agree about Teppei and Hana being the real deal kiltgang people or whatever, hopefully they explain Blume under Tanegashima soon. Also its kind of weird that the designer kids set up the giant crystal spire on the moon and spent 9 whole years doing nothing with it, and if they haven't been sending the active machines for that time what the hell was globe doing to justify its existence?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

chumbler posted:

I don't know how they plan to get into Super Robot Wars if it almost never fights anything or just gets its rear end kicked when it does.

Boss would like a word with you.

Episode was alright, puck/P.A.C betraying the ceo was a given. Not particularly clear on whose standing where in that double cross since the ceo knows they're trying to space-vamp everyone and is counting on it.

Hopefully its back to scheduled robot punching beyond just next week.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
More of that please, calling a group the Midsummer's Knights and blowing something up to give you enough velocity to punch something to death is the kind of fun I could do with more of.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Arguably nothing is as fabulous as star driver (no, not even jojo) so its probably not that or every show would turn to ash in your mouth.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Odds are pretty short, everythings pointing to them using it to take the fight to the kiltgang ship on the edge of the system.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
We totally do? Its pretty explicitly the livlaster. They mentioned a while back a while back that it has its own intelligence and the last two times someones gained the use of one its been heard playing twinkle twinkle little star on a recorder just like when it approached Daichi. Plus, you know, there's that shot in the first opening where the little blue haired kid actually turns into Daichi's livlaster.

Episode was extremely rad anyway, it's nice to see Hana moving beyond being the naive fanservice alien girl. Had a huge grin on my face for those last 5 minutes of the episode.

Its great that the shows actually going somewhere now, but they really should/could have gotten here like 3 or 4 episodes earlier.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Nice to see Hana continue to get more agency, doesn't quite make up for the first half of the series yet but its a start.

Really not sure how the whole puck thing works if he's both the computer and the rewritten Kube at the same time.

Seems like atleast half of the planetary gears are on track to become good guys at the end what with how puck is so obviously the true villain.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Puck was using the Install system, he literally copied over Kube's mind.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Not gonna lie guys, I'm gonna be REALLY narked off if bugbear doesn't dramatically change sides what with there being a 2 parter dedicated to showing how hes not a complete psychopath like amarok and malkin.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
There was the stuff between him and Seiren/Setsuna in the most recent episode but that's about it. That's why I'd be narked off: the show already has pacing issues and if they don't touch on it in a big way then they wasted 2 episodes.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Oddly I get the feeling Seiren does too, was surprising that she misses her space squirrel.

Malkin and Amarok have been awake since they were 7 or whatever so they've spent the majority of their time as space-vampire-supremacists, Zimbalt and Aiatar both had lovely lives so they really don't seem like they'd turn coat. The rest seem to have enough of a buffer of a normal-ish life to distance them all the kiltgang rhetoric a little.

That'd set up for a neat 4v4 if not for Daichi and Hana.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Shaezerus posted:

Speaking of which holy poo poo the Earth Engine Impacter needs to do something soon. Rolling out auxiliary Impacter robots is cool and all but last time we saw it in action was nearly ten episodes ago.

The new opening seems to be telegraphing pretty hard that Daichi's going to be getting his shining finger/punch on at some point soon, which is kinda needed what with his team being space-knight teppei and precog-Guncannon Hana.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
With star driver it went beyond not being able to lose a fight, Takuto had to be largely invincible since they had no way to repair Tauburn so he only actually takes damage twice in the entire show. Still love Star Driver despite that mind you.

Daichi's lost pretty badly twice but he's had Teppei pull him out of the fire both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Dammit Akari stop DOING that. You're cool when you're doing pretty much anything that isn't thrusting into people faces.

Team fight was pretty cool, the large amount of reused footage is irksome but Earth and Nebula back to back made up for it.

I was really not sold on the whole ark/intercept faction split before and even less so now that there's a concrete chance of them ending the threat rather than running away and leaving billions of people to die. Instead the ark faction just rolls their eyes at the prospect that they might not be able to kill all the poors indirectly.

Also, gently caress Amarok. Oh sure you're the true humans because you moved far enough along the tech ladder to defeat death, that instantly makes all younger civilizations than yours inherently inferior. I was under the impression that being immortal space vampires was in some way an intrinsic quality.

• Locked thread