Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
For me, Bones is VERY hit or miss.

Gosick I quit after 5 episodes because, as a detective mystery, it was utter poo poo, and I really like detective mysteries. Bit I did really like Un-Go, which was made later that year. Eureka Seven I thought was pretty good, but X'amd was just plain bad (though fun to watch because of the great animation), and E7:AO doesn't deserve to exist. I though Blast of Tempest owned for the most part, but Noragami ended up feeling kind of bland. And then there's Wolf's Rain, about which I still have no idea what to think. It had great writing, animation, direction, music, art, etc. but the story was just so :psyduck:.

e: VV Like I said, Blast of Tempest owned. :colbert:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

I'm not quite sure of most of what's going on in this show as of yet, but it was:

1. Star Driver as gently caress. I would not be surprised if this ended up being in the same universe or whatever.
2. Gorgeous. Like this show looks sick nasty good, way better than Star Driver even.
3. A proper super robot show. Like this has a feel of a 70s/80s super robot show.

And I am down with those. The character writing thus far has been pretty good as well (as to be expected), I look forward to watching this.

If I'm understanding the setting humanity is in contact with these aliens from Uranus called the Kill-T Gang, whom occasionally engage the Earth. If they make it to Earth, something terrible will happen. Apparently some of the Kill-T Gang work for humanity and helped boost our technology to engage them? Everyone with weird hair colors looks like they're either Kill-T Gang or Kill-T Gang clones. It looks like the only approach humanity has is to destroy them before they reach Earth, though an opposing world government faction wants to build an ark to escape instead?

The thing I don't understand is that it looks like the baddy Kill-T Gang folks were hanging with humans too? Is it ALL an inside job? HMMM.

I'm intrigued, they've set up a lot of weird questions but seem to know what they're doing with them.

Pretty much my impression, though I haven't watched Star Driver. I summed it up to :tviv:.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

That's less a "super robot" thing and more the writer's style. "Here are a bunch of things you don't understand at first. This will make sense with time." The setting is itself a mystery.

The writer has more of a background in magical girl stuff anyway.

One of the transition screens had "Eveything will be obvious soon." on it, so they're making that intention pretty clear.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm getting a weird a weird vibe of Star Driver x Robotics;Notes from this show, although that might just be the usage of the Tanegashima space center. And the bizarro hacker girl. And the kind-of-aimless-slacker-but-not-really protagonist.

Oh, that's what the hacker girl reminded me of. She felt familiar, but I couldn't place it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

planetarial posted:

R;N I honestly think is mediocre with a bad ending. Though I am biased because its suppose to be the third entry in the Science Adventure series, after Steins;Gate (which was amazing).

R;N wasn't too good, but it had a lot of the charm of Steins;Gate so I still liked it a bit anyway. Worth watching once, I suppose.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak posted:

Orgone energy is a thing from the 1930s, they literally thought orgasmic cosmic energies could be channeled.

It's more amusing that they thought that was a real thing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That guy seems rather intent on reading sexual imagery out of all that, but regardless it was a pretty good analysis.

e: There's nothing particularly phallic about this show yet. There is a bit of sexual imagery with the whole powered by libido thing, but overall not really, yet.

It just annoys me when people are dead set on read penises and sexual imagery out of every random detail of a story. English professors especially. Thankfully, my high school english teachers weren't like that, but they were also poo poo at teaching.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 12, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Good_Haro posted:

This is Enokido, man. If you're familiar with any of his other work, that's kind of his shtick. Star Driver would have probably been a lot more overt about some of its sexual themes if they hadn't ended up in a family-friendly timeslot late-ish in the game (that said, they still got a bunch complaints from parents about the kiss-through-the-glass stuff).

I don't know anything about Enokido or his style/quirks, so I'm calling as it looks to me without that bias. Maybe there'll be more of it later on, but I didn't see anything overly like sexual imagery except the libido thing and arguably that ridiculous transformation sequence.

e: Seeing that transformation sequence a second time, it seems a lot more suggestive.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 12, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, when you put it that way...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sir PigglyWiggly posted:

It was amazing, only puck could have come up with this. I can only hope we will see other forms of communication soon.

Boomerang telephone. I don't know why, but I want to see it happen now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This show is set on making sure nothing makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The commander's plan was dumb, the dad wasn't interesting at all, and the show continues to actively make sure I have no idea what the gently caress is going on. I think I'm out, I'ave had enough of this.

• Locked thread