Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm looking forward to this. The lead mecha's design is cool, and if the ride is as enjoyable as Star Driver's ended up being, hey: I'm down for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Sort of bizarre to announce something a half an hour before it's up :geno: What are they, Japan?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Episode 1 is live

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm not quite sure of most of what's going on in this show as of yet, but it was:

1. Star Driver as gently caress. I would not be surprised if this ended up being in the same universe or whatever.
2. Gorgeous. Like this show looks sick nasty good, way better than Star Driver even.
3. A proper super robot show. Like this has a feel of a 70s/80s super robot show.

And I am down with those. The character writing thus far has been pretty good as well (as to be expected), I look forward to watching this.

If I'm understanding the setting humanity is in contact with these aliens from Uranus called the Kill-T Gang, whom occasionally engage the Earth. If they make it to Earth, something terrible will happen. Apparently some of the Kill-T Gang work for humanity and helped boost our technology to engage them? Everyone with weird hair colors looks like they're either Kill-T Gang or Kill-T Gang clones. It looks like the only approach humanity has is to destroy them before they reach Earth, though an opposing world government faction wants to build an ark to escape instead?

The thing I don't understand is that it looks like the baddy Kill-T Gang folks were hanging with humans too? Is it ALL an inside job? HMMM.

I'm intrigued, they've set up a lot of weird questions but seem to know what they're doing with them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
That's less a "super robot" thing and more the writer's style. "Here are a bunch of things you don't understand at first. This will make sense with time." The setting is itself a mystery to be solved.

The writer has more of a background in magical girl stuff anyway.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 5, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
In general I liked the writing for Daichi, you get a feel for his general angst to some degree.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rodyle posted:

Yeah that was just a slightly more serious Star Driver. I can't believe they brought back libido.

Orgone energy is a thing from the 1930s, they literally thought orgasmic cosmic energies could be channeled.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

It's more amusing that they thought that was a real thing.

Quite a lot of people bought into it. Famous people like William S. Boroughs, JD Salinger, Jack Kerouac, others. It was basically Wilhelm Reich combining the Freudian school of psychiatry with modern atomic theory and a fair dose of early new age spiritualism. He theorized that there was fundamental Orgone particles that were generated and consumed by living things, and that human ailments arose due to bad proportions of them. Said ailments could be cured by going into a Orgone energy accumulator:

Also known as "A metal box with a chair"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Here's some interesting analysis of some scenes / imagery from the first episode, particularly when compared to some similar imagery in Ikuhara's works. This sort of stuff is why I dig Igarashi, Enokido, and also Ikuhara.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

"Opening with the more phallic rocket launch sequence" What, Japan's H-IIB rocket? (More or less) It's an interesting read, but I feel the author's stretching on the sexual themes. Then again, they might be going the Star Driver route with libido powered robots, so who knows? :shrug:

Death of the Author etc, analysis of fiction doesn't need to coincide necessarily with author's intent or "this is the literal truth of the imagery".

Also given that everything is powered by Orgone Energy, sexual imagery isn't really inaccurate you know??

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Captain Earth episode 2 is up

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It was an interesting episode. I'm still not sure If the Kill-T Gang are an outside force or not; it looks like the engineered humans that Ominous Mega-corporation are using are Kill-T Gang. Maybe the kids that GLOBE or whatever are using are as well, and it's just a matter of their opposing goals? The Ark faction wants to instigate an early assault by the Kill-T Gang using their own artificial Kill-T Gang kids so that they can save their "selected" humanity, while the space agency guys are using their own Kill-T Gang kids + Daichi to prevent the invasion, not knowing that it's being instigated from the Earth itself.

HMMM.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Episode 3 was fun, with some good 'comedy' moments, though I'm still not sure if the show's obsession with its cosmology and acronyms / metaphors is comedic or kind of obnoxious. There's a point where it becomes impossible to even keep track of half that poo poo. This isn't even a super robot thing, most super robot shows are pretty straight forward even when it comes to outlandish poo poo, its one of its typical charms really.

I hope Earth Engine actually does things soon, rather than showing up and just being ineffective for a million times. You can do that early on to some degree but after a point it becomes pretty boring when the titular mecha doesn't do poo poo.

The episode appears to confirm the fact that the bad Kilt-Gang duo work for the megacorporation + AI that wants to use it as an excuse to do the Ark Plan with Salty Dog, as well as that Teppei (and maybe Hana???) is also a Kilt-Gang duder. How any of this works and how/why exactly an alien force is invading Earth from Earth, on the other hand is something else.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm actually loving how over-the-top dramatic and cheesy it is. I hope we get some stupid line about how the wind is happy/sad/tragic/courageous/good/bad/sorrowful/singing every episode, it's cracking me up.

See, I like the cheesiness, but some of the crap veers dangerously into overly anime pretentious / precocious. For example, the whole HACKER = MAGICAL GIRL thing veered dangerously in 'oh wait they think this is actually endearing' territory for me.

We need more stuff like the idiotic Salty Dog goofiness, that poo poo slayed me.

Level Slide posted:

I hope the wind gets so bad that it ends up drowning everything out to the point that half of the lines in the entire episode are "WHAT?"

This on the other hand I would be totally down for.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

Wait, Teppei is supposed to be 17? Does that go for Daichi and Akari as well? Those are some childish rear end looking anime teens if that's the case. Usually it's the other way around.

Yeah, they're pretty drat tiny. I dunno if it's just that Star Driver had like nil adults in it, but I got the feeling it handled the HEY: THESE ARE TEENS better design wise. Not that it really matters at all.

e: watching this week's episode right now, I wonder if we're going to actually get poo poo like in the OP, explosion crazy fightin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hmmm gotta admit, I'm feeling pretty down on this series at the moment. Thus far in like the first 1/6 of the show not all that much has happened and we've not learned especially much, while they've devoted a lot of emotional angst to stuff we have no particular investment or comprehension of. Meanwhile, they've had a lot of asides that felt kind of pointless and stupid.

I mean, take this episode spending so much time on oh no Teppei can control the robot and is a Kilt Gang. Since we don't know what the gently caress that even means, it's hard for us to be particular "gasp" or "oh i get why these shmucks are waffling about it like it's a big deal". In some other mecha series it'd just be "oh I guess he's an ally, that's cool, glad he's on our side" or at least reaffirm why this is a Big Deal, but the anime is so full of being mysterious and obfuscating what's going on even for the most mundane that it fails to make much in the way of an emotional connection to what's going on.

I mean, ultimately the interactions between Daichi and Teppei remain the most relate-able and best written if only because we know what the gently caress is going on since it's just "oh they're friends"

Even the whole base assault angle seems way too early for us to give a poo poo about. It's like "OK, why are these shmucks from Macbeth invading? Why the gently caress are these kilt gang kids calling the shot? Why should we care?" Usually base assault poo poo are sort of end game stuff, and literally being invaded by a Crepe truck seems like a comedic parody thing in a more lighthearted series, but it's being treated completely straight face which could be funny, but really isn't. Instead it just feels tonally disjointed.

I dunno, it just feels like the series really isn't living up to its potential or pitch at all. It has flashes of being brilliant like the fact that the Kiltgang are Boner Vampires and SALTY DOG SPY CUP AND STRING but it doesn't balance the serious with the funny very well.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 28, 2014

• Locked thread