Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
:siren: It's out now! http://store.steampowered.com/app/240970/ :siren:

What is this game?
Half-Minute Hero: The Second Coming is the sequel to Half-Minute Hero, released in 2009 for the PSP. The sequel was originally released in Japan in 2011, but due to low sales of the PSP, the sequel was never released outside of Japan.

Until now.

I've never played this! Tell me what you do!

Wikipedia posted:

Hero 30 Mode plays similar to a role-playing video game. The player, as the Hero, is tasked by the Time Goddess to become powerful enough in 30 seconds to find and defeat an enemy boss that is seeking to cast a spell of destruction that will end the world in 30 seconds. To do so, the Hero explores an overworld, encountering random monsters with battles that take place automatically based on the Hero's current equipment to gain experience levels. The Hero can enter towns where the Time Goddess will pause time, allowing for time to shop for equipment and health items, talk to residents and find allies to help in battle, as well to pay money to a statue of the Goddess to reset the countdown timer to 30 seconds.
Basically, it's an extremely fast-paced JRPG. In practice, it plays more like a puzzle game. Each level usually has some sort of trick to completing it in the time limit. In one level, you might be able to go out of your way to get a weapon that kills the boss in one hit. In another, you might find a shortcut that dramatically cuts down on the amount of time it takes to the boss.

In the first game, every level's goal was to defeat the evil lord, but from playing the sequel, they've added a bit of variety to the objectives. One level has you defend a castle from enemy invaders for thirty seconds, for example.

As you might be able to tell, the game is both a parody of and homage to classic video games and JRPGs. The first game was well-localized with lots of jokes, puns, and references to old games, but also had a few surprisingly tender moments that stood out.

The original game also had different modes where you played as other characters. In the PSP game, these characters had very different levels - shoot-em-up, strategy, and defense. They became more similar to the Hero RPG style levels in Super Mega Neo Climax, for better or for worse. These are not present in Half Minute Hero Second.

I highly recommend you play the first game, or at least watch the LP!

I played the first one! Tell me what's new!
- No more Evil Lord, Princess, or Knight modes!
- Multiple Hero characters!
- Special attacks that your characters can randomly do in battle!
- Higher resolution graphics!
- A customizable castle!
- Monsters now appear on the map! (And if you're way stronger than them, you'll immediately knock them off the map like in Earthbound)
- An overworld that lets you fight monsters for extra EXP/Gold between missions!
- An updated multiplayer mode!
- A map editor that lets you create and share levels!
- And more!

When can I buy it and how much will it cost?
Releases April 4th on Steam. It will cost $20.

If you own the first game on Steam, you'll get a 25% discount towards the sequel.

Goon Maps
Download custom maps by going to the Community page on the Main Menu, then selecting 'Download Map.'

Beat Blastin' Bridges by Ludicrous G. Gibs
POKeMON Red/Blue by absolutely anything
EAGLE by Scalding Coffee

Images

Links
Half-Minute Hero 2 on Steam
English Trailer
Video of a Multiplayer match
An interview with the Producer about the localization

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega New Climax Ultimate Boy on Steam
Kaubocks's excellent LP of the first Half-Minute Hero

tl;dr

GET MONEY SAVE THE WORLD

Mr. Trampoline fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Whoa, I didn't expect it to actually come out. Loved the first game, I'll definitely be getting this. And it has a custom map editor? Sweet.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 4, 2014

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Price is confirmed via Twitter to be $20.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wanted to do the sequel to my other thread.

You are not doing MP justice. It now has a goddamn lobby. PK is on by default. Goddess can be toggled to mess up the whole game every couple of seconds on her whims. It also seems to use the maps from the first game. Hopefully, they will be better made to not be grindy slogs.

It will get cards.

What are you waiting for? It is released.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 4, 2014

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I'll update the OP with a section on Multiplayer once I play the mode myself. I guess everyone's playing the single player right now, I can't find any matches.

Also my favorite little thing right now is if you go into the Options, you can take the Goddess's Benchmark Test, and it has a Leaderboard ranking.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I didn't expect soon to mean in two days :stonk:

How is it compared to the first one?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
If anyone wants to do MP, add me on steam

I have been waiting so many years for this game. It's so good :qq:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Wow what the gently caress, I had no idea there even WAS a sequel. So buying this as soon as I get home :dance:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
£15 seems a little much for what HMH is. Does it have enough content to be worth it? I loved the first.

edit; okay yeah multiplayer is worth it this poo poo is hilarious

Pierson fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 4, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I played the first one! Tell me what's new!
- No more Evil Lord, Princess, or Knight modes!

That's not a good thing! Does it include anything to replace them, or is it just one gameplay style all the time now? If so, that's rather disappointing. I can't see myself paying full price if it offers less variety than the original.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is this like a rogue like where failure is pretty common before you win, or is it a more traditional JRPG in which you can't even really lose? I've never heard of this game before now and I'm having a hard time figuring out how it works.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

So is this like a rogue like where failure is pretty common before you win, or is it a more traditional JRPG in which you can't even really lose? I've never heard of this game before now and I'm having a hard time figuring out how it works.

It's just a JRPG played at super-speed. You've got 30 seconds until the end of the world on each level, although you can reset the clock by getting to a town and donating enough gold in time. The price of more time increases with every 30 seconds, though, so you've got a finite number of top-ups. Essentially a time/resource management game.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Dominic White posted:

That's not a good thing! Does it include anything to replace them, or is it just one gameplay style all the time now? If so, that's rather disappointing. I can't see myself paying full price if it offers less variety than the original.

Yes, though not with 3 different characters.

Judgement 30, which is the mini part-2 like from the first game.

Revolution 30, where you are scrambling for 30 seconds for excellent schooltime adventures.

Ragnarok 30, where you are in the post-apocalypse with a mech labeled #30.

Destiny 30, which is the "true end" game mode like from the first game.

Dominic White posted:

It's just a JRPG played at super-speed. You've got 30 seconds until the end of the world on each level, although you can reset the clock by getting to a town and donating enough gold in time. The price of more time increases with every 30 seconds, though, so you've got a finite number of top-ups. Essentially a time/resource management game.

This is also not entirely true anymore, HMH2 has a "persistence" system now where you have a pre-quest and post-quest level/gold amount, so there is some proper grinding for some of the endgame objectives, but it's all in the same style as before so it's not a big deal.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 4, 2014

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Related, groupees is doing a half minute hero tournament http://groupees.com/tournaments/hero

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

It's a fast puzzle game that presents characters, areas, and themes from JRPGs but in 5 minute levels. I wouldn't call this game a rogue-like at all, even the new awful reappropriated definition of rogue-like doesn't fit.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I hope there is a Hero 3 mode. Can't pull the trigger fast enough.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Liquid Penguins posted:

It's a fast puzzle game that presents characters, areas, and themes from JRPGs but in 5 minute levels. I wouldn't call this game a rogue-like at all, even the new awful reappropriated definition of rogue-like doesn't fit.

I see. Its just really weird trying to figure out how this works even having read the OP. It probably makes a lot more sense if you play it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I see. Its just really weird trying to figure out how this works even having read the OP. It probably makes a lot more sense if you play it.

It's a puzzle game with the mechanics and skin of a fast paced RPG. Most levels revolve around figuring out how to gain enough levels quickly enough to beat the boss of the level. Then there's the added layer of trying to do it as quickly as possible for a higher rank.

Some levels are a little more cerebral where there's hidden elements to figure out that let you level up quicker or unlock gear you can use in later levels, or just necessary components to actual beat the boss.

Each level is usually a unique set up with it's own charming characters, boss or mechanics.

(this is in regards to the first one, haven't played this but I'm guessing it's the same)

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I didn't expect soon to mean in two days :stonk:

How is it compared to the first one?
They basically took Hero 30 and expanded it out into a full game with more features. It's just what I wanted. :allears:

Though it also has a bigger focus on story compared to the first game. There's definitely more cutscenes than there used to be, and even the hero talks now. I haven't played enough of it to judge the story, but hopefully it won't get too wrapped up in itself.

I do like all the Community features now! The Map Maker system looks nice. You can search new maps by a few different filters, up or downvote maps, or even subscribe to map makers. There are also leaderboards for just about every level, mode, and difficulty.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm at work so I can't see the videos in the OP, but I never got a chance to play HMH multiplayer. How does it, er, actually work? (If at all? Or is it one of those messes that has no presumption of balance or fairness? :v:)

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'm at work so I can't see the videos in the OP, but I never got a chance to play HMH multiplayer. How does it, er, actually work? (If at all? Or is it one of those messes that has no presumption of balance or fairness? :v:)
You can choose one of 8 maps and a few different options. You can disable the 30 second timer. You can have items be sold out in shops once a person buys them. You can enable PvP (Hold RB while on the map to get into fights with other people.) The thing you definitely need to turn on are the Goddess Whims. Every so often, the Goddess will appear on the screen and give either a buff to the weakest player or a debuff to the strongest player. She might double your gold if you have the least, or halve your gold if you have the most. Goddess Whims turns the multiplayer into a chaotic mess with just 2 people, I'd love to see it with 4.

If you have the timer enabled and time runs out, the game isn't over. You get kicked back to the start of the map, lose your equipment and most of your levels, but you get to keep your current stash of money.

I just won my first multiplayer match by going into a side cave to get a good axe, seeing the "Player 2 has engaged the Evil Lord" message, and then dashing to the castle and kill-stealing the boss. It was great. :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
HMH1, if it worked, operated the same as a regular stage. Everyone went around killing things, collecting gear, and moved farther out to fight tougher things and buy the expensive gear. Levels are misleading since you can be "You > evil" and still be stomped or blow them away in four hits from overleveling.
Each map has some gimmick for killing certain monsters or advancing through areas. You can set it to PK and kill the others or avoid battles while buying up gear in towns. You manage holding money and keeping equipped to level fast, since failing to pay the goddess resets all your gear and reduces the level of everyone.

HMH1 was a clusterfuck of handheld/consolitus decisions. People would lose or gain connection with others between patches. Lobbies didn't exist and a timer constantly ticks down while waiting for others to join. Host controls everything except how much money a person gets. Kicking was impossible. No internal voice or message options, though you would lose if you did type more than a few words in a two minute game. When it did work and the events were manually turned on for every game, it was amazing.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Kaubocks is streaming HMH2 if you'd like to preview the beginning of the game. http://instagib.tv/kaubocks

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Wait what this got brought over? I love Half Minute Hero excuse me while I go buy this immediately.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Bro Team and friends are playing it 4-player right now: http://www.twitch.tv/broteam/b/517100121

Looks pretty fun.

Edit: Updated with the recording link.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 5, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
This is an intense game in a lot of ways, so if you're having trouble running the game at a smooth framerate, use the Goddess' Benchmark in the Options menu and tweak your graphics cards settings from there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

On the one hand, I loving loved the first Half Minute Hero when it came out on 360.
On the other hand, $20 seems a bit steep for it.
On the other other hand, if the online manages to stay alive and there's an active goon squad, I would gladly pay $20 because dicking people over in multiplayer in the original is so fun.

Internet Kraken posted:

It's the abominable love child of a time trial game and a jRPG.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 5, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The first game was unique and a lot of fun but I'm not willing to drop $15 on a sequel less than a month after a few high-profile releases that I bought at full price. I'll definitely be grabbing this in a sale at some point, though. I usually can't stand games with time limits regardless of how strict or lax they are but I loved the way they implemented it in HMH.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 5, 2014

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I'm going to make a section in the OP for goon-made custom maps. If you'd like me to add your map to the OP, just post a link to your map on the Steam Workshop.

There's also a bundle on Groupees that includes the first Half Minute Hero, ends nine days from now, and only costs you $3.50. http://groupees.com/bm12

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I had forgotten how hard to figure out some of the Titles are, even with the hints. It's even worse now, because I have an actual reason to seek them out!

I'm missing so many in the second segment of the game... Just Ignore in Q16, Don't Touch in Q20, Repeating over and over in Q22 and Keep going even if you lose in Q24.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The first game is the best RPG I've played. There, I said it.

Definitely getting this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Warming up more to the single player as I play but man they really front load those cutscenes. I keep expecting jokes but it seems to take itself seriously and that's just so odd to me.

However played 3P multiplayer earlier for a hour or two and I won nearly every time :v: The goddess could not stop me. The final map they give you though boy is it a doozy, the music kept changing and hyping me up.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Warming up more to the single player as I play but man they really front load those cutscenes. I keep expecting jokes but it seems to take itself seriously and that's just so odd to me.

However played 3P multiplayer earlier for a hour or two and I won nearly every time :v: The goddess could not stop me. The final map they give you though boy is it a doozy, the music kept changing and hyping me up.

I've yet to see a single multiplayer game, and I check fairly often. Did you actually set those up with other people or were they random games?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Infinity Gaia posted:

I've yet to see a single multiplayer game, and I check fairly often. Did you actually set those up with other people or were they random games?

Three friends on my list, but yeah lobbies seem to be uh, nonexistant.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well played through this a bit, and it's quite wordy. The first game was pretty much a puzzle game with JRPG elements. This one's a straight up JRPG with HMH mechanics. The single player definitely has a much different feel than the first game's Hero 30 mode. Don't expect more of the same from the first game. Though multiplayer is insanely fun, and it pretty much becomes a game of Mario Party if you turn on Goddess Whims.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nobody mentioning the fact this thing has Oculus Rift support in the options? Because that's kinda silly. Silly and awesome.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well played through this a bit, and it's quite wordy. The first game was pretty much a puzzle game with JRPG elements. This one's a straight up JRPG with HMH mechanics. The single player definitely has a much different feel than the first game's Hero 30 mode. Don't expect more of the same from the first game. Though multiplayer is insanely fun, and it pretty much becomes a game of Mario Party if you turn on Goddess Whims.

Yeah at least so far there's way less whimsy and ignorance of the fourth wall in the story, which I'm finding oddly dispiriting :smith:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah at least so far there's way less whimsy and ignorance of the fourth wall in the story, which I'm finding oddly dispiriting :smith:

Yeah, I don't know about later chapters, but Overture 30's story is pretty dire. It's pretty generic but it doesn't feel like that's part of the joke like it was in the first game, you know?

I'm also a little sad you can't choose which storyline to start with like you could in HMH, because maybe being able to switch over to the one about the Princess being late for school (or whatever, I only kind of remember what all the modes were) could have helped break up the monotony.

The translation has a scanlation quality to it.

I will say that I enjoyed Infinite Mode quite a bit. My score ended up being like 36 or so.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm somehow missing an entire quest :psyduck:.

Anyone know where the hell Q37 is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Windows only makes me so, so sad.

• Locked thread