Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

:siren: Please spoiler tag all boss names, NPC names, locations and anything relating to the story :siren:

Dark Souls II is better on PC. If you have the choice, buy it on PC. If you already have it, buy it again.

*Higher frame rates (solid 60 FPS on a moderately powerful PC)
*Higher texture quality
*Arbitrary resolution support
*3-5 second loading times
*Durante seal of approval

Screenshots:

Update 4/4/2014: Apparently reviewers are getting early access, might want to tweet them asking about the lighting/dynamic shadows since they might not know about the graphical downgrade on consoles

https://twitter.com/bradshoemaker/status/451867629423054848/photo/1

Tips for newbies (spoilers)
#1 Follow the tunnel outside Majula to Heide's Tower, head towards the Cathedral. Pick up the ring outside.
#2 Go down the ladder after the Cardinal Tower bonfire, jump on the buildings as soon as you get back outside, make the jump into the caves, talk to the cartographer until you get the Mansion Key, upgrade your Estus +1
#3 Hit the rock on the well near Majula, upgrade your flask count
#4 Don't kill NPCs like an idiot, especially the old women because they make fun of you. People actually did this.
#5 Even if you're going dex, get your str to at least 12 for the 100% physical damage reduction shield you get after killing Pursuer. You can respec once you get the Defender's Shield and bring it down to 12 later.
#6 Talk to Pate after clearing the bandits in the Forest of Fallen Giants for the white soapstone. Help someone defeat a boss or fulfill your duty to get into the Blue Sentinel faction
#7 Don't waste your Pharros Lockstones, look online to make sure you're not gonna waste them.
#8 Covenant rewards carry over even if you quit and rejoin, no penalty.
#9 Adaptability is recommended for both PVE and PVPers alike. The iframes don't sound like much but it's really nice to have.
#10 It's okay to summon during the Smelter Demon boss, I won't blame you.
#11 The yellow liquid breaks your armor. It's ultimately harmless but best to avoid it.
#12 Don't hit walls, your durability will go down pretty drat fast otherwise.
#13 Oh yeah, forgot, buy the blacksmith key as soon as you can from Cardinal Tower.
#14 Don't run past the chest after beating The Lost Sinner, there's a really important item in there
#15 The game didn't get easier, you got better.
#16 The real Dark Souls 2 begins in NG+, don't get cocky

:siren:IF YOU'RE STUCK READ THIS:siren:

Talk to the miracles woman at Heide's Tower to unlock the other 5/6ths of the game

:siren:SL 150 PVP is a lie created by reddit so hex users can kill you with spells and if you manage to dodge them, weapons, don't buy into it:siren:

Durante's mod/SweetFX/ENBSeries is still at risk, VAC has picked graphical mods up and those false-positives are still banned today. You have been warned.

Sorry about the lovely OP but I lost interest due to 60FPS durability bug and lack of communication on whether graphical mods would result in bans. Will let someone else do the Dark Souls 3 one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009
Been avoiding info about this game while waiting for the PC release so this is the first I've seen of the lighting changes and god drat. I was wondering why they were showing two different areas for their before/after shots until I looked a little closer.

I'm sure it's not that huge of an issue while actually playing but seeing it side by side is just... Jesus.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

If anybody wants to get caught up on the whole PC graphics thing/removing images from the Steam page and doesn't want to trudge through NeoGAF (but do want to trudge through Reddit?), /r/Games had a blow-up a few days ago about it. One of the more interesting theories is that it's not just a lighting change from the demo. All in all it seems like that specific article was overblown, though.

Oh, you might've wanted to reserve another post if this was supposed to be the final thread (I mean, look at the console one, sheesh) and to edit in the release date of the 25th in North America, Europe and Australia.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not going to go on an internet outrage campaign, but I do think it'll be very disappointing if the game will never end up looking as good as it initially did in that footage. This is a series that genuinely benefits from it, I think.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Page 1 reserve, just looked at the other thread and I really could have benefited from another empty post.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not going to go on an internet outrage campaign, but I do think it'll be very disappointing if the game will never end up looking as good as it initially did in that footage. This is a series that genuinely benefits from it, I think.

Agreed. I mean I understand that the lighting has changed dramatically because the torch requirement would have hosed everyone over really, it'd screw over archers, it'd screw over magic users that are already squishy without a shield, it'd screw over dual wielding melee users and it'd really screw over melee users that rely on shields.

After playing the PS3 Network Test back in October/November, the lighting was significantly better but you had to carry a torch everywhere you went. I'm fine with the change and I'm happy that they did it but the loss of dynamic shadowing is a shame and some of the coloring in the areas looks really drab and boring.

I'm hoping they had to leave some sort of post processing effects due to the hardware limitations and that some of the areas will change dramatically in color scheme, along with the improved lighting and dynamic shadows. Those things seem like they were main features of the new engine and I doubt they just selected all the related code and deleted it. They probably just decided to disable it on the 11th hour.

ropa
Sep 7, 2006
so everyone speculating about no lighting features on par with the demos for PC either...

Their lighting technology was probably just staged non real time stuff drawn on the assets. It's the only way I can find a logical explanation for this. Now they don't have time to apply it to the whole game, just demos. But they can't use the FPS excuse with computers.

edit: real time

ropa fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 4, 2014

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Isn't it a little premature to make a thread when we don't have anything but speculation on the quality of the PC version until at least next week?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

ropa posted:

so everyone speculating about no lighting features on par with the demos for PC either...

Their lighting technology was probably just staged non real life stuff drawn on the assets. It's the only way I can find a logical explanation for this. Now they don't have time to apply it to the whole game, just demos. But they can't use the FPS excuse with computers.

I'm really hoping that's not the case because they sure did go through a lot of effort. The January 29th Playstation Access video (running on a Playstation 3 console) shows early/mid/end-game areas and content running quite fluidly. If what they say is true, they removed it at the 11th hour trying to squeeze that extra bit of power. It'd really be a shame though if our version was limited because of 8 year old hardware not being able to handle it, especially after all that nonsense about being the "lead development platform".

Honestly, I'm not upset about the fact that the game may or may not look as good as what was shown, or the fact that they showed off a build running the improved lighting engine 2-3 weeks before the game went gold. Surely they must have known that the game wasn't going to look like that if entire areas were running like Blighttown. That's definitely part of the problem, don't get me wrong. I'm just upset about how they've treated PC users as second class consumers and Namco shut down all further discussion regarding the downgrade controversy. We know nothing about our version beyond what we knew on the day of the announcement, and that's a joke considering how they've gone on and on about the PC being the "lead development platform" and how they've had us in mind since day one.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Carecat posted:

Isn't it a little premature to make a thread when we don't have anything but speculation on the quality of the PC version until at least next week?

It is, but it's better off being said here for the PC version of Dark Souls 2 than the console thread because people are constantly talking about the PC version over there. Not any fitting place for it anywhere really.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm waiting with baited breath to hear Totalbiscuit do a WTF is of it and bitch for 20 minutes about how the options menu isn't up to snuff. "Ugh. No FOV slider that goes up to 120. What a bunch of bollocks :britain:"

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Carecat posted:

Probably. I wouldn't mind a light-hearted "what if" thread to kill some time, but I don't know if that's what we're going to get.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

It'd really be a shame though if our version was limited because of 8 year old hardware not being able to handle it, especially after all that nonsense about being the "lead development platform".

We know nothing about our version beyond what we knew on the day of the announcement, and that's a joke considering how they've gone on and on about the PC being the "lead development platform" and how they've had us in mind since day one.
Did they give any other confirmation after that Spanish interview?

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Doom Goon posted:

Did they give any other confirmation after that Spanish interview?

That's clearly french.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh right, the link I found said Spanish, and Google Translate apparently didn't care what I selected when I checked. I took French, too. :eng99:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

Probably. I wouldn't mind a light-hearted "what if" thread to kill some time

I've been in the dark about this since the DS1 thread was speculating about riding around on a giant clay spider, while being attacked by swarms of infinitely tessellating smaller spiders.

I have weird feelings about this game.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The most pressing issue they could fix for the pc release (and console) is giving the game actual sanity checks. Cheating is already happening quite a lot on ps3, and it's only going to get worse on the PC version. Soul memory makes easy way for much, much worse griefing than in DS1.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
According to a post on NeoGAF, the PC version is good.

quote:

1080p at 60fps
Several graphics options. Textures, shadows, effects, AA, AO, blur, anisotropic filtering, water quality, depth of field and etc
There's an option that will automatically lower your graphics to mantain performance
Really fast loading times. Don't even have time to read an entire tip

Unfortunately for people expecting something over 60FPS, the game is locked at 60 due to engine limitations. It also supports resolutions higher than 1080P so I look forward to playing this on my 4K monitor.

I'm trying to get some confirmation from my sources that have the game and are playing the game right now according to my Steam Friends. The fact that they're not going in and out of game is good because they're not crashing it seems. Don't know whether they're embargoed or not but I'll try to ask the hard questions for you guys, off the record but as I said, they're playing the according to the Steam Community and have 5 hours logged so far.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The embargo goes up early next week according to Brad Shoemaker, so that's still a long time before it's out. No need to try and get someone to break it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

According to a post on NeoGAF, the PC version is good.

Unfortunately for people expecting something over 60FPS, the game is locked at 60 due to engine limitations. It also supports resolutions higher than 1080P so I look forward to playing this on my 4K monitor.

I'm trying to get some confirmation from my sources that have the game and are playing the game right now according to my Steam Friends. The fact that they're not going in and out of game is good because they're not crashing it seems. Don't know whether they're embargoed or not but I'll try to ask the hard questions for you guys, off the record but as I said, they're playing the according to the Steam Community and have 5 hours logged so far.

That's good to hear. When they talk about those features does this confirm the original lighting is back in for pc?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mindblast posted:

That's good to hear. When they talk about those features does this confirm the original lighting is back in for pc?
I wasn't going to bother posting about it, but since you asked, here's the thread. Basically the (totally unknown) poster's just hearing about it second-hand through a friend or something who has a review copy and hasn't personally seen it (not even sure about vsync). I wouldn't keep your hopes up about the lighting system, though the poster seems thrilled about how well the PC version is reported to run regardless (and there's a little more detail in subsequent posts about resolution, etc.).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Hey dudes, embargo's up. Definitely doesn't seem like they added in the old lighting system, but it sure does look nice running at 60 FPS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dark-souls-ii-pc/2300-8726/

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Looks nice at 60 fps. Texture work isn't amazing overall.

But generally, it looks like a souped up version of the console version and I suppose that's all you can expect. It's mostly unfortunate that they showed a version they were incapable of delivering to preview the game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Has much been talked about how playable this will be with a keyboard and mouse? I'd rather play it on my PC than PS3 but don't have a controller for my PC and don't really want to have to buy one

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It looks like it will be fairly customizable unlike the previous Dark Souls.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hakkesshu posted:

Hey dudes, embargo's up. Definitely doesn't seem like they added in the old lighting system, but it sure does look nice running at 60 FPS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-dark-souls-ii-pc/2300-8726/

Can't say I'm surprised. The gutting of the lighting system felt deliberate, they didn't like what it did to gameplay and axed it because gameplay is ultimately the most important thing in Dark Souls. Or at least that's my guess. :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was another person avoiding info about this before the PC version so I didn't know about the lighting changes and goddamn. It looks absolutely nothing like it used to and not in a good way. Oh well.

Jose posted:

Has much been talked about how playable this will be with a keyboard and mouse? I'd rather play it on my PC than PS3 but don't have a controller for my PC and don't really want to have to buy one

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/08/here-are-dark-souls-2s-pc-graphics-and-control-options/

I'm keeping my controller around just in case but shift/ctrl + click bindings make it look like it might almost be playable with a mouse and keyboard.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As someone who has spent nearly 200 hours on the PS3 version now I can safely say that the game looks really good in places and really poor in some others. The PC version can only make things better. Realtime lighting IS in the game, it just isn't always active.

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can't say I'm surprised. The gutting of the lighting system felt deliberate, they didn't like what it did to gameplay and axed it because gameplay is ultimately the most important thing in Dark Souls. Or at least that's my guess. :shrug:

I think it might be a combination of gameplay and performance reasons on the old consoles, the lighting system shown in the previews was I think ONLY present in the limited areas they showed off in said previews, and when they scrapped it due to whatever reason, they never finished implementing it for the rest of the game, and having it in for only a very select few areas in the PC version would just be terrible and jarring, hence the lack of even the option in the PC port.

At least, this is what I've heard.

This might also explain the inconsistent behavior of light seen in a couple places in the Giant Bomb Dark Souls 2 PC video as remnants of the scrapped system not being fully removed.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Jose posted:

You can use your PS3 controller on the PC. There's a thread in SH/SC about the DS4 with links to drivers.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
E: or that ^

Jose posted:

My ps3 recently died, and the one controller I have remaining has now become my pc gamepad. I decided to try to get it running with MotioninJoy drivers or whatever, but in the thirty seconds it took to find motioninjoy I also noticed a link that took me here:

XInput Wrapper for DS3 and Play.com USB Dual DS2 Controller as posted by Scarlet.Crush
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

From personal experience I would say it loving rules: Dark Souls, Don't Starve, Spelunky, Steamworld Dig...anything I've wanted a controller for my ps3 pad (oh, usb connected) has done the trick, no sweat.

Here's a link to a blurb about pc options, saw it on steam earlier:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/08/here-are-dark-souls-2s-pc-graphics-and-control-options/

E: Found a Forbes article where the writer says:

Forbes posted:

Mouse and keyboard are fully supported this time around. I played the game effectively using this setup, but I still prefer a gamepad for third-person action titles, and Dark Souls II still works best with a gamepad plugged in. From Software must also think this, since the prompts onscreen default to buttons rather than keys.

You can mess around with keybindings as well, which is probably a good idea since some of the defaults are puzzling. It’s a shame that the PC version didn’t adopt the earlier build of the game, both in terms of assets and lighting. I’m still not sure I’d like to constantly be swathed in darkness in this game, and I’m not even sure that the much higher-contrast lighting effects are the right way to go, but there’s no doubt PCs could handle this.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/04/08/dark-souls-ii-pc-preview-heres-what-to-expect/

All it says for controls is that they are remappable...doesn't really tell you how it feels to handle, but I think that's a bit personal anyway. Don't care for the tone of that article but whatever.

If you prefer a controller you should give this a shot, it was a breeze to set up and now I've learned xbox button prompts. Playing Dark Souls on my pc feels exactly as it did on ps3. Although, like I said, just how I found it to be.

Hope that helps you out.

Sir Bedevere fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 10, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Reminder that the game is dirt cheap on Nuuvem

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Mans posted:

Reminder that the game is dirt cheap on Nuuvem

Aren't the keys Nuuvem is selling region-locked to South America, and won't work anywhere else, or has that changed? Also, I think with the 25% off DS2 coupon on GMG, you can get it cheaper than Nuuvem anyway.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is region locked to Japan, free for the rest of the world.

Without discounts it's currently at 27 euros while GMG is at 49, even a 25% discount won't lower it down to the silly Brazilian price.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I was watching streams for the Xbox/Ps3 versions and it got me thinking, is this on the same engine as Dark Souls? The game looked exactly the same, just different locales.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Pr0phecy posted:

I was watching streams for the Xbox/Ps3 versions and it got me thinking, is this on the same engine as Dark Souls? The game looked exactly the same, just different locales.

No, they rebuilt the engine form the ground up for DS2.

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient
I have cancelled my pre-order after finding out that the graphics of this game isn't the same as the E3 preview.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

Kresher posted:

I have cancelled my pre-order after finding out that the graphics of this game isn't the same as the E3 preview.

Out of principle? Or only because of the graphics down-grade?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, is there some controversy about the graphics that i'm unaware of?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mans posted:

Wait, is there some controversy about the graphics that i'm unaware of?

The preview videos demonstrated a dynamic lighting system that was not implemented in the actual release, due to how awful it ran on the current gen consoles. Some people are very mad about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i read about the lightning and i'm okay with that because i'm not a child. I thought people were talking about actual graphic downgrading. Whiny goons will be whiny goons.