Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Vigor will give you more immediate returns and doesn't rely on any player skill to benefit from. Iframes don't help if you get caught flat-footed or dodged way too early/late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To be fair, iirc, the basic hollow soldiers do have a sticky combo they can trap you in. Plus a few setups where if you're not paying attention two can work together to box you in.

But also if I'm not mistaken you get a free clutch of human effigies at the start of Forest. If you've died enough that the missing health is too much, pop one?

I guess I don't have a good solution if you've died so many times you've completely exhausted them.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I found one off a skeleton on the way to the soldier quarters. Looks like they're possible to farm if I really need one.

Then I got stomped on by a battle mage dark spirit. Hell yeah now we're soulsing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Serephina posted:

Please do not raise your roll-stat before your hp-stat, otherwise death spirals in the early game will be a very real thing. Losing up to 50% of your maxhp when you're struggling with a particular area quickly means you drop into one-shot range for some basic zombie combos, if you raised something other than hp.

The roll can come later.

To be fair, the small white soapstone is wonderful for getting your max health back. It is genuinely shocking to me that Fromsoft didn't bring that one back for the later games - it's so nice to be able to help someone through a level and then peace out so that they can heal before the boss and summon some fresh help.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, the small white soapstone is wonderful for getting your max health back. It is genuinely shocking to me that Fromsoft didn't bring that one back for the later games - it's so nice to be able to help someone through a level and then peace out so that they can heal before the boss and summon some fresh help.

It's the one thing I missed massively as 3 came out. Like bro I am bad at this boss and will likely be a hindrance but I can get you to the bonfire next to it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

My one rule in souls games is to neglect levelling HP and DS2 was no exception

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Seems like once a stat hits 25-30 each level after that is only adding +1 so your better off putting the souls into other stats

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

90sgamer posted:

Seems like once a stat hits 25-30 each level after that is only adding +1 so your better off putting the souls into other stats

Unless you want to powerstance two UGS, which generally should be in anyone's life priorities.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Party Boat posted:

Counterpoint: leveling any stat in DS2 contributed a bit to your HP, so the only way to pull that off was to never level.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Party Boat posted:

I did that until Elden Ring where I finally prioritized Vigor and kicked myself after realizing how good it is. Being able to survive mistakes is unbelievably strong and I heavily recommend it. I just think putting ADP up even earlier helps a whole lot because it gives you a much bigger window to not make a mistake (aka wrong dodge timing) in the first place.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yah I'm gonna do the adp first until 96/99 agi breakpoints then get the other ones up. Rolling is clunky coming from Elden Ring at my current agi.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Note that agi only affects i-frames, the smoothness and distance of your roll is independent of that, based rather on your carry weight, with no breakpoints at all (apart from 100%). I feel the breakpoint-less rolls where the best implementation in all three games.

edit: wow did I misremember that.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 18, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

Note that agi only affects i-frames, the smoothness and distance of your roll is independent of that, based rather on your carry weight, with no breakpoints at all (apart from 100%). I feel the breakpoint-less rolls where the best implementation in all three games.

No breakpoints eh? So no fat roll cutoff? Interesting.

Yeah by clunkiness I mean the iframe timing. It's too precise for my liking at 87 agi. Does parry depend a lot on shield type? I only used like two shields in DS1 and only started parrying for one specific reason (you know the one).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Whoops, I'm totally wrong. Fat rolls at 70%, smooth scaling under that.

In my defense, I did ds2 as a lightweight character and so I got to really enjoy not stressing about .1lb differences breaking some arbitrary threshold.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Serephina posted:

Whoops, I'm totally wrong. Fat rolls at 70%, smooth scaling under that.

In my defense, I did ds2 as a lightweight character and so I got to really enjoy not stressing about .1lb differences breaking some arbitrary threshold.

70% fat roll is hard wired into my brain so it's ok.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Simply Simon posted:

I did that until Elden Ring where I finally prioritized Vigor and kicked myself after realizing how good it is. Being able to survive mistakes is unbelievably strong and I heavily recommend it. I just think putting ADP up even earlier helps a whole lot because it gives you a much bigger window to not make a mistake (aka wrong dodge timing) in the first place.
Vig is just more important in ds3 and especially elden ring, not just due to the difficulty of some encounters but also due to the absolutely bonkers way your HP scales in thise games. Which may have been implemented as a result of people often neglecting vig/vit in ds1/ds2.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I never level vigor above 20 in ds2. Enemies don’t generally have bullshit super combos so as long as you can back off and use a life gem, you can get back in the fight.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I pretty much always level vigor or whatever the game's hp stat is to the soft cap before investing in any damage stats in any soulslike. It's so good, and I think a lot of the games' reputation for extreme difficulty comes from people never leveling hp.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tbh I've usually theorized the opposite, but that's more in context of DS1 specifically. "Argh, I keep dying even though I put all those points in Resistance!"

Combined with its reputation you get a lot of newbies panicking and turtling up against even basic hollows.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 18, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Moon Monster posted:

I pretty much always level vigor or whatever the game's hp stat is to the soft cap before investing in any damage stats in any soulslike. It's so good, and I think a lot of the games' reputation for extreme difficulty comes from people never leveling hp.

Also worth noting that Raw infusions really help this strategy out. When all you need is the minimum stats, investing in HP with only a relatively small loss in damage (as the scaling only really kicks in at higher numbers) is really nice.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Just invest into everything and go Mundane! Don't. It's terrible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Also worth noting that Raw infusions really help this strategy out. When all you need is the minimum stats, investing in HP with only a relatively small loss in damage (as the scaling only really kicks in at higher numbers) is really nice.

Raw or other non scaling enchantments are good at low levels regardless of how you're investing your stats. Even if you've gone full strength you're not going to get all that much extra damage from it on a heavy mace+4.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

F for the dumbest effective builds around

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I plan on being a heavily armored, big dumb idiot just like in real life thank you very much. Strength build, biggest dumbest weapons, heaviest armor I can carry below fat roll.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

The Moon Monster posted:

I think a lot of people don't prioritize leveling vigor because it's boring. It doesn't make your damage go up, it doesn't let you cast a new spell, it doesn't let you equip a better weapon or cool looking armor. They just get used to being killed in one or two hits and think its normal since Dark Souls is "hard."

All of the Souls games play at a better pace when you aren't wasting half your time running back to your soul patch because you died from not having enough hit points.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's important to level vigor and HP so you can survive longer falls.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

I plan on being a heavily armored, big dumb idiot just like in real life thank you very much. Strength build, biggest dumbest weapons, heaviest armor I can carry below fat roll.

Sounds like we'll have a new great club club member soon.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's important to level vigor and HP so you can survive longer falls.
Fall damage is percentage (of human/embered HP) based though, DEX is more important in that regard as higher DEX allows you to survive longer drops.
That's DS3, my bad.

giZm fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 19, 2024

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Indeed, with some early vigor and the life and blue rings, you can get an early fragrant branch from FoFG and drop down the majula pit.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Node posted:

I think a lot of people don't prioritize leveling vigor because it's boring. It doesn't make your damage go up, it doesn't let you cast a new spell, it doesn't let you equip a better weapon or cool looking armor. They just get used to being killed in one or two hits and think its normal since Dark Souls is "hard."

All of the Souls games play at a better pace when you aren't wasting half your time running back to your soul patch because you died from not having enough hit points.

which is funny because the system being the way it is wrt stats and equipment/spells, you're encouraged to try new tools because pumping a damage stat does fuckall on NG with unupgraded weapons.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FishMcCool posted:

In not-sotfs 1.0 maybe.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Good: defeated the pursuer. A couple more roll frames were all I needed. Plus my favorite Elden Ring tactic: roll into the attack.

Bad: farming those cool kings knights dudes looking for their armor I learned there's a respawn cap. Lame!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The respawn cap is far and away my last favorite part of ds2

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You can get rid of the respawn cap by joining the Covenant of Champions in Majula

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

There are ways around the cap, but they all have Consequences.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It still stinks.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Respawn cap is great. It's inconsequential if you're good and don't need 14 attempts at the same area, it's inconsequential if you want to farm since CoC is a thing, and it's an absolute blessing to bad players struggling with some areas. I really, really, really enjoyed that cap in Iron Keep my first time through the game.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

I really, really, really enjoyed that cap in Iron Keep my first time through the game.

:emptyquote:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Iron Passage too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Also I think you can buy the knight gear from the armor guy in Majula.