Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If anything the PC version's graphics are a slight upgrade from the console's, what with the resolution bump and sharper textures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mans posted:

Yeah i read about the lightning and i'm okay with that because i'm not a child. I thought people were talking about actual graphic downgrading. Whiny goons will be whiny goons.

That is a graphics thing though.

E ^^^ Framerate is better too, I believe.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FrickenMoron posted:

Soul memory makes easy way for much, much worse griefing than in DS1.

This isn't quite true, but it is not quite false either.

You can edit someone's soul level to 999 on Dark Souls 1 PC. You can't quite do something like that in DS2 due to Soul Memory's influence supposedly capping at 12 million.

Though admittedly it's a lot easier to screw someone over with Soul Memory by simply committing suicide.

There is also the banning threat, which straight out did not exist in DS1 unless you were unbelievably notorious. Though, I have not heard if the threat of bans in DS2 has been followed up on yet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mans posted:

Yeah i read about the lightning and i'm okay with that because i'm not a child. I thought people were talking about actual graphic downgrading. Whiny goons will be whiny goons.

It is graphical downgrading, though. I'm not going to boycot it or anything, but let's not act like there isn't a pretty significant difference between what the game looks like now and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
If you don't care then fair enough but for shallow people like me it is disappointing, I want my pretend knight simulator to look pretty to aid my escape from my cruel impotent life.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

It's not just lighting differences, the entire game looks terrible in comparison to the original reveal and considering how much this franchise relies on atmosphere, it really kills it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFQoLN89_j8

I was really excited for the game after seeing all the gameplay footage and advertisements :(

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The lighting is still active BTW, just not everywhere
I wonder if modders can change that.

PS you all are a bunch of whiny babies. For every area that looks bad the game has 2 that look stunning. I'm super excited for the pc version.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love how you can't express disappointment in the degradation between preview footage and final product without being called a shallow whiny entitled douche baby

Wait no that's loving dumb

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

PS you all are a bunch of whiny babies. For every area that looks bad the game has 2 that look stunning.
So a third of the game looks bad? :v:

quote:

I'm super excited for the pc version.
Yeah, me too. Doesn't change the fact I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics changes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah it looks different, but have you actually played the game? It's still good looking overall despite the flaws.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah it looks different, but have you actually played the game? It's still good looking overall despite the flaws.

Yes, I have beaten the PS3 version. It's a good game that is not ugly. That doesn't mean I'm not disappointed that it doesn't look as good as it initially did, especially when I'm double dipping on PC. It's not a big deal, but it kind of sucks. Still looking forward to the PC version - the framerate alone will make a huge difference.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 12, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Well, there is still hope in the form of mods.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So a third of the game looks bad? :v:

I hope so, that'd be an improvement over the first game which had the entire latter half in the trash.

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
According to Neogaf, Durante, the guy who brought us DSFix, has been given a review copy of the PC version and is currently working on an in depth article for PC Gamer about the difference between it and the console version. He probably wont be looking at the possibility of reimplementing the lighting system though.

There's no ETA on that article yet but it will likely be out before release on the 25th.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Should I bother trying to play DS1 on the PC?

QuantumButler
Feb 23, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Have you ever played DS1 before?

If not, then it is absolutely a game worth playing, even with DS2 right around the corner, and even if you have, with the DSfix it looks and runs a good deal better on the PC than it did on consoles, and there are some other mods that exist as well.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Anatharon posted:

Yeah, it's a really really good game. The only thing that kind of stinks about the PC version compared to the PS3 version is that you will occasionally get invaded by an invincible hacker with level-draining attacks. If you pick it up, make sure you grab DSFix and turn on the save game backup feature, since that's the easiest way to recover from a really bad hacker.

On the other hand, it runs and looks so much better than the PS3 version that I would still recommend the PC version, hackers and all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You can just avoid hackers by staying hollow, can't you? There probably aren't that many great opportunities for coop now, anyway.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hakkesshu posted:

It is graphical downgrading, though. I'm not going to boycot it or anything, but let's not act like there isn't a pretty significant difference between what the game looks like now and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JFDPCtXFY

Oh, that does look very different :stare:

With any hope they can be patched in at a future date.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dark Souls 1 is a great game, and is a lot of fun on PC.

Hakkesshu posted:

You can just avoid hackers by staying hollow, can't you? There probably aren't that many great opportunities for coop now, anyway.

You might still want to summon in Solaire, or do the NPC invasions, etc.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I love how you can't express disappointment in the degradation between preview footage and final product without being called a shallow whiny entitled douche baby

Wait no that's loving dumb

People can fully well express disappointment without hyperbolic statements and saying they refuse to buy it because it has worse graphics than they expected.

In both cases there's a middle ground and I dunno what exactly you can do to tell developers that you disapprove though. Besides posting that you disapprove, I guess.

I am disappointed, but I'm still ordering the game because the graphics are like one tenth of why I enjoyed the first one.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Jim Sterling speaks about the graphical downgrades that happen post announcement for some titles in a recent Jimquistion:

Watch_Dogs: A Vertical Slice Of Steaming Bullshots
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8876-Watch-Dogs-A-Vertical-Slice-Of-Steaming-Bullshots

Even if you can't stand the guy for being a vulgar weirdo this is an excellent point of view in my opinion; worth a view.

Specifically for DS2, I don't understand why the pc version would not get the original lighting engine if it was the lead development platform.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
I'm not particularly upset about the graphics changes. And while I can understand why others might be upset about it, I don't think it's really necessary.

It's just the way the game industry is. You should consider literally every bit of pre-release news/images/video to be a lie/fabrication. Never preorder, wait for the game to come out, and get some first hand impressions, then decide if you want to buy. Developers, publishers, gaming press, it's all falsehoods and marketing and should never be listened too. DS1 is one of my favorite games ever, as such DS2 is an easy sell for me. But like hell am I going to preorder it.

Hell, I didn't even watch the original video until this thread, because I expect all early videos to be lies. So no false expectations here.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 12, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

voltron lion force posted:

If anything the PC version's graphics are a slight upgrade from the console's, what with the resolution bump and sharper textures.

There's nothing slight about it, in reality. The better textures and high natural rendering resolutions will make things look much better and a stable 60fps is a huge improvement.

It doesn't look close to as good as the original announcement but to say it's anything other than the definitive release of the game is being facetious. This was true of Dark Souls on PC too before DSfix. It still looks and runs better than any console version.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes there is, a lot.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
We may be the leading development platform but we're still the smallest market platform. Can you imagine the equivalent console pants-making GBS threads that would be happening if PC really did get that lighting engine? Hey, thats development though. Marketing use something of yours you're experimenting with because its cool, then suddenly everything has to change.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So with liquid humanity gone in DS2, what affects item drop? Just rings/items? I'm kind of curious about how it works since it seems like they want to reduce farming as much as possible (what with the non-respawning enemies and all).

Pb and Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 13, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

So with liquid humanity gone in DS2, what affects item drop? Just rings/items? I'm kind of curious about how it works since it seems like they want to reduce farming as much as possible (what with the none respawning enemies and all).

Rings/equipment/consumables. Thing is though they didn't actually mitigate farming much at all. They definitely expect you to make use of bonfire ascetic system, and there are many armor sets that can only be farmed from NG+ enemies in this way, which necessitates the use of farming items. Rather than say farming phalanx slimes for souls, you'll be doing boss runs via the ascetics to rack up a big soul count.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Cool, thanks for the answer. I'm also wondering which covenant would be best for some sweet sweet PVP action? I heard the darkwraith equivalent is broken, but the bell bros sounds good, since I mostly forest hunted in DS1. I will do some co-op, but I prefer to do bosses and hard areas alone, so I'm not worried about summoning others.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The most like the Forest is being a Bellkeeper yes. However, the bell zones are far more constrained than the forest, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you liked about forest invasions.

Nothing is "broken" about the Brotherhood of Blood or the Blue Sentinels. They work just fine and even have access to their own duel arenas for easier PVP matchmaking. However, they both have an incredibly stupid element where it takes 500 wins each to max out the covenant ranks, and losses cause you to go down in total wins.

The Dragon covenant has a really easy time gettng duels now, because the zone with the covenant leader can be used to set up pvp matches, unlike in Dark Souls 1

The Rat covenant is this games Gravelords, except actually interesting and functional and satisfying. You basically have a choice between a small and compact and large and expnasive dungeon to be the dungeon keeper of, and its a one-on-one contest to see if they can kill you before they die to you and your traps and monsters.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you want to invade, bloodbro. Bluebro is ok on ng+. Bellbro is very limited.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Bellbroing is very limited in terms of variety, but it's really consistent and it requires nearly zero effort from you. Just pop the ring on and then go do whatever you want. The game will grab you when it's time to kill mans.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I pre-order will I get the soundtrack now or when the game releases officially?

doublefrost
Jan 8, 2006
I think the rhetoric around the lighting / brightness changes from the reveal needs changing.

Rather than bandying around words like 'downgrade' or 'bullshots' embrace the fact that the overlit Dark Souls 2, as it exists today, is grossly incandescent . :downs:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

poptart_fairy posted:

If I pre-order will I get the soundtrack now or when the game releases officially?

The latter. At least, I certainly don't have it despite being gifted the game.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Unfortunately, it comes with the game release. The way soundtrack bonuses work on steam is you need to download the game, and the soundtrack will be downloaded along with. You can find it in the game files.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To any deal-hunters, whats the cheapest way to get this right now?

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Whilst is sucks about the graphics, running this off SSD is really going to kick-rear end for those of us who suck and die a lot.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This exchange happened in the main steam thread recently, don't know if it's the cheapest but it might be:

Naar posted:

On that note, I got a code for 20% off in the GMG newsletter which just worked on Arkham Origins: O3H7FE-D4NFO0-F0LIGK. Not sure if it's one of those ones that are tied to your account, though.

Jolo posted:

That code worked for Dark Souls 2 for me. Thank you so much! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My friend got a pretty good code by being subscribed to GMG's newsletter, something I missed, so I didn't get the code. :smith:

It's alright though, decided to spend a ton of money for a figurine instead.

Dark Souls 2 ought to be worth it.