Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
If you don't mind going for a slightly shady CD key seller, Simply CD Keys have it for £19.99 after a voucher, G2A and Fast2Play for a bit less, though they are shadier. Nuuvem are apparently selling a worldwide version for a decent price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I'm not sure if it's the wait after the initial console launch, the graphical downgrades or that so far the lore and story seems pretty inferior to DkS1 with imo TOO much fan service callbacks etc.

I've sort of gone from chomping at the bit to get it on launch, to planning to get it on payday, to probably getting it when it almost certainly ends up in the steam sale, to... "eh, I'll probably watch a Lets Play at some point".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Naar posted:

If you don't mind going for a slightly shady CD key seller, Simply CD Keys have it for £19.99 after a voucher, G2A and Fast2Play for a bit less, though they are shadier. Nuuvem are apparently selling a worldwide version for a decent price.

FWIW, I bought Thief from Simply CD Keys and had no issues. Though they seem to be out of stock of DS2 right now.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I have been sort of looking around but haven't found anything about how From or Namco will be implementing all the online junk.

Will it use Steamworks or something created in house? I'm a little surprised that this hasn't been talked about or like had an article written about it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It will use Gamespy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The UK physical release of the PC version has been delayed by a week because of a manufacturing mess up with the packaging.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-15-manufacturing-issue-holds-boxed-pc-dark-souls-2-back-in-uk

The digital release seems to be unaffected.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

I have been sort of looking around but haven't found anything about how From or Namco will be implementing all the online junk.

Will it use Steamworks or something created in house? I'm a little surprised that this hasn't been talked about or like had an article written about it.

I'd like to know if the original Dark Souls will ever be updated to Steamworks, or if they're just going to leave that game to die.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Organs posted:

I'd like to know if the original Dark Souls will ever be updated to Steamworks, or if they're just going to leave that game to die.

I don't think there is much they could do that would be cost efficient, but then again the Demon's Souls servers are still up after years of planning to take them down.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Organs posted:

Considering that Dark Souls was only released on PC in the first place because they could basically copy/paste the 360's netcode with Games for Windows Live, short of completely redoing the entire netcode, it seems unlikely.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Demon's Souls uses servers and no GFWL unlike Dark Souls' p2p, so it can last as long as there's funding for the servers (which are still around today for that reason). Dark Souls is reliant on GFWL for its online stuff to work so it will break if GFWL is pulled with no direct replacement for it.

I remember when I first started Dark Souls I figured that the horrible unplayable lag caused by its p2p network would at least have the upside of the online lasting forever, as long as people were playing, because it wouldn't have to connect to servers to work (unlike Demon's Souls and presumably Dark Souls 2 which are gone as soon as the servers are done). Hahaha nope thanks GFWL. We got laggy online and it's still going to die.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 15, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It will use Gamespy.

MP on PC will probably last about that long anyway.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't get that sentiment.

I keep getting told by people here that Dark Souls 1 PC is some kind of blighted no man's land, yet I get hits practically anytime and anywhere I decide to use my co-op orb.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Heck, the DS1PC thread is pretty active and there's several LP's going showing that it the community is still fairly active.

Orv
May 4, 2011
He made a joke, I also made a joke. :shrug:

I was just PvPing minutes ago, it's definitely still fine.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

While there is some good activity on PC I will say that it always felt a lot less active than PS3 to me. Right after it came out on PC there was lots of activity but when it died down a little it was definitely much harder to sunbro, and there were a lot more hackers and cheaters invading. On PS3 at the same time I was getting summoned very reliably in most areas.

I think PC probably had a smaller playerbase overall after the initial buzz, and to me that made a pretty big difference when the network already made it a headache to summon anyone. That mod that guaranteed you could connect to your friends was a godsend.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
It has less (zero) to do with playerbase and more the matching being fundamentally broken in the first game. There are a lot of people around you in the PC version that you just don't really get to ever see or interact with.

Everything hinges on that one thing for this game as well. The real test is if two weeks after launch it still take more than 2 attempts to summon the same person. Then we'll know if they actually hosed it up or not.

Actually sheer volume of ghosts and messages in the tutorial area and majula will let us know if the connectivity works or not.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So glad this game comes out the same time most people get their tax refund.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gazaar posted:

It has less (zero) to do with playerbase and more the matching being fundamentally broken in the first game. There are a lot of people around you in the PC version that you just don't really get to ever see or interact with.

Everything hinges on that one thing for this game as well. The real test is if two weeks after launch it still take more than 2 attempts to summon the same person. Then we'll know if they actually hosed it up or not.

Actually sheer volume of ghosts and messages in the tutorial area and majula will let us know if the connectivity works or not.

Judging by the console versions this won't be a problem. Connections rarely fail and when they do its often due to the host dying or the phantom being summoned by someone else. The more pressing issue will be the soul memory system and how it complicates the matchmaking.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Been watching PVP videos to psyche myself up for this game. Looks great so far because people are still kinda getting into the groove of things. So excited for the new covenants and the different ways of doing everything.

I feel bad for PS/XBox users, the loading times seem sorta long as hell.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm double dipping on PS3 and PC and I'm mainly looking forwards to faster loading times, especially when it comes to PvP. Sitting at loading screens and then waiting 10 seconds for your duel opponent to get summoned is just painful. The graphical updates, even if they aren't at the level I'd hoped them to be (yet) will be nice too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Judging by the console versions this won't be a problem. Connections rarely fail and when they do its often due to the host dying or the phantom being summoned by someone else. The more pressing issue will be the soul memory system and how it complicates the matchmaking.

Part of the problem (IIRC) with the PC Dark Souls 1 version is that a lot of people don't have the right Xbox ports open, since when you connect an actual Xbox it opens them, but it still wants them for GFWL. So you get tons of failed connections and such. I invaded 20 different people in the space of an hour at 6AM GMT -7, so there's plenty of people on 1. Most of the hackers have moved on as well.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I heard that in DS2 you have the ability to respec your stats, so does that include all your stats or just the ones you've added to? So for example, if you start as a class which has 9 intelligence, but you don't plan to use any spells, can you put yourself down to zero or 1 intelligence and reallocate those points elsewhere? Or is there a minimum of how low you can put something?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

Part of the problem (IIRC) with the PC Dark Souls 1 version is that a lot of people don't have the right Xbox ports open, since when you connect an actual Xbox it opens them, but it still wants them for GFWL.

There's also the extra issue that, if you have an XBox, it still wants the same ports, and two devices can't have the same ports open for them with port forwarding. So you have to mess with the registry.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I heard that in DS2 you have the ability to respec your stats, so does that include all your stats or just the ones you've added to? So for example, if you start as a class which has 9 intelligence, but you don't plan to use any spells, can you put yourself down to zero or 1 intelligence and reallocate those points elsewhere? Or is there a minimum of how low you can put something?

It's purely reallocation, no de-leveling. Don't think you can go below your starting stats.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Tallgeese posted:

There's also the extra issue that, if you have an XBox, it still wants the same ports, and two devices can't have the same ports open for them with port forwarding. So you have to mess with the registry.

The fact this requires a regedit will always be amazing. Being able to choose ports in an option menu isn't exactly revolutionary!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
FROM is a very Japanese company, and Japanese studios don't really make PC games. The fact that they did their own port of the first game speaks volumes to their dedication to learn.

I'm pretty optimistic.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man am I ever glad I only have a 750m so I don't need to care about the graphics.

I played through DS1 with DSMfix, should I go out and get a gamepad for DSII? I already have the wireless 360 controllers, but I'm less than enthusiastic about having to either buy a 40 dollar wired controller or a 30 dollar wireless receiver (I'm in Canada, we get boned on prices).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Got a PS3 or PS4 pad? Those will work fine as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tallgeese posted:

Got a PS3 or PS4 pad? Those will work fine as well.

Unfortunately no - I have a 360 that I basically only use for netflix so I can just grab my controller from that.

Basically what I'm wondering is whether or not I should just say 'gently caress it' and buy the receiver or try and muscle through on KB&M.

Orv
May 4, 2011
From what I understand the KB&M controls can be entirely remapped this time, including sensitivity so it all works just fine out of the box.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I for one am glad I have access to a USB Xbox controller now. Played DS1 with both M/K and a controller and it was like night and day.

Looking forward to all the crazy mods, especially Shibe Souls v2.0

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I bought one of the wireless receivers and got it to work, but I did have to jump through some software hoops, looking up poo poo online and messing with settings and properties, but it if the controls are at all similar to DS1 I just can't see wanting to use a keyboard and mouse instead. Even if they are doable this time, I just can't see it being nearly as good. I beat the first game with KB&M, and later got the wireless receiver, and it made a world of difference. I never parried, jump attacked, and seldom locked on during my first playthrough. Not to say that one would necessarily be this limited, but we know for a fact that DS2 works well and feels great with a gamepad, so I would go with it.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I bought one of the wireless receivers and got it to work, but I did have to jump through some software hoops, looking up poo poo online and messing with settings and properties, but it if the controls are at all similar to DS1 I just can't see wanting to use a keyboard and mouse instead. Even if they are doable this time, I just can't see it being nearly as good. I beat the first game with KB&M, and later got the wireless receiver, and it made a world of difference. I never parried, jump attacked, and seldom locked on during my first playthrough. Not to say that one would necessarily be this limited, but we know for a fact that DS2 works well and feels great with a gamepad, so I would go with it.

I've had one of those Xbox wireless dongles for ages and it is so useful. I don't even have a 360 anymore, left it in the US when I moved abroad 6 years ago, but I've been carrying the same xbox 360 wireless controller all this time. Seriously, folks, if you own a 360 do yourself a favor and get the dongle. I actually never had to do anything special to get it working, either.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In my old age, I've become less excited about video games. If something amazing comes out, I will buy it a year later on Steam for cheap, get around to it whenever, and play it in 15 minute bursts over a couple of months until I finally finish it. I'm installing this game before I leave for work, then playing it all weekend. The only thing that bums me out is that I will only be able to play it for the first time once. On my first Dark Souls character, I grabbed the zweihander at the beginning and smashed my way through the game. Is there anything like that I can grab early on?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
^^Everything works differently now. You'll never block again, for starters. You can get a two-hander early on.

I hope DS2 on PC has as many people for multiplayer as it does on the consoles. Yanking people into my world and getting yanked into theirs was definitely the best part. Bellbros for life (and undeath. Lots of undeath.)!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

In my old age, I've become less excited about video games. If something amazing comes out, I will buy it a year later on Steam for cheap, get around to it whenever, and play it in 15 minute bursts over a couple of months until I finally finish it. I'm installing this game before I leave for work, then playing it all weekend. The only thing that bums me out is that I will only be able to play it for the first time once. On my first Dark Souls character, I grabbed the zweihander at the beginning and smashed my way through the game. Is there anything like that I can grab early on?

If you're lucky and you pick the right starting gift, there's a chance that you can get something that's even bigger and smashier than the zwei right out of the gate!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The mace. You're going to be using the mace the whole game if you wanna go smashy. That's just how it'll work.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're lucky and you pick the right starting gift, there's a chance that you can get something that's even bigger and smashier than the zwei right out of the gate!

Uh, what?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

One of the starting gifts is the "top tier" trade in item for the crows in this game. Everything they give out is RANDOM. Top tier rewards include slabs, twinkling, the channelers trident, Demons Great Hammer and the best whip in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Isn't some of their stuff the only way to get it too?