Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

the best whip in the game.

Best... whip? :psyduck: Are they actually useful now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I mean, some people found them useful before.

Personally, I think they're better, but I also didn't want to use them at all after playing around a bit. They could be so much more interesting than they are.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Whips have amazing range, also the old whip which you get from the trade does 340 damage fully upgraded (+ scaling)

But yeah, Old Whip, Channelers Trident and Demons Great Hammer are all trade only items. You can get unlimited trade items though if you really want so you will get them sooner or later.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not going to go on an internet outrage campaign, but I do think it'll be very disappointing if the game will never end up looking as good as it initially did in that footage. This is a series that genuinely benefits from it, I think.

As someone who beat PS3 and is getting PC, it's absolutely a series that is being held back by the old gen and needs to seriously move on

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So incredibly stoked for the PC release. I didn't get to do multiplayer much on my PS3 playthrough due to internet connection problems with the system, but no such trouble on the PC. This weekend has been booked. :unsmigghh:

To pass the time in the meanwhile I'm working on a submission for a fanart contest for that giant promotional knight statue they had at conventions. Which I don't expect to win but it would be hilarious.

As for anyone else who played 360/PS3 prior to this: Do what I'm doing and make your first character a Deprived, take [the right choice], and use what you get to help you decide on build. It's perfectly sound reasoning.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 21, 2014

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Do we know if they're using some kind of hack protection this time around? I opted for the PC version this time since the port is apparently quality, but I'm a little worried about having my jolly good cooperation hosed up by hackers/cheaters, which seems to be the chink in the PC version's armor.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The hacking in the pc version is that when people do hack you pretty much die instantly, but you almost never really encounter hackers tbh.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mazed posted:

So incredibly stoked for the PC release. I didn't get to do multiplayer much on my PS3 playthrough due to internet connection problems with the system, but no such trouble on the PC. This weekend has been booked. :unsmigghh:

To pass the time in the meanwhile I'm working on a submission for a fanart contest for that giant promotional knight statue they had at conventions. Which I don't expect to win but it would be hilarious.

As for anyone else who played 360/PS3 prior to this: Do what I'm doing and make your first character a Deprived, take [redacted], and use what you get to help you decide on build. It's perfectly sound reasoning.

Thanks for spoiling which starting gift is the trade item. :mad:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Another spoiler is that none of them is the pendant. :toot:

Of course to some that might actually be a disappointment. Dark Souls.

e. but I did edit that anyway, 'cause some people might only now just be waking up and seeing that there's this thread.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 21, 2014

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Those of us that did know of this thread, expect it to remain spoiler free. Especially those of us trying to remain in the dark until Friday when we experience it for the first time :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrickenMoron posted:

One of the starting gifts is the "top tier" trade in item for the crows in this game. Everything they give out is RANDOM. Top tier rewards include slabs, twinkling, the channelers trident, Demons Great Hammer and the best whip in the game.

I've been keeping myself in the dark about DS2 except some mechanics, are whips worth using now? What did that other goon mean when he said you won't be blocking? Is rolling that much better now? I plan on going through the game with my usual rpg battlemage build (with the bonus of magic and pyromancy being one). Though, dark sorcery is in faith now isn't it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Already played through on console so as soon as PC launches its loving invasion time :black101:

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been keeping myself in the dark about DS2 except some mechanics, are whips worth using now? What did that other goon mean when he said you won't be blocking? Is rolling that much better now? I plan on going through the game with my usual rpg battlemage build (with the bonus of magic and pyromancy being one). Though, dark sorcery is in faith now isn't it?

Whips do seem a little more viable than DS1, and there's a few more, although they're not amazing or anything AFAIK.

Rolling isn't so much better as worse if anything. I don't know what that goon meant by you won't be blocking; its harder to cheese stuff with rolls in this game than DS1, so I ended up relying on my shield way more. I guess in PvP you won't be able to as much because there's a shield bash move which messes you up. Rolling isn't really bad but is sightly worse than DS1, or at least requires a stat investment to be as good as DS1, although the weight requirements are a little more tolerant. There's no more flippy ninja dark wood grain ring though, and rolls aren't about hitting specific numbers as much, the roll curve is more natural. You don't get the best roll unless you're naked, so its harder to take advantage of.

Battlemage is super fun and there's even more spells in DS2 for battlemages and pure wizards both.

Dark Sorcery: Is called Hexes. It uses BOTH faith and intelligence. Some spells use a bell to cast, others use a staff. The spell itself will tell you. There are some special staves which can work as both a bell and a staff for casting hexes. Hexes use the LOWER of your faith or intelligence, so you gain the most from keeping both high together. Pyromancy on the other hand uses faith and intelligence regardless of which is lower.

All 4 schools of magic in DS2 Sorcery, Miracles, Hexes and Pyromancy are very viable and very powerful. Each requires a different build to optimize.

Remember You can respec several times in a single run, so you don't have to worry about committing so bad. You can try out all magic and then respec to be good at the one you like best!

Also something to know There's a really nice spell for spellswords in magic weapon, greater magic weapon, crystal magic weapon, as well as lightning blade and greater lightning blade, as well as dark blade (hex) and other greater dark blades. There's also a pyromancy for fire blade, but you can't get it until you go to new game+ or use a bonfire ascetic on a certain region to level it up, so if you're going spellsword you probably want to start out as sorcery and use magic weapon or hex weapon and then do fire weapon later.

Oh yeah and one big change from DS1 when it comes to spellswords and enchantments!! You can stack Magic Weapon on a weapon that is encanted, like a Magic Claymore +5. Not only do the bonus magic damage stack, but the magic weapon or greater magic weapon or crystal magic weapon damage applies a bonus to the weapon's own magic damage stat as well! This also applies to lightning weapons and sunlight blade or lightning blade or whatever its called, or dark weapons and dark blade, or fire weapons and fire blade. This does not apply however to items! You cannot use pine resin on an enchanted blade, only spells! In this way, if you want to be a spellsword and you make your intelligence very high, then you can wield something like a Magic Longsword +10 which will have lots of magic damage from your int scaling, then cast crystal magic weapon on top, which adds more and gives you bonus, and you'll hit like a truck.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 21, 2014

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

There is a whip you can get early in, via trading a starting gift, that is quite strong. The other whips are marginally less useful. You'll be blocking, but shields overall have been nerfed a bit, specifically you won't be finding one with 100% block for a little while. Rolling is good, but you'll be wanting to invest in the stat that makes it better (adaptability). Hexes (dark sorcery) scale with both int and faith and require at least a bit of each to use.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Battlemage is super fun and there's even more spells in DS2 for battlemages and pure wizards both.

That's great, I think this time then I'll have to focus on strength/intelligence, then put secondary points in vitality/dexterity/faith, and respec depending on which I like more. I like that I can't just ignore faith/resistance (because it doesn't exist on its own) anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

That's great, I think this time then I'll have to focus on strength/intelligence, then put secondary points in vitality/dexterity/faith, and respec depending on which I like more. I like that I can't just ignore faith/resistance (because it doesn't exist on its own) anymore.

Yeah DS2 is much harder to min/max than DS1 was. There's no dump stat like resistance, and everything is good in multiple ways. Endurance is split between Vitality and Endurance (the old Vitality is now Vigor, confusingly enough, shoulda just made Vigor the new Endurance stat but no) and there's also Adaptability.

Pretty much every character needs Vigor, Vitality, Endurance and Adaptability, and then your choice of Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Faith, or all four on top. So good luck picking where to put your level points! Luckily the respecing means you don't have to feel horrible about it.

Also you can upgrade a +5 Longsword into a +5 Lightning Longsword or whatever directly and it keeps the + levels. You don't have to get a specific level (you could go +3 longsword -> +3 fire longsword if you want) and you don't have to level it up from 0 again. Super nice!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think i'll cry if my pc can't handle Dark Souls II

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Sivek posted:

25% off voucher at GMG that's applicable to Dark Souls II.

It only last a day, so get on it.

GMG025-EASTER-024HRS

Combine it with those sweet playfire funbux for some cheap Dark Souls II.

This was posted in the DS1 PC thread. Thought I'd post it to get more people to see it. I was able to place an order just fine. $37.50 all told.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I've heard they are viable enough to play through the game. Which means my first character is going to be a Belmont.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 21, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dark Souls 2's apparently up for preload now, so get going on it everyone.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Nuuvem just released their keys, so now you can stare at the play button the next three days!

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Can you sit at your favorite boss and sunbro forever or do you have to eventually move on?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Man I hope G2A isn't shady and pulls through on my key.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

GMG released their keys as well, pre-loading now.

Can't wait to Bloodbro it up this time, might do a dual Caestus run since I already ran through on PS3 release and know what to expect. I got about halfway through DS1 on a punchman run, but gave up at O&S. Should be more satisfying in the sequel, dual wielding even without power stance feels a lot better.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Played 1.5 games already on PS3, can't wait to play on PC because gently caress loading times.

neonbregna posted:

Can you sit at your favorite boss and sunbro forever or do you have to eventually move on?

Matchmaking is based on total souls earned instead of levels, but Dark Souls II is also built a lot more around building up levels (so bad players are going to be way overlevelled a lot of the time). So you theoretically have to move on, but I was able to max out the sunbro covenant with 2 or 3 bosses. At least on PS3, it's way easier to find co-op partners than in Dark Souls 1. Also the way enemy respawning works encourages co-oping bosses.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was able to go back to earlier-game bosses from later on and still be summoned. I think it's not only soul memory at play, but most of the levels can be done in any order so you can find people at wildly various levels going through the same area.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks to bonfire ascetics existing you should get coop somewhere always. Also the bellbro areas are going to be hellish on PC because of the short loading times!

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

USMC_Karl posted:

I've had one of those Xbox wireless dongles for ages and it is so useful. I don't even have a 360 anymore, left it in the US when I moved abroad 6 years ago, but I've been carrying the same xbox 360 wireless controller all this time. Seriously, folks, if you own a 360 do yourself a favor and get the dongle. I actually never had to do anything special to get it working, either.

Just wanted to agree that the Xbox wireless dongle is indeed amazing, best $30 I ever spent. By the way you can connect multiple controllers to a single dongle, perfect for multiplayer Steam games in the living room. I had no idea it could do that until recently.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Anony Mouse posted:

By the way you can connect multiple controllers to a single dongle, perfect for multiplayer Steam games in the living room. I had no idea it could do that until recently.

Yes, this is by far the easiest way to get local 4 player going with a steam game.

This would be better if I didn't also hate the 360 controller in its entirety, but the convenience factor for games like samurai gunn, etc, outweighs it by a large margin.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The quality-of-life and basic gameplay changes here are pretty much all-around fantastic. The world design and story have their ups and downs, but that's all pretty subjective.

Mans posted:

I think i'll cry if my pc can't handle Dark Souls II

The requirements seem pretty lenient, and to be sure, this is a game designed for last-gen consoles that's actually been optimized for PC this time around (DaS1 was not). If you have a PC that's been able to play any big-budget game release in the past few years, you're probably good to go.

Though, I do kinda wonder about both the cloth physics and the very fine-tuned dynamic lighting, and whether or not those will be highly resource-intensive.

Atlasesque
Apr 8, 2014
I'm so loving ready to SL1 the first time through.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Atlasesque posted:

I'm so loving ready to SL1 the first time through.

Almost impossible this time around. Also you can get invaded by much higher SL players because of soul memory, so have fun.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VanillaGorilla posted:

Do we know if they're using some kind of hack protection this time around? I opted for the PC version this time since the port is apparently quality, but I'm a little worried about having my jolly good cooperation hosed up by hackers/cheaters, which seems to be the chink in the PC version's armor.

There is no known protection. However, Namco Bandai claims they're going to server ban people for it this time in response to the PS3 megamule.

Except it seems that nobody has been banned for megamuling yet despite that threat, so it is questionable if they intend to do anything. Unless they're doing it in huge waves.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Almost impossible this time around. Also you can get invaded by much higher SL players because of soul memory, so have fun.

It is possible, but it is brutal. Far more so than DaS1. It gets somewhat easier when you find ways to add attunement without actually having to level it, but even then it's going to be a tough swallow for all but the most patient players. It's a slog requiring immense tenacity this time around, rather than the way it was just a weird, quirky but flavorful playstyle in the first.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Awesome, I wasn't sure when GMG would hand out the keys and the fact that it's already pre-loading is even better.

Now I'm just annoyed that the game is launching on a Friday instead of a Tuesday like every other game ever.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I hope amazon releases their key soon, but they say it won't release until the 25th, do they ever send them out early?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Preloadin' my Steam copy :woop:

Cannot fuckin' wait for this.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

What do you guys think the best starting class is for a keyboard+mouse player who will be annoyed when he gets invaded?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Pre load complete so hype right now. So is hexing they way to go right now for invading?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Fina posted:

Awesome, I wasn't sure when GMG would hand out the keys and the fact that it's already pre-loading is even better.

Now I'm just annoyed that the game is launching on a Friday instead of a Tuesday like every other game ever.

Now you know what every european feels when any video game launches :colbert:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

pmchem posted:

What do you guys think the best starting class is for a keyboard+mouse player who will be annoyed when he gets invaded?

Deprived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

pmchem posted:

Probably Cleric or Sorcerer. Magic tends to make things trivial in these games. Haven't played DaS2 though!