Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
How are Clerics this time around? I've been Clericin' since Demon's, are miracles good?

Also I'm kinda hoping that the PC version is full of hackable holes and things like the multiplayer fix are possible this time around too. PC dark souls was a strange beast where you could join a game where a giant mask was just... hangin' out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Minorkos posted:

Probably Cleric or Sorcerer. Magic tends to make things trivial in these games. Haven't played DaS2 though!

This is pretty true still. Might be even more so since (item-related) you can very easily obtain items that restore spell castings without having to rest.

Magic almost always trivializes bosses still. I'd advise using it sparingly if you're looking for more interesting battles there.

Some other item stuff (don't mouse over if you like discovering this kinda thing through your own experience):

Striking weapons, such as maces are incredibly good in this game. First playthrough was with a normal mace, upgraded without any elemental buffs, with modest strength, and it handily wrecked everything I came across.

Certain recognizable weapons returning from the first game have, in some cases, had their favored stat changed. This includes the zweihander, which now scales better with dex, and the estoc, which is better with strength.

Equip load has higher thresholds now, and this is somewhat disappointing as it makes heavy armor rather overpowered.

Equipment durability is a bigger concern now. Weapons have far less of it, in particular. It often pays to have a backup.

Shields aren't as reliable as before. 100%-physical-block ones are very rare early on. The penalty for having your guard broken is a rather lengthy stun that is nasty in PvE and pretty much guaranteed to get you obliterated in PvP. Overall the game wants you to rely less on them, it seems.

Dual-wielding is not only feasible now, but actually really good, and there's a new 'power stance' you can assume by holding down a button if you have the minimum stats+half again for what you have in each hand. It looks awesome and opens up entirely new move sets.

Hexes, the new spell category require both intelligence and faith. Builds that make the most of them have a tendency to be glass cannons, but the spells feel generally strong enough to make it fair.

There are also several new, distinctive weapon categories. Try them all.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Is it possible that the modding community will be able to make a mod that brings back the lighting from the preview? If so, I might get this when I upgrade my computer this summer.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Grondoth posted:

How are Clerics this time around? I've been Clericin' since Demon's, are miracles good?

Compared to dark souls 1 I'd say they got a solid boost. How elemental weapons work means faith will be a solid boost to melee. Lightning spears aren't limited to one copy ever from the sunbros, and wrath of the gods is a tremendous pain in the dick if there is lag. Like I've been 1 shot for 1750 hp with great magic barrier up because it was kinda laggy and I misjudged. Faith also gets you half way to hexes which are also pretty interesting.

Magic overall is pretty powerful and being at range keeps you safer in most PvE stuff. Lots of people I invaded relied pretty heavily on sorcery or hexes. There is one way specifically I've found that shuts them down absurdly to the point where some hosts have kinda froze up when I just kept coming through their huge wall of spells. So its not broken even if you aren't a god of rolling through spells. The whole meta is still in flux and every few days a new thing is 'unbeatable' because nobody has figured out how to counter it.

Notably different though is defense actually matters instead of just poise and looks. It probably won't save you when a dragon steps on you but from normal attacks and especially pvp you'll see the difference.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

THE MOON! posted:

Is it possible that the modding community will be able to make a mod that brings back the lighting from the preview? If so, I might get this when I upgrade my computer this summer.

I'd say no. The game still looks good though!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Wait, on Steam it says the game unlocks on the 24th. Are we getting the game a day early?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Is the OP still around?

Anyways, modder Durante posted his second (of three) article on Dark Souls 2 PC, this one a tweaking guide. It covers anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, and includes sections about using Nvidia Inspector and SweetFX. Next one "will investigate the possibilities for and likelihood of more in-depth and game-specific modding of Dark Souls 2 in the future".

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Wait, on Steam it says the game unlocks on the 24th. Are we getting the game a day early?

Was about to post this myself, to be fair it unlocks in the middle of the afternoon and not immediately on the 24th, but that's still pretty cool of them to move it up!

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Simultaneous release/timezones etc.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

quote:

**Important message for DARK SOULS II PC fans**

With the global release of the PC version of DARK SOULS II coinciding with the ANZAC day public holiday on Friday 25th of April 2014, we have decided to launch the product on the 24th of April to enable consumers to play the game when it is launched globally on the 25th.

However, because of the global release date, users will not be able to play DARK SOULS II before Friday 25th of April at 08:00 AM AEST, at which point the servers will be set online globally. Consumers may pre-install the game if they purchase on the Thursday, however they will be greeted with a message notifying them that the game is not yet available to play.

Consumers in Australia and New Zealand will be the first to play DARK SOULS II on PC once servers go live on the 25th and we hope that by enabling sale of the product on the 24th this will allow everyone the chance to start their journey and go beyond death without delay. Praise the sun!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Durante posted a Tweak guide as a follow up to the last article he wrote for PC Gamer.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Amazon delayed the shipping of the collector's edition of DS2 by a week in Europe. :smith:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Everything is a lie. :negative:

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Is anything known about which steamworks features are going to be supportet? Cloud saves would be awesome and VAC might work well against hacking.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Are the prepurchase items really only for if you prepurchase the game, or is it like when you prepurchase you get them at game start & else you have to find them?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Preoder: They start in your inventory.
No Preorder: You can buy them from an NPC roughly 2/3rds in the game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kinda wondering if your name in-game will always appear as your Steam name or they'll actually be cool this time and let it show as the name you gave your character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mazed posted:

Kinda wondering if your name in-game will always appear as your Steam name or they'll actually be cool this time and let it show as the name you gave your character.

Steam name would be vastly superior because if you wanted to RP you could just change it to your character name and/or whoever you're cosplaying as at will.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Should be your steam name, because it shows your account name on both 360 and PS3.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Wait is release still 25th? I read somewhere it got pushed to May

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

Alan Smithee posted:

Wait is release still 25th? I read somewhere it got pushed to May

Phsyical did, in europe.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Doom Goon posted:

Is the OP still around?

Anyways, modder Durante posted his second (of three) article on Dark Souls 2 PC, this one a tweaking guide. It covers anti-aliasing, ambient occlusion, and includes sections about using Nvidia Inspector and SweetFX. Next one "will investigate the possibilities for and likelihood of more in-depth and game-specific modding of Dark Souls 2 in the future".

I've been off lately working on my game but I'll update the OP tomorrow. Lots has happened since.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Also it should be noted that those items are kind of garbage. At least I haven't found any use for them. Though it is the only way for all but one class to start with a shield from the very beginning.

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Phsyical did, in europe.

Really? I just got my CE today :shobon:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Should be your steam name, because it shows your account name on both 360 and PS3.

gently caress yea

"Dark Spirit Summoning Failed has invaded" :getin:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Kanos posted:

Steam name would be vastly superior because if you wanted to RP you could just change it to your character name and/or whoever you're cosplaying as at will.

Oh good! That works in a pinch.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

"Dark Spirit Summoning Failed has invaded" :getin:

And this is why this is good

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Thanks! Not gonna preorder then, getting a unch of stuff at the start is no fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Belgian posted:

Thanks! Not gonna preorder then, getting a unch of stuff at the start is no fun.

All the weapons are worthless garbage replaced the moment you do a single zone and almost any class's starting equipment is better than the lot of it anyway.

Preorder is worth it if only for the OST and the art.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 22, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

All the weapons are worthless garbage replaced the moment you do a single zone and almost any class's starting equipment is better than the lot of it anyway.

Is the ost and comic out yet BTW?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Is the ost and comic out yet BTW?

Negative :(

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mazed posted:

Oh good! That works in a pinch.

And this is why this is good

Except the fail msg is in a different kind of window. Anyone who will fall for this would fall for the ring that makes you look like a white phantom :saddowns:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kanos posted:

The catalyst you get is actually decent for sorceries and Hexes, better than default one at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bummer, wanted to pass the time a little until Friday.

quote:

The catalyst you get is actually decent for sorceries and Hexes, better than default one at least.

Did they make it more transparent when you should use which catalysts, or is mostly trial and error until you load up a wiki again?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
e: dang 2 threads :argh:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

So does this mean the game will be playable on Thursday evening for us Americans?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Except the fail msg is in a different kind of window. Anyone who will fall for this would fall for the ring that makes you look like a white phantom :saddowns:

Considering some people fall for Silver Knight disguises in Anor Londo...

Oldboy
Sep 16, 2010
Stopping in to let people know the (NA) version listed on GMG activates outside of the USA.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

Did they make it more transparent when you should use which catalysts, or is mostly trial and error until you load up a wiki again?

Items have Lightning and Fire and Dark scaling now, instead of Int and Faith, so that's a little clearer.

Determining which staff (not catalyst anymore! :eng101:) works best can be a little tricky between scaling and base magic power as it always was. But you don't have to open up the wiki, you can just test a single spell out with each and see which does more damage :cheeky:

Vanderdeath posted:

So does this mean the game will be playable on Thursday evening for us Americans?

It looks like later on Thursday, yeah. My time zone I think its 5PM. Cool stuff!

Grondoth posted:

There are both a ton more miracles and I feel miracles are overall more powerful by far in this game! Good news!

Also in DS1 you had to be IN covenants for the best miracles. In DS2 almost none of the miracles come from covenants at all, and those that do can be used after you leave the covenant! (You know what I'm talking about :wink:)

So where in DS1 almost nobody used the princess' powers to heal their party, in DS2 you can be a party-healing cleric right from the very beginning. The basic heal spell works on your allies if they're nearby, and you get other self buffs and group regen spells later. Also miracles have more offensive options as well.

Both paladins and pure clerics should be far more viable and fun in DS2 than DS1 :)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 22, 2014

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vanderdeath posted:

I don't think so, the servers go live at 8:00 AM AEST on Friday, which is 6:00 PM Thursday EST. That message further up the page seems to mean that while the servers will be active worldwide, you still won't be able to play until the 25th in your time zone. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm so stoked for this game, I wasn't ever able to play Dark Souls because of GFWL/WIN 8 shenanigans, but having seen a couple friends play it quite a bit, I'm excited to fire this thing up get murdered over and over again.

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Preloading now. I bought a video card yesterday for this game; it's been around 5 years since my last gpu purchase. The anticipation is beginning to build into that gross, child-like Christmas eve feeling.

I'm a soul man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Items have Lightning and Fire and Dark scaling now, instead of Int and Faith, so that's a little clearer.

Determining which staff (not catalyst anymore! :eng101:) works best can be a little tricky between scaling and base magic power as it always was. But you don't have to open up the wiki, you can just test a single spell out with each and see which does more damage :cheeky:

I meant more about the Int range about which each catalyst was best in, but I guess you're right in that it's not that hard to figure out. Staves instead of wands is rad though.