Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sir Bedevere posted:

Preloading now. I bought a video card yesterday for this game; it's been around 5 years since my last gpu purchase. The anticipation is beginning to build into that gross, child-like Christmas eve feeling.

I'm a soul man.

YOU LIED brotha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

I meant more about the Int range about which each catalyst was best in, but I guess you're right in that it's not that hard to figure out. Staves instead of wands is rad though.

Also there's a Shield that counts as a miracle casting bell as well as a sword that counts as a staff for casting sorceries / hexes as well as staves which can cast miracles & sorceries & hexes . Also some of the staves look really pimp.

Some cool poo poo :)

One thing that seemed odd though was There's not a lot of great pure sorcery staves in the game; it seems most of the staves you find are targeted more at dark damage (hexes). Those work okay for sorceries too, but you kinda want something really good if you're going pure int. There are a few, but the really amazing staves for sorceries aren't available until the real end of the game.

Also There are spells and weapons you can't get until NG+

:siren: If you want to go magic, start as sorcerer or cleric. Its not too hard to level up your strength a bit. Eventually everybody can get all magic, but you won't have access to spells of either type for quite a bit otherwise. Spells are a bit further in than Dark Souls 1. :siren:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 22, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Also there's a Shield that counts as a miracle casting bell as well as a sword that counts as a staff for casting sorceries / hexes as well as staves which can cast miracles & sorceries & hexes . Also some of the staves look really pimp.

Oh yes I'm going to have a fun time with this one. Are there multiple "endings" like in DS1 to go for in new game plus?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
speaking of bell shields I run into a lot of PVPers who have a shield that chimes when you hit it. What's up with that

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I meant more about the Int range about which each catalyst was best in, but I guess you're right in that it's not that hard to figure out. Staves instead of wands is rad though.

I didn't mess much with sorceries, but I'm pretty sure there are no strange weighted scaling factors like last time. Instead, you just get a fair selection of strange catalysts that favor different elements and have different casting speeds. Simply the highest "MagAdjust" (the listed element type damage is the bonus spells of that element type will receive) catalyst isn't all you want to look for. As mentioned above, there are even a few multi-purpose items in there as well.

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh yes I'm going to have a fun time with this one. Are there multiple "endings" like in DS1 to go for in new game plus?

Nope. Just one, and it sucks. If I were you, I would go into Dark Souls 2 expecting little to nothing from the script/lore. That said, there are other changes (including minor lore snips) that make NG+ something other than 'more of the same with harder hitting HP bricks'.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 22, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Something that might have been said, but is worth repeating and should maybe go in the OP:

:siren: YOU DON'T HIT WALLS TO ACTIVATE SECRET DOORS/ILLUSORY WALLS ANYMORE! :siren:

You hit the "use" button (i.e. the "bottom" button on the controller, 'X' on PS3, 'A' on the 360 controller. I have no idea what it will end up being mapped to if you're a weirdo who will use a KB+M.)

This is something that tripped up a LOT of us in the console thread. I was ~1/3 through the game before I figured out you didn't hit walls to activate secret doors.

You might also find messages right in front of a wall that say "ILLUSORY WALL AHEAD" and get upset that the "use" button is only ever letting you read the message and won't activate the secret door...have no fear, that message is a fake. If there is a door there, it will ALWAYS take precedence over reading a message, to avoid this exact situation.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DrBouvenstein posted:

Something that might have been said, but is worth repeating and should maybe go in the OP:

:siren: YOU DON'T HIT WALLS TO ACTIVATE SECRET DOORS/ILLUSORY WALLS ANYMORE! :siren:

There is a fake wall that you have to destroy to get an item, though. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
To expand on that; there are multiple types of secret doors now:

Most secret doors are now like Wolfenstein/Doom doors, they've got a tiny seam on the side that lets you notice they're a secret (normally you'll only notice because there'll be a "secret door ahead" message nearby) and if you merely press the use key, they slide up, just like in Doom.

There are also doors which are secret and have to be broken, but these almost always require you to put a "pharos lockstone" into a nearby switch before you're allowed to break the wall, otherwise the wall is invincible. Entering the lockstone will make a weird ghosty face appear on the door, which makes it pretty obvious. Lockstones are very rare early game, but by halfway through the game you'll be tripping over them. Some of the lockstone secrets are extremely minor or pointless, while others make a world of difference.

Also, :siren: If you or a mob attacks a chest twice, you will break the chest and the contents will turn to rubbish! :siren: (Really important chests are iron chests which can't be broken, but several good things are in wooden chests, like upgrade materials. You REALLY don't want to break those)

There are several sneaky trap rooms From Software has created where there are enemies hiding somewhere out of view, you see some chests, you run for the chests, and get ambushed. You fight off the ambusher and feel pretty good, only to notice the fight cost you the chest! Always lure enemies away from treasure chests to fight!

Also treasure chests have traps now; and the traps seem to change randomly! Keepin you on your toes!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 22, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Except for the disjointed level design I have heard nothing about DS2 I'm not loving.

quote:

Also treasure chests have traps now; and the traps seem to change randomly! Keepin you on your toes!

Are there trap tools like in Morrowind or something to disarm it or is it more "open the chest and run the hell away"?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Nope. Just one, and it sucks. If I were you, I would go into Dark Souls 2 expecting little to nothing from the script/lore. That said, there are other changes (including minor lore snips) that make NG+ something other than 'more of the same with harder hitting HP bricks'.

I disagree. There are a number of additions/corrections to Dks lore that are quite nice. Overall I prefer this game's lore.

Zaphod42 posted:

To expand on that; there are multiple types of secret doors now:

Most secret doors are now like Wolfenstein/Doom doors, they've got a tiny seam on the side that lets you notice they're a secret (normally you'll only notice because there'll be a "secret door ahead" message nearby) and if you merely press the use key, they slide up, just like in Doom.

You mean they're like King's Field doors.
:goonsay:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RBA Starblade posted:

Are there trap tools like in Morrowind or something to disarm it or is it more "open the chest and run the hell away"?

The latter.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RBA Starblade posted:

The latter. All traps can be avoided. I guess I'll spoiler this since you might want to see them firsthand/figure them out on your own:

First kind is crossbow bolts fired at you. They shoot out in an arc in front of it, maybe five of them at 30 degree angles between them? Easily blocked by a shield, and even if they hit you, it's a tiny amount of damage.

There's also poison chests. As soon as you open them ,you'll see a green cloud, Just roll backwards. Your poison meter will fill up a tad, but as long as you roll ASAP, you won't get poisoned.

And I think there's also flame traps? Like the poison ones, just roll out of the way.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

DS3 will be a procedurally generated roguelike. Sometimes the first boss is the Asylum Demon, sometimes it's Bed of Chaos. The real RNG starts here :darksouls:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Except for the disjointed level design I have heard nothing about DS2 I'm not loving.

Yeah, I really love DS2, but its different than DS1. Like Majora's Mask after Ocarina of Time. I was kinda dissapointed in the disjointed level design, but it also frees them up to make the areas more varied. So while the overall "world design" doesn't feel as good as DS1, if you compare a single level from DS2 to DS1 its not bad, or even compares favorably. There's some really pretty or spooky poo poo.

Nope! It is definitely very much "open the chest and run the gently caress away". And the best strategy for how to "away" is different based on which trap it is, and they're random. So good luck! :) (Its not too bad, but it'll kill you a couple times)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

DS3 will be a procedurally generated roguelike. Sometimes the first boss is the Asylum Demon, sometimes it's Bed of Chaos. The real RNG starts here :darksouls:

gently caress I would buy good money for that. Please make this DLC, FROM.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

3D Procedurally generated levels almost always suck. Look at Diablo 3 and Hellgate London. Its REALLY hard to do, from a technical standpoint.

Roguelike Dark Souls would mean completely abandoning level design, which is a huge part of DS. All those carefully placed items that only exist one place in the game which you have to stumble upon, all the secrets and areas, wouldn't exist in a roguelike.

That said I'd still love a game with the Dark Souls combat engine that lets me play forever. It'd be way different though. The levels would look really boring.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IMO procedural generation can totally work if it's limited to a single area, and not the entire focus of the game. There's one area in the game that I think would benefit from that. the dark chasm

For a non-spoiler example, think of the Ancient Cave from Lufia II. It's unable to have any of the puzzle solving the other areas have, but that's fine because it's a single optional area you can choose to do from time to time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh by the way are those stones that play voice clips still in? I loved messing around with those.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh by the way are those stones that play voice clips still in? I loved messing around with those.

Gough's carvings? Yes, absolutely. A merchant sells them.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Gough's carvings? Yes, absolutely. A merchant sells them.

I wish there were more. It's still just the same four,
"Hello!"
"Thank You!"
"Very Good!"
I'm Sorry!"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wish there were more. It's still just the same four,
"Hello!"
"Thank You!"
"Very Good!"
I'm Sorry!"

Supposedly there's a "Help Me" In DaS1 but I'm not sure where it was or if it's in 2 as well

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Very Good!

They are, even though Gough isn't :haw: Although the game references DS1 in other ways too...

Volt Catfish posted:

Supposedly there's a "Help Me" In DaS1 but I'm not sure where it was or if it's in 2 as well

Its in the chasm. There's another that drops too. Gough only sells some.

Hello, Thank you, Help me, I'm sorry, Very Good

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
The 10 early access steam weapons, are they weapons that are only available now and are findable ingame, or are they items already ingame that you will get really early in the game?

In other words, are they exclusive content?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pr0phecy posted:

The 10 early access steam weapons, are they weapons that are only available now and are findable ingame, or are they items already ingame that you will get really early in the game?

They're not exclusive and they're not particularly good either.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pr0phecy posted:

You can buy them all from a dude ingame

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Pr0phecy posted:

Answered earlier on the page! They are mostly poo poo and can be bought form a npc 2/3rds into the game.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006
Green Man Gaming has a 20% coupon, OFU76E-1C6RHK-OX6OMC, that can be applied to Dark Souls II Steam key if anyone was waiting for a deal. It lasts until the 25th.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Some of my favorite weapons in DS1 were the odd things like whips and fists, but they were generally much weaker than pretty much every other conventional weapon (no whip crits :argh:). Has that changed for DS2? Will Indiana Jones-ing it up work now? Also are there more new types of weapons beyond sword/bigsword/hammer/polearm?

Orv
May 4, 2011
So whips actually function somewhat like whips now. Additionally, there aren't any super neat Dragonbone Fist-esque weapons, but the Caestus use Striking damage, which is extra good against basically everything, making a dual Caestus run more than an exercise in frustration.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Orv posted:

So whips actually function somewhat like whips now. Additionally, there aren't any super neat Dragonbone Fist-esque weapons, but the Caestus use Striking damage, which is extra good against basically everything, making a dual Caestus run more than an exercise in frustration.

:swoon:

That looks great! Definitely gonna rock a whip at some point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

When I came into the thread I was hoping for Dark Souls II news, not spoilery information about trap rooms and the like without spoiler tags :(

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

QuarkJets posted:

When I came into the thread I was hoping for Dark Souls II news, not spoilery information about trap rooms and the like without spoiler tags :(

There won't be any more new news about the game, it's releasing in two days and the NDA has been lifted. Everything there is to know is out there. You might get reviews for the PC version on the day and maybe before, but everybody already knows how good the game is.

The most interesting recent articles are at PC Gamer, Durante's (the guy who did DSFix for the original game) done a few articles on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

Some of my favorite weapons in DS1 were the odd things like whips and fists, but they were generally much weaker than pretty much every other conventional weapon (no whip crits :argh:). Has that changed for DS2? Will Indiana Jones-ing it up work now? Also are there more new types of weapons beyond sword/bigsword/hammer/polearm?

There are darth maul twinblades and lances now, so that's two new categories. Also more of everything (except fist weapons) across the board, so there's a few new whips for you Indiana Joneses / Belmonts.

QuarkJets posted:

I've spoiler tagged anything explicit, but if you really don't want to know anything about the mechanics you should go dark and stop reading the thread.

I had to stop reading the console thread for the whole first week of play.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 22, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Kanos posted:

Steam name would be vastly superior because if you wanted to RP you could just change it to your character name and/or whoever you're cosplaying as at will.

Nice, I can roleplay as Navlaan perfectly now! I just need to know his name as an invading spirit, and where I should put my white summon sign...

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

BlueDestiny posted:

Some of my favorite weapons in DS1 were the odd things like whips and fists, but they were generally much weaker than pretty much every other conventional weapon (no whip crits :argh:). Has that changed for DS2?

A powerstanced dual-caestus character is super-fun.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

BlueDestiny posted:

I've heard dual-caestus punching build is fairly decent, while on the other hand I've also heard claws are not very good at all.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I'm all preloaded and ready to go for when I play this game.. Friday afternoon after work.

I only got about 10ish hours into the first game before getting distracted by real life stuff, and I'll probably go back to it at some point but it seems like I can play 2 without any prior knowledge. I've essentially seen the whole game and have a vague understanding of the plot, so that should be enough.

Don't really have any character plans, either. I think I'm just gonna pick stuff up and hit dudes with it.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

The release date on steam changed to Thursday instead of Friday. What an unexpected surprise 8)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mondlicht posted:

I'm all preloaded and ready to go for when I play this game.. Friday afternoon after work.

I only got about 10ish hours into the first game before getting distracted by real life stuff, and I'll probably go back to it at some point but it seems like I can play 2 without any prior knowledge. I've essentially seen the whole game and have a vague understanding of the plot, so that should be enough.

Don't really have any character plans, either. I think I'm just gonna pick stuff up and hit dudes with it.

Yes, 2 is very much an independent and different game than 1. The mechanics and the world both feel different. Its very similar, but Dark 1 -> Dark 2 is about the same as going from Demon -> Dark. In fact DS2 is more like DaS than DeS in many ways. If you expect too much to be like DS1, you'll even get yourself killed a few times.

That said DS1 is in some ways even better, so you really should go back and play through it all :colbert: But you can do that after you play DS2, yeah that's fine.

The best way to go is to try out everything and then build around what works best for you. Pre-conceived notions will only slow you down. Although roleplay builds can be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I've heard dual-caestus punching build is fairly decent, while on the other hand I've also heard claws are not very good at all.

Don't remember the exact thing behind but it's something to do with the fact that while the Caestus is techinally a fist weapon it differs in some gameplay way (maybe just the damage type since it's strike based) from the other fist type weapons which all happen to be claws.