Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

Don't remember the exact thing behind but it's something to do with the fact that while the Caestus is techinally a fist weapon it differs in some gameplay way (maybe just the damage type since it's strike based) from the other fist type weapons which all happen to be claws.

IIRC fist and claw are entirely different fighting styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I play the console version (don't have a PC), but is anyone here willing to provide screenshots of requested areas? There's one in particular that's downright gorgeous that I'd love to have as a wallpaper, though it's late in the game so I'll put it in spoilers

It's the view right after the first fog gate in Shrine of Amana, looking at the Crumbled Ruins with the blue "flowers"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zaphod42 posted:

IIRC fist and claw are entirely different fighting styles.

I just checked out a video of powerstanced Caestus, and nah, they play pretty similarly. It comes down to a few different things that I'll throw in spoilers for people who don't want to know:

This is based on the Claws weapon, which is Slashing.

At +10 it has 130 AR plus E/A scaling in STR/DEX. Additionally, it has 120 Bleed.

So, why are Claws worse than the Caestus? Well, there are a few reasons.

1) The Caestus has A/A scaling, and STR scaling is much better than DEX scaling.
2) Strike is better than Slash.
3) Player bleed got nerfed pretty hard, so that's not much of a benefit to the Claws, even though (when Bleed infused) they have 300 Bleed and can cause Bleed in about three hits.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

actionjackson posted:

I play the console version (don't have a PC), but is anyone here willing to provide screenshots of requested areas? There's one in particular that's downright gorgeous that I'd love to have as a wallpaper, though it's late in the game so I'll put it in spoilers

It's the view right after the first fog gate in Shrine of Amana, looking at the Crumbled Ruins with the blue "flowers"

The game isn't out yet. As soon as it is, sure.

I took like literally 10,000 screenshots of Dark Souls 1. I have a loving huge album. Such an amazing game :allears:

And this time you won't have to hack it to hide the HUD!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zaphod42 posted:

And this time you won't have to hack it to hide the HUD!

The base game had a disable hud option. :eng101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zedd posted:

The base game had a disable hud option. :eng101:

Oh yeah.

Well there wasn't an auto-hide option so there!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah.

Well there wasn't an auto-hide option so there!

There wasn't with dsfix either.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Awesome, Amazon just released their keys, preloading begun. I'm really glad to hear that maces are boss in DS2, as it took until my 3rd playthrough or so of the first before I warmed up to them, but my +10 fire mace is my go to weapon for SL2 darkwraithing. The poise break is fantastic, and I can roleplay as a bernike knight (minus the shield).

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

Zaphod42 posted:

Although roleplay builds can be fun.

I'm already thinking of an Indiana Jones build for a second playthrough. The whip is obvious, but I'm thinking pyromancy as a "gun" so I can reenact this scene.

edit: it's going to mostly hinge on whether I can find a hat. I think most of my first playthrough is going to be planning my outfit

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 23, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Mimetic posted:

I'm already thinking of an Indiana Jones build for a second playthrough. The whip is obvious, but I'm thinking pyromancy as a "gun" so I can reenact this scene.

edit: it's going to mostly hinge on whether I can find a hat. I think most of my first playthrough is going to be planning my outfit

The closest hat to Indy's is the Hunter's Hat iirc.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
I can work with that.

vvvv: even better!

BAD AT STUFF fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 23, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mimetic posted:

You'd probably be better off with a crossbow rather than a pyromancy for somethin' like that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

neetengie posted:

The closest hat to Indy's is the Hunter's Hat iirc.

Durgo's Hat is closer. Tho it's a rare drop from a non-respawning BP enemy that only appears in ng+, and at about the 1/2-way point of the game, so Hunter's Hat is still probably the best option.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Seriously Namco? £40 ($67) for a digital copy when the retail console version are £24?

Time to give a shady keysite my money :ussr:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

repiv posted:

Seriously Namco? £40 ($67) for a digital copy when the retail console version are £24?

Time to give a shady keysite my money :ussr:

You can get it for 20% off from GMG (greenmangaming.com)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

neetengie posted:

Nice, I can roleplay as Navlaan perfectly now! I just need to know his name as an invading spirit, and where I should put my white summon sign...

It's Royal Sorcerer Navlaan.

In fact, everyone who plans on PvPing extensively just change your Steam name to what's in the spoilered text.

It will be sublime.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Mazed posted:

In fact, everyone who plans on PvPing extensively just change your Steam name to what's in the spoilered text.

It will be sublime.

You mean we're not all going to change our steamname to PizzaLawyer420?

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Genocyber posted:

nuumvem is 28euro, and is as legit as gmg afaik (which is why keys are already sent out, unlike reseller sites that send them out at day of realease)

Orcrez
Apr 11, 2009

Genocyber posted:

All I can find is the regular price $49.99 one

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Orcrez posted:

You have to input one of their codes during checkout.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mazed posted:

It will be sublime.

I never got invaded by him. What hexes does he use? Chime/Staff? Shield or no?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Orcrez posted:

Coupons go in after it is in the basket.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BlueDestiny posted:

:swoon:

That looks great! Definitely gonna rock a whip at some point.

Whips are fantastic against organic creatures, terrible on PVP and armor

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

To add onto this the best Indy one (the Old Whip) has really bad durability but amazing damage. You should probably wear a ring to help with the degradation.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Honestly they are so lightweight you should just carry a good secondary weapon

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Wrong, whips are really good. They have long range and the 1handed running attack has great horizontal reach. Old Whip does a ton of damage, too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I have yet to see a single PVPer who could effectively field a whip

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
I've met some dual poison whip invaders. 2 of those builds up poison fast.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

GlennFinito posted:

I've met some dual poison whip invaders. 2 of those builds up poison fast.

Sexy party Solaire?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I heard you get some bonus starting weapons if you pre order the game on steam today, anyone know what they are?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nothing special or exclusive. They're all listed on the store page.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Eh, a slight bonus to the comic/Soundtrack really.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Mazed posted:

It will be sublime.

So it's confirmed that invasions pop up as your Steam name and not your character name? If so this is awesome.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^^^^ I don't think anything's confirmed until Friday. But we're highly speculating that's the case.

Mazed posted:

It will be sublime.

Would also accept Kirk, Knight of Thorns; Xanthous King, Jeremiah; Maneater Mildred; Marvellous Chester;

Although I'm more the co-op sort so I'm probably gonna rolls as either Black Iron Tarkus or Solaire of Astora.

I guess Knight Lautrec of Carim or Paladin Leeroy would work both ways :)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For those on the fence, GMG has this 25% off code for Dark Souls 2.

J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ

Quick, you only have a day and something!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Azran posted:

For those on the fence, GMG has this 25% off code for Dark Souls 2.

J4XXU2-JTFTLL-8ENDXZ

Quick, you only have a day and something!

Jumped on the gun, thanks!

Now my body is ready to die

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Turns out refunding your Steam preorder only puts money back in your Steam wallet. Oh well I'm sure I'll spend it on something else anyway. Thanks for the GMG discount.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

I don't think so, the servers go live at 8:00 AM AEST on Friday, which is 6:00 PM Thursday EST. That message further up the page seems to mean that while the servers will be active worldwide, you still won't be able to play until the 25th in your time zone. I hope I'm wrong though.

I agree, this message below is worded terribly:

quote:

**Important message for DARK SOULS II PC fans**

With the global release of the PC version of DARK SOULS II coinciding with the ANZAC day public holiday on Friday 25th of April 2014, we have decided to launch the product on the 24th of April to enable consumers to play the game when it is launched globally on the 25th.

However, because of the global release date, users will not be able to play DARK SOULS II before Friday 25th of April at 08:00 AM AEST, at which point the servers will be set online globally. Consumers may pre-install the game if they purchase on the Thursday, however they will be greeted with a message notifying them that the game is not yet available to play.

Consumers in Australia and New Zealand will be the first to play DARK SOULS II on PC once servers go live on the 25th and we hope that by enabling sale of the product on the 24th this will allow everyone the chance to start their journey and go beyond death without delay. Praise the sun!

Does that mean that ANZACs will be first to play, at Friday 0800 AEST, and everyone else has to wait for Friday 0800 local time before the servers will accept a connection from your IP? That would seem to make no sense. It could be bypassed via VPN if it's IP based, or via changing computer clock if it's just a timezone/settings check. On the other hand, if it's "everyone on Earth" plays at Friday 0800 AEST, the servers are gonna get crushed and the phrasing of "may pre-install the game if they purchase on the Thursday, however they will be greeted with a message notifying them that the game is not yet available" and "Consumers in Australia and New Zealand will be the first to play DARK SOULS II on PC" is really weird.

I just want to play when it unlocks on Steam tomorrow. I hope they're not teasing us here but I my google-fu is failing at finding a definitive statement. Anyone else have a solid reference?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Can't loving wait for this, gonna own real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

pmchem posted:

I agree, this message below is worded terribly:

Does that mean that ANZACs will be first to play, at Friday 0800 AEST, and everyone else has to wait for Friday 0800 local time before the servers will accept a connection from your IP? That would seem to make no sense. It could be bypassed via VPN if it's IP based, or via changing computer clock if it's just a timezone/settings check. On the other hand, if it's "everyone on Earth" plays at Friday 0800 AEST, the servers are gonna get crushed and the phrasing of "may pre-install the game if they purchase on the Thursday, however they will be greeted with a message notifying them that the game is not yet available" and "Consumers in Australia and New Zealand will be the first to play DARK SOULS II on PC" is really weird.

I just want to play when it unlocks on Steam tomorrow. I hope they're not teasing us here but I my google-fu is failing at finding a definitive statement. Anyone else have a solid reference?

The way it's phrased implies that servers will come up at 0800 AEST April 25th, which is when the game releases for the rest of the world, so who fuckin' knows.