Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Any recommendations on what to do with these bonfire ascetics? Items like this give me decision paralysis: they feel like megalixers.

There's a way to grind as many as you want in the late game, as long as you don't mind turning the area into NG++++++++.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Iirc you have to beat the boss before you can ascetic again so just FYI

No, Foregarden doesn’t have a boss linked to it. Guardian dragon is linked to the hidden bonfire later in the zone. You can ascetic Foregarden as many times as you want. Just watch out for the giant basilisk.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FireWorksWell posted:

Without getting too spoilery there's an endgame area with Aerie in its name that has a bunch of crystal lizards and other enemies that make for decent upgrade mat farming. Iirc there's an ascetic you can grab there each run too.

In Scholar it's a much bigger pain in the rear end though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

John Murdoch posted:

In Scholar it's a much bigger pain in the rear end though.

What makes it worse? It's something I only bothered to do in the original 2

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

skasion posted:

No, Foregarden doesn’t have a boss linked to it. Guardian dragon is linked to the hidden bonfire later in the zone. You can ascetic Foregarden as many times as you want. Just watch out for the giant basilisk.

Oh right, duh lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FireWorksWell posted:

What makes it worse? It's something I only bothered to do in the original 2

Scholar adds loads more exploding mummies throughout.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Went to iron keep and did battle with many knights. So many knights. They jump out from behind every pillar and window. Knights... Everywhere.

I think by the time I finally defeated the forge demon I had amassed like 150k souls. Demon was a damage sponge with some sneaky stuff.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mustached Demon posted:

Went to iron keep and did battle with many knights. So many knights. They jump out from behind every pillar and window. Knights... Everywhere.

I think by the time I finally defeated the forge demon I had amassed like 150k souls. Demon was a damage sponge with some sneaky stuff.

Yeah, Iron Keep is great. Archers, knights, more knights, more archers, archers who are happy to pin you down from multiple directions, traps that are extremely obvious in retrospect, and that's just the area you've been to! Such a fun area, with a lot of neat twists.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, Iron Keep is great. Archers, knights, more knights, more archers, archers who are happy to pin you down from multiple directions, traps that are extremely obvious in retrospect, and that's just the area you've been to! Such a fun area, with a lot of neat twists.

Even more knights! And fire!

I have like 3 full sets of armor. I really want the big shoulder pads ones to drop.

I have 30 HP and 30 stam stat now thanks to the smelter demon.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

greatest thread title ever, makes me rofl every time

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you like the vibes of DS "The Buried Giant" by Kazuo Ishiguro might be up your alley. Mists, forgetfulness and aging knights in rusting armour.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Time to craft yourself that Smelter Sword from the soul. It's not the best weapon ever, but it does pack a punch and it looks :discourse:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

FishMcCool posted:

Time to craft yourself that Smelter Sword from the soul. It's not the best weapon ever, but it does pack a punch and it looks :discourse:

It also has a special dual-wield interaction with a DLC sword :unsmigghh:

rye on white
May 5, 2013
getting owned by darklurker, ran out of effigies. any way to get a bunch of them fast?

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

rye on white posted:

getting owned by darklurker, ran out of effigies. any way to get a bunch of them fast?
Hoo boy, does this thread ever have a good way for that.

The mansion in Majula has a basement with skeletons. These drop effigies, but don't respawn, so you gotta use Bonfire Ascetics to farm them. Don't worry though, you can heal in the mansion.

giZm fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 28, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Conquered Iron Keep and whatever pathway to Satan you call the place the Rotten exists. That's an awful descent that makes the rot lake look like Tahoe. Nice work, Miyazaki, hiding the poison swamp in statues.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It makes the Rotten sad but just break 'em.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Run along the edge there with a torch and look down. Or just look for clumps of Player messages.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

It makes the Rotten sad but just break 'em.

I don't think the Rotten cares anymore don't worry.

It wasn't that awful just some solid Souls design.

I apparently killed an NPC: scorpion bro. The bloodstains and very obvious sniping spot told me to kill with arrows. Oh well he dropped a sweet ring.

rye on white
May 5, 2013

giZm posted:

Hoo boy, does this thread ever have a good way for that.

The mansion in Majula has a basement with skeletons. These drop effigies, but don't respawn, so you gotta use Bonfire Ascetics to farm them. Don't worry though, you can heal in the mansion.

that got me enough to beat him, thanks !

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Mustached Demon posted:

I don't think the Rotten cares anymore don't worry.

It wasn't that awful just some solid Souls design.

I apparently killed an NPC: scorpion bro. The bloodstains and very obvious sniping spot told me to kill with arrows. Oh well he dropped a sweet ring.

You thought he's a monster, but the real monster was you all along

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Scorpion bro had it coming with his divorced/incel energy.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

Scorpion bro had it coming with his divorced/incel energy.

To be fair his wife was fuckin' crazy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
In keeping with the game's themes of "wives, am i right"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The chosen undead has to be a monster in order to endure the suffering of dying to things like cute little geckos and swinging so hard they fall off a cliff.

Scorpion boss was fun though. Smashed it good with my fancy new claymore a head sold me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZullieTheWitch/status/1784638469525913907

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gods knew

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

The true Abysswalker

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's a good thing there's a preamble above the picture, because otherwise that kinda seemed legit. Like, you can kill everything in Majula except for Shalquoir, she knows all about you and your quest, and she sells you stuff that a cat has no business with (tbf cats so tend to acquire a lot of poo poo they have no business with) in exchange for souls. She talks too, but that might be the least abnormal thing about her.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Spider cave is god-damned horrifying. So many more spiders than you can see and bow easily jump out everywhere. It's terrifying.

Oh then there's the torch that makes them not hostile. Then they all die and drop weapons they very obviously stole from undead that did not have a torch.

Boss was cool though, very fun fight reminding me of classic Zelda bosses. Then a flaming mass jumped up and told me to go "visit" the would be king. Off to Drangleic castle.

Lore question: don't spoil it with details but is the king I'm seeking the DS1 chosen undead? Four souls seem to be the souls that got chucked in the soul vessel going off their descriptions.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mustached Demon posted:

Lore question: don't spoil it with details but is the king I'm seeking the DS1 chosen undead?

I don't think there's any info that would support that.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mustached Demon posted:

Lore question: don't spoil it with details but is the king I'm seeking the DS1 chosen undead? Four souls seem to be the souls that got chucked in the soul vessel going off their descriptions.

No but also kinda.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think there's any info that would support that.

The flaming mass seemed to suggest one other undead got close but messed up and that's actually the king I'm seeking. That's where the idea came from. Oh well more will be revealed I'm sure.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

FishMcCool posted:

It's a good thing there's a preamble above the picture, because otherwise that kinda seemed legit. Like, you can kill everything in Majula except for Shalquoir, she knows all about you and your quest, and she sells you stuff that a cat has no business with (tbf cats so tend to acquire a lot of poo poo they have no business with) in exchange for souls. She talks too, but that might be the least abnormal thing about her.

Also you will, at least once, run out of her house and directly into the big pit

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drangleic castle mostly conquered. I didn't see a way to get to the Queen where I'll obviously bash her face in get my head turned to cursed hamburger. At least made it to this rooty shrine area. I did like the statues, good bit of added fear added to the overall setting. No one's been there for a while so the guard just sat there, collecting dust, and became statues. Nothing was a match for the mighty power stance technique of craftsman hammer+mace.

I really want the reflect knight armor, that's some good drip. Currently wearing the syan knight gear it's good but harder to match with cool hats.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Pro tip: if you invade or set down a red sign in the mirror Knight hallway, you can get summoned to help him in a fight against another player

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pro tip: if you invade or set down a red sign in the mirror Knight hallway, you can get summoned to help him in a fight against another player

...those can be real people? One came out but it looked like an NPC I already smashed. Terrifying!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

...those can be real people? One came out but it looked like an NPC I already smashed. Terrifying!

Yup! You'll get an NPC most of the time but they can definitely be real people from time to time. I've done quite a few mirror knight invasions myself. They never expect it lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yup! You'll get an NPC most of the time but they can definitely be real people from time to time. I've done quite a few mirror knight invasions myself. They never expect it lol

I did use the guy with the big blue sword since he seemed like he wanted to come. He was a good meat shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Show some respect to Benhart! He is a true comrade.